What a weekend!

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by Jim, Jul 21, 2014.

1. Jim

Jim Ringleader

FRIDAY> We planned to have the whole family at Wrenbury and have a few beers send off for our Son was due to report to Catterick on Sunday afternoon for training with the Para' reg't. A carer for Sian's mum couldn't get here till Saturday so that put paid to that.

SATURDAY> Me Sian and James decided we would would travel to Wrenbury, leaving two girls here to look after Sians Mum. Few beers Saturday, then drop young James off at Crewe station early Sunday. Loaded up the motorhome. Got one mile down the road, went to change down and the gear lever was stuck in 5th, wouldn't budge. Walked back home got the Lanny and towed it home while Sian stood on the clutch. AA Arrived, popped the end off the gear box, bits broken, going nowhere.

hymerbreakdownAAGearbox.png hymerbreakdownAA.png

SUNDAY> Me and Sian took James to Catterick 13 hours round trip in her car, talk about numb bum.

MONDAY> It's weird, I'm in a sort of mourning state, had James with me most days for the last 20 years, that I'm now only going to see him for a few weeks a year makes me soo sad and I'm moping about miserable as sin.

[​IMG]

2. ourcampersbeentrashed

ourcampersbeentrashed Funster

They say things happen in threes (more like 13s with me) so at least you have had 3 at once and here's hoping thats it for the moment for you.

Sending you a big hug and a big smile

• Like Like x 2
  3. BritStops

BritStops Trader BritStop Owner

Tough one Jim. Just when you most needed the van to get out and about to take your mind off stuff too.

Can't really say much to help, sorry! However by the look on his face, can't help thinking he's going to be having the time of his life!

Steve :Smile:

• Like Like x 1
  4. Armytwowheels

Armytwowheels Funster Life Member

Coor blimey Jim, you and yours have had a lot to deal with lately, no wonder you feel a bit out of sorts.

One thing though you can be very proud of your family, in particular your son who is just starting to make his way in the world.

Hope you get the van fixed soon.

Sandra and Colin

5. JJ

JJ Funster

Don't want to be negative Jim but don't worry.

He finds a young lady, they get married and buy a house...

She falls for another and he loses the house...

Straight back to Mum and Dad.

JJ :cool:

PS. Seriously though. Empty(ish) nest syndrone doesn't last long...

• Like Like x 4
  6. Mousy

Mousy Funster Life Member

Sorry about your troubles Jim.

Yes it does feel odd when they leave, takes a while to get used to. I remember walking into tesco, put some of my daughters favourite food in the trolley, realised they were not at home to eat it and I sobbed all the way round the frozen food section!

Letting go....hardest part of being a parent.

Good luck to your son, no doubt you and sian will burst with pride at his passing out. xx

7. Forestboy

Forestboy Funster Life Member

Know the feeling ours all left within a few months of each other it was weird for a while

8. jollyrodger

jollyrodger Funster Life Member

Sorry to hear about the van folks hope it gets sorted soon.
    Our boy gets married next month and into their own home so mother hen here is panicking already .

9. Puddleduck

Puddleduck Funster

Not much comfort but you have worked for 20 years to see the day when a fine young man leaves home.

A sad day but also one that should make you feel proud. Don't worry though as they keep coming back!

• Like Like x 1
  10. carolyn

carolyn Funster

I feel for you and Sian but you must be so proud, he will always want to come home if you brought him up well which I am sure you have. I know it's not the same as having him around all the time but enjoy every moment of his visits.

• Like Like x 2
  11. Ambilkate

Ambilkate Funster Life Member

Oh Jim, so sorry to hear about your van.
    We were thinking of you as you told us at Stafford about James going big hugs to you and Sain xxx

12. Chris

Chris Funster Life Member

Shakespeare wrote something like : " When troubles come they come not single spy, but in great battalions"

How true that is.

I am sure you will miss young James, but I bet your pride soon makes up for it.

Good luck to him.

13. Al-Di

Al-Di Funster

couldn't get mine out the door quick enough:)

sorry to here about the van though:(

14. wingman

wingman Funster

Hi Jim & Sian.

MT Nest syndrome is a difficult one to deal with. It's one of those great milestones and challenges that parents face. For the kids though, it's invariably no big deal! It must be comforting to know that your son is not simply leaving home to bum around, he is embarking on service to our country. Not just you, but all of us are rightly proud of him, but I'm sure we share too your apprehension. If his parents are anything to go by, he will do well; make his way in the world and be successful.

In this age of technology, it's easy to stay in touch, so I doubt if you will be without news of his progress. However, it will seem strange at first not to have him around physically. Kids tend to be like boomerangs though!

It's a new chapter in your family's life and yet just another curved ball that life throws at us. We manage though, don't we?

There's a pause now between this era and the next, when chocolate and coke gets ground into your carpet when grandchildren are dumped on you. Enjoy the peace whilst you can!!! :rolleyes:

Sorry to hear about the 'van...... I know a bit about life, but bugger all about gearboxes!

• Like Like x 1
  15. Phill D

Phill D

what you loose in companionship you will gain in Pride (y) good luck young James.

just think how you will be feeling watching him on his passing out parade, you will be " BURSTING"!:coolest:

• Like Like x 2
  16. martin1485

martin1485 Funster

The first track on the attached link may sound familiar Jim. Good luck to James on his adventures. He will love it and you will be so proud!

17. Taran_Las

Taran_Las Funster

James is embarking on a new life, just as his Dad did quite a few years ago. Think of the fun you had Jim, then conjure up a wry smile because James is probably doing something similar. (y)

PS Don't tell his Mum;)

• Like Like x 1
  18. jonandshell

jonandshell Funster

Do you reckon we could build one good motorhome which will make it to Wrenbury by combining Bill's and Jim's?:)

19. Rob e Lee

Rob e Lee Funster

Hi Jim,

Totally understand your feelings. My son Andrew went off to Uni to study music and it broke my heart to let him go. Same as you, he was 'my right hand man' and was/is such an integral part of my life.
    From a little boy who was so very shy but who has blossomed into a fine young man. I must mention son number two - Nicholas, totally different in many ways but equally special in my heart.

As a Dad I am so proud of them both - both were made Captains of their school football teams and were both selected to represent their districts. Andrew was 'spotted' and trained with Millwall for awhile and Nick was signed to Crystal Palace.

Nowadays it's music that's taken over their lives (not professionally) and family get together s are like the old days - all gathered 'round with guitars and piano being played and people - ----- smiling :)

Rob

20. buttons

buttons Funster

My eldest son went off alone to the US seven years ago, he has a blessed life in America but he still skypes his old dad most days just for a chat. Skype makes distance much less but it doesn't take the place of a good hug when you get together.

• Like Like x 3