what about the 11 metre vans

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by ianandkath, Jul 25, 2015.

1. ianandkath

ianandkath Funster

i know its a rv but why can i not get on the same sites as a tugger, they are well over 11 metres

2. TheBig1

TheBig1 Funster Life Member

the longest caravan is 7.5 metres in the uk. the unit is only longer if the tow vehicle remains coupled up. whereas an 11metre motorhome is too long for a standard pitch, an uncoupled caravan is fine

• Like Like x 2
  3. Zepp

Zepp Funster

If you ring a site they may have a extra long pitches where you can overhang. Its not just the pitches it may be the access road .

Paul

4. Mikey RV

Mikey RV Funster

And they bend in the middle for getting round tighter spots on the site.

• Like Like x 2
  5. trekkin

trekkin Read Only Funster

Hi

An 11m will probably have a 3+metre overhang at the rear, so provided the pitches are not enclosed with a boundary or back to back you can hover your overhang over the grass at the back so fitting on an 8m pitch, then you just need the access

Talking to wardens is useful. If they are not helpful then they will only find problems when you turn up, if however you find the warden helpful then nothing will be a problem

CC&C and CC are able to take 10m on some site/pitches so I suppose it's down to how accurately you measure your RV

• Like Like x 1
  6. fastpat

fastpat Read Only Funster

I have a big saw you can borrow?

• Like Like x 3
  7. Gellyneck

Gellyneck Funster Life Member

Some have a shipping length of over 8m, eg Adria Astella and Bailey Retreat (just shy of 9m).

8. ianandkath

ianandkath Funster

no need for a saw,, ill lie about the length,, ps,, its only 10 metres now ha ha

• Like Like x 1
  9. Candapack

Candapack Funster

Just out of interest ianandkath, how do you get on driving through built up areas?
    Size wise, how does your RV compare with, eg, a furniture van, which has to get into town centres?
    I'm asking because I have a 6m. van just now, looking at upsizing to (max) 7.4m., and a bit nervous about it.
    Cheers,

10. madgeD

madgeD Funster

Maybe if you say you will uncouple once sited and move the front to the car park ??
    but hey when we had our Kontiki I was waiting to check in and an assistant warden came in and said "there is a flippin big motorhome waiting to come in!! we were only just over 21ft !! that was CCC I piped up and told her she said "they damage the pitch!! We never move our van off site once sited ! unlike the big land rovers pulling large vans.

11. madgeD

madgeD Funster

Well just imaging driving your van with a caravan behind you !

12. DavidG58

DavidG58 Funster

but in reality you will only ever see these towed behind transits and pick ups, so will be banned for other reasons :D

they have never been tourers, hopefully Mondeo man doesn't think so anyway :)

13. MicknPat

MicknPat Funster

If you are talking about the Caravan Clubs sites, for years ALL caravanners & motorhome owners would regard their 'Outfit' as being BOTH the car and caravan, then the god in the ivory towers at CC HQ re-wrote the dictionary to now make the 'Outfit' as being just the caravan or motor home.

They also started with the Maximum permitted length lark which kept being reduced along with some wardens who wearing their Jobs Worth hats even refused some large motor homes on their site that had previously visited and stayed because their length was over the Maximum Permitted length that had been reduced and reduced.

On a good note I'm led to believe the maximum length lets say it says 9m doesn't mean that you cannot visit that site with anything over, NO it means that ALL pitches on that site can accommodate a 9m unit, even though the site may have several than could take even a 12m unit, it means you have to contact the site direct and just hope Mr or Mrs Jobs Worth doesn't answer.[​IMG]

14. Candapack

Candapack Funster

Well yes, but as somebody else said, that bends in the middle.

• Like Like x 1
  15. CWH

CWH Funster Life Member

WARNING: Sight topic deviation coming up.

So in what other jobs would you also expect the worker to break health and safety rules, set by their employers and possibly also bound by their insurance conditions, in order to satisfy the customer?

Why is breaking their conditions of service NOT worth more than holding their job?

• Like Like x 3
  16. denisejoe

denisejoe Funster Life Member

most
    can be quite easy as even in london most towns and cities have buses I use to drive them all over London its not that hard you soon get used to the length.

joe

• Like Like x 1
  17. Brian and Jo

Brian and Jo Funster Life Member

I can honestly say that in the 20yrs of camping,caravanning ,RV,ing and motorhoming we have never had a problem with a site.be it CC , C&CC or private site.the biggest Motorhome we have had was 38ft and the one we have now is 29ft.If the site cannot physically take your unit then there is not a lot the wardens can do.just find another site.there is a lot of great sites out there that take RV,s and large motorhomes and as said we have never had a problem.We always use CC sites where possible,they are always very clean and well serviced and you know what you are getting,ok not the cheapest but for us it works.
    Brian & Jo

• Like Like x 3
  18. Gellyneck

Gellyneck Funster Life Member

Do agree with you David but have been on a site when a Bailey Retreat arrived being pulled by a Mitsubishi Shogun!:eek:(n)

• Like Like x 1
  19. NickNic

NickNic Funster Life Member

Ours is 7.4 and I've never had a problem taking it anywhere

• Like Like x 1
  20. Gorse Hill

Gorse Hill Funster

Don't worry to much, I had the same concern when I got my first M/H at just over 7 Mtrs, had a caravan for many years, been everywhere down single track country roads, all round France and a lot of small villages in the UK never had a problem or even felt under pressure at any time so go for it and enjoy the extra space
    The only thing you might need to be more careful with is the width, if it was a PVC Van there usually 2.10 wide and most of the Coachbuilt are 2.30/5 (Baileys a little wider)

• Like Like x 1