Mimi

Free Member
Aug 5, 2014
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper
Exp
Since 2016
'I can't believe it' as Victor Meldrew would say.

Looking for my first motorhome my Son and I travelled from Essex to Malvern, no mean feat but the motorhome advertised seemed to be worth the mileage.

Arrangements were made with seller on Wednesday evening to view yesterday. The seller knew we were travelling from Essex to Malvern so not a short distance by any means and it took us the best part of 3.4 hours jut to get there.

When the advert appeared on Wednesday 10th it was £29995.
The understanding by us that the price was the amount he was expecting.
Having looked over the motorhome I offered £28000, which was refused, I expected that, so I offered the full asking price £29995. I was prepared to hand over a deposit, shake hands on it and the deal would be done. The seller said he had other viewings and expected to get offers above the advertised price of £29995. Basically although he didn't accept my offer of the full asking price he is prepared to try a gazumping process.
I informed him I was not prepared to get into a bidding war and as he had advertised it at £29995 that should be it. To do this practice is totally out of order and that is why I am writing this.

Having returned home and looked again on the Autotrader website he has increased it to £33000 !!!

The point being that we went all that way preparing to pay the asking price only to find he had no intention of selling at that price and it seems like misrepresentation an I can't believe anyone could do that, also he was a member also the Caravan Club, perhaps right or wrong I assumed members be decent people.

D

deleted-member02

Deleted User
Very poor form from the seller. I think that they might well end up regretting their actions.

How many buyers have got 30k ready to go on a private sale, no warranty, sold as seen.....

I suspect it's a very small group of people.

After the initial flurry of interest, if it doesn't sell, suddenly it's the advert that's hanging around - with buyers wondering what's wrong with it, why hasn't it sold ???

Seller's a fool imo

Upvote 0
Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
Is this the one?

Broken Link Removed

Not good practice especially when he knew you were travelling some distance :mad:

Thanks Antony

The advert now shows 29,995 at the start & 33,000 at the end. ?? Man is a complete d****. That'll just get people's suspicions up immediately.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
Feb 8, 2014
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Eldis Majestic 115
Exp
Vans and tugs since mid 70's
If that is the one then I`d be wary as the photo`s have a different Reg No (VRN) on number 1 and 20 ? ,or is that the reason for the price increase as you get 2 vehicles and numbers for the price of one ! :)
yes also noticed that as well as when he upped his ad to 33k he left the original price in the description.
ONLY 5500 MILES FROM NEW . £29995.OR BEST OFFER. ONE OWNER .,NON SMOKING, NON PETS ,NON CHILDREN ,SHOWROOM CONDITION , STORED INDOORS IN WINTER...etc

Upvote 0

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
Upvote 0
OP
OP
Mimi

Mimi

Free Member
Aug 5, 2014
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper
Exp
Since 2016
Thank you all for your replies this was the one

Broken Link Removed

To get the facts straight I went on the understanding the price was £29,999, not to find out when I wanted to purchase that he wanted more. I was willing to pay £29,999.
Not a gentleman by any means.

The search goes on.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Mimi

Mimi

Free Member
Aug 5, 2014
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper
Exp
Since 2016
He has come back to me with a few texts saying that I offered him 27k which was totally wrong my opening offer was 28k then I increased to full asking price. His last text was ' his wife wanted to sell it to me for 25k' Pull the other leg it's got bells on.
You can imagine my response not very ladylike I must admit, but he deserved it.
I've no regrets and I don't feel I've missed out, as I wouldn't buy from such a despicable person

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Mimi

Mimi

Free Member
Aug 5, 2014
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper
Exp
Since 2016
Yes Minxygirl you've got it right. Hot tub, I hope he comes a cropper.

Upvote 0
Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
Most of the Brits who attempt to sell "hot tubs" over here have all been /are
smarmy ,obnoxious ,shyster types:mad:. Must be a trait that's needed. :D

Wonder if the hot -tub price rises from the initial quote.:LOL:

Upvote 0

davejen

Free Member
Aug 21, 2008
Preston
Funster No
MH
Given up travelling
Exp
Since 1992
The advert now shows 29,995 at the start & 33,000 at the end. ?? Man is a complete d****. That'll just get people's suspicions up immediately.
I noticedthat too, the guys a pillock As someone said offer the asking price and agree to meet but don't turn up.
Cheers, Dave(y)

Upvote 0

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
Although it Is thought that once you make an offer and it accepted in Scotland that the deal is binding that is not the case.
Kath

Offers are usually made by the buyers solicitor "in proper legal Scottish form" and then an "exchange of epistles" (letters asking relevant questions) takes place. If all the answers are satisfactory then the sale goes ahead without further reference to the buyer - no exchange of contract as in England and Wales which is why it is generally thought that an offer is binding. With electronic communication things can and do move very fast.

Upvote 0
M

Madwife

Deleted User
Offers are usually made by the buyers solicitor "in proper legal Scottish form" and then an "exchange of epistles" (letters asking relevant questions) takes place. If all the answers are satisfactory then the sale goes ahead without further reference to the buyer - no exchange of contract as in England and Wales which is why it is generally thought that an offer is binding. With electronic communication things can and do move very fast.
Yes that's why we were able to pull out as the exchange of epistles had not fully wen completed.

Kath

Upvote 0

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
A friend of ours was selling and had an offer but then found the buyer didn't have the funds during the exchange of epistles so no sale...... Most sales go through with no problems however.

The advantage of the Scottish system are the speed and lack of complications, the disadvantage is that for the buyer everything has to be in place before an offer - which includes survey so the same house may be surveyed many times and any offer still not accepted.

Generally if you are interested in buying a property you "express an interest" which is non-binding. Once an offer has been received a closing date is set so anyone else who has expressed an interest can be contacted in case they wish to make an offer and then the exchange of epistles starts with the favoured buyer.

I have bought and sold in England and Wales and bought in Scotland and I much prefer the Scottish system.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Mimi

Mimi

Free Member
Aug 5, 2014
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper
Exp
Since 2016
Thank you for all your replies, not sure how the house selling in Scotland went off on a tangent/different thread, but still grateful in knowing that I am not the only one who thinks he's a complete d*******.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back