what an idiot! (1 Viewer)

Oct 1, 2013
Lanzarote
Funster No
MH
Nil by mouth
Exp
Lots
As most of you know, I love a laugh, (which is more times then not at my own expense), a wind up, and yes, a good old world hard bitten debate at times, but I really do have to say, that this is the very first time I have read of a *FUNSTER* asking a genuine question, (whilst being under some distress), and being answered with contempt and a sneering reply as I witnessed last night. I know that times have changed, and that civility is really now an attitude from past times, but I really do hope that this is not setting a precedent for the future. How would it really be if members, (especially female members), lost all confidence in asking a simple question, for fear of verbal retribution?
All credit to Sue, OK, she made her mistake, but hid nothing, defended the name of the tradesman concerned by not posting his details, and has valiantly struggled to explain that yes, in this case, she was an 'idiot', even naming the thread that way. I just hope that all is rightly resolved in her matter. :)
Ooops, was that aimed at me ? :crying:

lesr48

Free Member
Oct 25, 2014
Ilkeston, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Rimor Katamarano
Exp
Since 2014
Well said Tootles!
Sue, If you get your money back, great - if you don't look on it as only 3 nights pitch fees and write it off as a lesson in life.
Don't rise to the minority sniping and backbiting, I have seen other forums almost fold because of it and it serves no purpose on a forum where 99.9% of posters are really friendly.
I hope you will be happy with whatever outcome and go on to enjoy your motorhome for years to come.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
thank you....that is exactly how it was, and i appreciate your words. It is upsetting ,

We have ALL felt like that at one point or another. Easier said than done but take a deep breath, do what needs to be done to make yourself feel better and move on.

Experience is what you get just after you need it :)

I have a kitchen table micro business and generally sell "cash with order" (okay order via paypal)... however any problems no matter who is at fault I refund as soon as I am informed there is a problem. One of my customers messed up when using my product - she said right out it was her fault - no problem, I refunded AND sent a replacement. Since then I have had several more orders from her and her friends.

OP
OP
Sue

Sue

Aug 13, 2014
Suffolk. Near Bury st Edmunds
Funster No
MH
IH 600rl/rd
Exp
Like PVCs the best
We have ALL felt like that at one point or another. Easier said than done but take a deep breath, do what needs to be done to make yourself feel better and move on.

I have a kitchen table micro business and generally sell "cash with order" (okay order via paypal)... however any problems no matter who is at fault I refund as soon as I am informed there is a problem. One of my customers messed up when using my product - she said right out it was her fault - no problem, I refunded AND sent a replacement. Since then I have had several more orders from her and her friends.
Experience is what you get just after you need it .....i like that!
love your attitude!

OP
OP
Sue

Sue

Aug 13, 2014
Funster No
MH
IH 600rl/rd
Exp
Like PVCs the best
Well said Tootles!
Sue, If you get your money back, great - if you don't look on it as only 3 nights pitch fees and write it off as a lesson in life.
Don't rise to the minority sniping and backbiting, I have seen other forums almost fold because of it and it serves no purpose on a forum where 99.9% of posters are really friendly.
I hope you will be happy with whatever outcome and go on to enjoy your motorhome for years to come.
(y) thank you :)

OP
OP
Sue

Sue

Aug 13, 2014
Funster No
MH
IH 600rl/rd
Exp
Like PVCs the best

forgive my ignorance, but what is a kitchen table micro business?

Apr 13, 2012
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta Euroyacht
Exp
1996, then break 'til 2011
Recently I put a £200 deposit on a van (on ebay) for one of my sons

On the way home I asked him if he had done any checks on the van

He then checked the reg on-line - it was a CAT D write off

It wasn't described as CAT D on ebay - he rang the seller - "too bad you should have checked first"

My son had seen the V5 - CAT D is not shown on V5

We discovered that the seller was right - we should have checked first

We 'knew' the seller was aware of the CAT D and was aware that it does not have to be declared (unless you are a dealer)

It left a bad taste - £200 lost - but (an expensive) lesson learned.............

I let it go ..................

Now ......BARCLAYS.................that's a different matter:boxing::boxing::boxing:

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
forgive my ignorance, but what is a kitchen table micro business?

A (very very) small business run from home without many (or even any) special facilities! An example might be an indie (often self taught) designer selling craft patterns via the internet, someone making and selling jewellery, someone who decorates cakes and so on. Some never grow beyond the kitchen table but others have grown to be sizable concerns.

My business is aimed at smallholders (and other "hobby" animal breeders) who need a special product but in much smaller quantities than the big commercial operations.

OP
OP
Sue

Sue

Aug 13, 2014
Funster No
MH
IH 600rl/rd
Exp
Like PVCs the best

It wasn't described as CAT D on ebay - he rang the seller - "too bad you should have checked first"

We 'knew' the seller was aware of the CAT D and was aware that it does not have to be declared (unless you are a dealer)

It left a bad taste - £200 lost - but (an expensive) lesson learned.............

Now ......BARCLAYS.................that's a different matter:boxing::boxing::boxing:
sounds terrible. you would think that was fraud?

CWH

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 29, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
WildAx PVC
Exp
From November 2013
Hope you're feeling a bit less stressed about it all this morning Sue.

Sometimes you just have to. Removing the angst is worth the money. (If it's not too much that is...)
you would think that was fraud
Not really - the information was available and as I read it, this wasn't a 'commercial' sale, & different rules apply. Maybe a bit sneaky & deliberately underhand though...

