What An Experience ????

Discussion in 'The Beginner' started by Mimi, Jun 12, 2015.

1. Mimi

Mimi Funster

'I can't believe it' as Victor Meldrew would say.

Looking for my first motorhome my Son and I travelled from Essex to Malvern, no mean feat but the motorhome advertised seemed to be worth the mileage.

Arrangements were made with seller on Wednesday evening to view yesterday. The seller knew we were travelling from Essex to Malvern so not a short distance by any means and it took us the best part of 3.4 hours jut to get there.

When the advert appeared on Wednesday 10th it was £29995.
    The understanding by us that the price was the amount he was expecting.
    Having looked over the motorhome I offered £28000, which was refused, I expected that, so I offered the full asking price £29995. I was prepared to hand over a deposit, shake hands on it and the deal would be done. The seller said he had other viewings and expected to get offers above the advertised price of £29995. Basically although he didn't accept my offer of the full asking price he is prepared to try a gazumping process.
    I informed him I was not prepared to get into a bidding war and as he had advertised it at £29995 that should be it. To do this practice is totally out of order and that is why I am writing this.

Having returned home and looked again on the Autotrader website he has increased it to £33000 !!!

The point being that we went all that way preparing to pay the asking price only to find he had no intention of selling at that price and it seems like misrepresentation an I can't believe anyone could do that, also he was a member also the Caravan Club, perhaps right or wrong I assumed members be decent people.

• Like Like x 3
  2. The Dude

The Dude Funster

That's disgraceful behaviour. Hope he is stuck with his mh for months. :mad:

• Like Like x 2
  3. olley

olley Funster

CC members are just people like every one else, some are good some aren't. He's obviously had a good response to his advert, and thinks he's advertised it to cheap.

Ian

• Like Like x 1
  4. DavidG58

DavidG58 Funster

I would love to see it still for sale in a few weeks time and you can then offer £27K :D

But seriously if he had made a mistake, what he should have done is call you to say the price was wrong then you have the choice of going or not

What MH is he selling, was it really under priced?

• Like Like x 2
  5. chaser

chaser Funster

Perhaps he isn't bothered about selling it , just trying it to see how much he can get, if he gets a big enough offer let it go, is he some sort of back street dealer. Being a member of cc is neither here or there.

6. gus-lopez

gus-lopez Funster

That's disgusting. I wouldn't have been happy at all & would be using the " ask a question " facility on the ebay add to point it out !

• Like Like x 1
  7. chaser

chaser Funster

No one said this wAs on eBay did they? If this is the case , was it a biding advert, in which case the seller was in the right.

8. Snowbird

Snowbird Funster Life Member

I dont agree with him putting the price up, BUT you thought it perfectly reasonable to try and knock him down by £2000. Whats the difference ?.

• Like Like x 1
  9. irnbru

irnbru Funster Life Member

Its part of the fun of haggling. We always place anything we are selling higher knowing full well 9 times out of 10 we will be cut down.
    I think the seller was bang out of order and think of the wasted fuel costs incurred by the OP.

• Like Like x 2
  10. Judge Mental

Judge Mental Funster Deceased RIP

Think you got of lightly...sounds a dodgy character. Incidentally how old and what make was the van. Basically what's payload like and had there been a damp survey...hell of a load of lemons out here!

• Like Like x 3
  11. chaser

chaser Funster

Wouldn't have thought there was much up with it or he would have been glad to get rid

12. Weinsbergaman

Weinsbergaman

13. Snowbird

Snowbird Funster Life Member

I understand haggling having been involved with one sort of dealing or another all my life. But dont complain when it does not go in your favour. I already said I do not agree with the seller putting the price up which I think is out of order, some sellers do not like to have the micky taken by potential purchasers trying it on. If a seller has set the price realistic, which in this case it obviously was as the potential purchaser was willing to pay the full price, why try and beat him down.

14. Barclaybasher

Barclaybasher Funster

'Sellers remorse' ....he's had a lot of enquiries/ interest, thinks he is selling too cheap especially as you offered full asking price............ sold my van a year ago, had two people interested and I got the asking price and was happy... he may regret turning down your offer, selling MHs is not always that easy

:)

• Like Like x 2
  15. DavidG58

DavidG58 Funster

• Like Like x 1
  16. chaser

chaser Funster

17. Gorse Hill

Gorse Hill Funster

I might offer the knobhead 35k and dick him about by arranging to meet up and obviously not turn up, see how he likes it when he's wasted his money
    The asking price was 30k, if he's made a mistake then he should have done his research before wasting other peoples time and hard earned dollar

• Like Like x 7
  18. magicsurfbus

magicsurfbus Funster

The fact his opening price is only a fiver short of £30,000 suggests to me he was trying to grab peoples' attention with a view to increasing the price if a lot of people responded. I mean seriously, who cares about the odd fiver when buying a motorhome? If he wanted an auction he should have auctioned it.

I think the seller was out of order - the seller should name a price and either stick to it or drop it a bit. If some dickhead at a car boot sale says "What do you want to pay me for it?" I walk away.

• Like Like x 2
  19. scotjimland

scotjimland Funster Life Member

What a disappointment.. the seller may well be within his legal rights to refuse the offer, but ethically and morally ? .. IMO wrong..
    Looking at similar vans for sale, he is now looking for the same price as a dealer.. greed comes to mind.. he may well live to regret his decision.

@DavidG58
    Not sure where the Scottish reference means .. but back in the 70s, I sold my house to emigrate to RSA .. Without even advertising, word got round it was up for sale and a buyer came to the door, offered me £9k, (I paid only £3.5 a few years earlier so thought it a good offer) .. so I accepted , a shake of the hand sealed the deal..

I had lots of other callers who offered more but I never broke my word.. selling a house in Scotland a hand shake seals a deal.. not so in England where gazumping is almost a sport

• Like Like x 4
  20. Highwayman1

Highwayman1 Funster

If that is the one then I`d be wary as the photo`s have a different Reg No (VRN) on number 1 and 20 ? ,or is that the reason for the price increase as you get 2 vehicles and numbers for the price of one ! :)

• Like Like x 2