My latest DUH money moment (as opposed to DUH three blind mice) was February. In the excitement of finding what sounded like a lovely site open at that time of year & within walking distance of where we needed to be, I forgot to ask if there was hard-standing. I paid in full up-front.
There wasn't and HS, we couldn't actually get onto our (or any other) pitch because of the depth & slipperiness of the mud.
The owner works off-site so we couldn't get hold of him. I found another nearby site (WITH hard-standing!), we moved, & I emailed him out of courtesy to let him know what was going on. I fully expected to lose my money as it was my mistake.
Next day: most of the money's back in my account, and an email to say he'd kept the first night as he could have let the pitch (not sure how but anyway...) & could have put us on the concrete in the yard, but refunded the rest, & if we book there again he'll take the cost of the first night off that fee. It looked nice enough so we may well be back - in dry weather!
So some nice guys out there. Credit where it's due: http://www.homefarmradnage.co.uk/

Mack100

Free Member
Jul 27, 2013
Funster No
MH
Swift
Exp

Very surprised to read this, I can't see how your son was supposed to know something that IMHO should have been disclosed in the product description.
Did he file a dispute with Ebay?

OP
OP
Sue

Sue

Aug 13, 2014
Funster No
MH
IH 600rl/rd
Exp
Like PVCs the best
Hope you're feeling a bit less stressed about it all this morning Sue.

Sometimes you just have to. Removing the angst is worth the money. (If it's not too much that is...)

Not really - the information was available and as I read it, this wasn't a 'commercial' sale, & different rules apply. Maybe a bit sneaky & deliberately underhand though...

My latest DUH money moment (as opposed to DUH three blind mice) was February. In the excitement of finding what sounded like a lovely site open at that time of year & within walking distance of where we needed to be, I forgot to ask if there was hard-standing. I paid in full up-front.
There wasn't and HS, we couldn't actually get onto our (or any other) pitch because of the depth & slipperiness of the mud.
The owner works off-site so we couldn't get hold of him. I found another nearby site (WITH hard-standing!), we moved, & I emailed him out of courtesy to let him know what was going on. I fully expected to lose my money as it was my mistake.
Next day: most of the money's back in my account, and an email to say he'd kept the first night as he could have let the pitch (not sure how but anyway...) & could have put us on the concrete in the yard, but refunded the rest, & if we book there again he'll take the cost of the first night off that fee. It looked nice enough so we may well be back - in dry weather!
So some nice guys out there. Credit where it's due: http://www.homefarmradnage.co.uk/
yes, there are good people out there.
i feel much better now thanks, and have to say that the forum has helped. Probably will still pursue a refund as distance selling rules are quite clear. Looks like a fairly simple process so will go ahead, but i really don't feel stressed now.

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Was a newbie, now a Middie.
yes, there are good people out there.
i feel much better now thanks, and have to say that the forum has helped. Probably will still pursue a refund as distance selling rules are quite clear. Looks like a fairly simple process so will go ahead, but i really don't feel stressed now.
Good to hear. Be like me, 100% stress and confrontation free..........:Eeek:

Apr 13, 2012
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta Euroyacht
Exp
1996, then break 'til 2011
Very surprised to read this, I can't see how your son was supposed to know something that IMHO should have been disclosed in the product description.
Did he file a dispute with Ebay?

It was a classified ad on ebay

Suspect he was a dealer (from home), only had the van for a short time, V5 in previous owners name, said cambelt had been changed but no proof, 'service history' was just old MOTs..............

Probably better off losing £200 than buying the van...........

worst things happen at sea............and at Barclays:whistle:

(y)

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Was a newbie, now a Middie.

Suspect he was a dealer (from home), only had the van for a short time, V5 in previous owners name, said cambelt had been changed but no proof, 'service history' was just old MOTs..............

(y)
Hope you blagged him on 'feedback'........(y)(y)(y)(y)(y)

mjltigger

Free Member
Nov 12, 2014
Trowbridge
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Dakota Max
Exp

(y)

Probably too late and if you've already mentally walked away from the dish then it isn't worth perusing but I think you're probably wrong. Private sales should be described honestly in the advertising just the same as trade. On top of that if the seller is trade then it is illegal to pretend otherwise.

Broken Link Removed

OP
OP
Sue

Sue

Aug 13, 2014
Funster No
MH
IH 600rl/rd
Exp
Like PVCs the best
Just when i thought the universe was telling me to abandon the idea of motorhoming ( everything seems to be going wrong!) I actually got my £60 deposit back ( see opening comment)
It seems that distance selling means everyone who buys over the phone or internet has 7 days cooling off period and is entitled to return of deposit in that period.
So got the deposit back today. Legislation can work in our favour sometimes.

Nov 6, 2013
S. Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
The usual
Exp
Since the beginning
Just when i thought the universe was telling me to abandon the idea of motorhoming ( everything seems to be going wrong!) I actually got my £60 deposit back ( see opening comment)
It seems that distance selling means everyone who buys over the phone or internet has 7 days cooling off period and is entitled to return of deposit in that period.
So got the deposit back today. Legislation can work in our favour sometimes.
I believe (but stand to be corrected) that the limit was raised to 14 days in the latest incarnation of the legislation.

Not withstanding that - really pleased you got your money back !! :)

Reactions: Sue

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back