Free Member
Sep 12, 2015
Kent
Funster No
MH
A class Hymer B584
Exp
About to start!
I'm trying to insure our new (well, new to us) Hymer which we pick up on Saturday. I rang Saga before Christmas to get a quote...£318. The next day I rang them back to explain that we had lost our storage spot on a Cassoa Gold Award site and had instead organised storage on a small, unregistered site. The difference this made was that I was now quoted £284 instead...? Due to a hitch, we had to defer collecting the van until this week so I rang today for a new quotation. We've got a space on the Cassoa site again now, so how much do they want to charge us? £371!!! All the other details are the same, so why a price leap of almost £100? The telesales person had no idea and couldn't do anything to get a better quote for us. Is this mad or what?

Zilevets

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 19, 2015
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B704 A Class P/Line
Exp
We have the same thing they charged us £70 more for insurance as we store van on cassoa gold site then if we kept it on drive, fully fenced cameras and next to police station, couldn't explain it either, we with Caravan Guard.

Liz

Nov 11, 2013
Tewkesbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL 668
Exp
March 2014
Saga are weird. They tried to charge me a £10 renewal fee a few weeks ago on top of the renewal premium. I have never heard of anyone being charged for giving a company business so that was it, I went elsewhere. For their underhanded cheek Saga will never get a penny from me ever again.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Saga seem to think as you are over 50 you must have a bottomless pit of spare money.
They are one of the most expensive companies out there.

Ring round for quotes and compere policies....You will do far better.

But.....now they know you, you will be plagued with mail shots for years to come

Don Quixote

Free Member
Jul 29, 2012
Lost in La Mancha, Spain
Funster No
MH
VW T6 Campervan
Exp
Not long enough, but a little common sense helps..........
Stop around as they are messing you about. I will say that half what I pay for insurance here in Spain, but it does cover breakdown recovery across EU in the price. Good luck finding the best price.

Nov 11, 2013
Tewkesbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL 668
Exp
March 2014
Has anyone else noticed how Saga disguise and colour their mail shot envelopes to look like NHS hospital/doctors letters, presumably to make sure you open them and don't automatically throw them into the bin? What a dreadful company.

Last edited:

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
I'm trying to insure our new (well, new to us) Hymer which we pick up on Saturday. I rang Saga before Christmas to get a quote...£318. The next day I rang them back to explain that we had lost our storage spot on a Cassoa Gold Award site and had instead organised storage on a small, unregistered site. The difference this made was that I was now quoted £284 instead...? Due to a hitch, we had to defer collecting the van until this week so I rang today for a new quotation. We've got a space on the Cassoa site again now, so how much do they want to charge us? £371!!! All the other details are the same, so why a price leap of almost £100? The telesales person had no idea and couldn't do anything to get a better quote for us. Is this mad or what?
There's too many companies out there to bugger about with Saga, as you have found out they make a simple if time consuming phone call into a 'saga'. :mad:

K9Brian

Free Member
Aug 2, 2010
South Manchester
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since April 2010
Motorhome and car insurance looks at the postcode of where it'll be stored so a Cassoa gold site in a bad area will be more than say a farmers field in a low risk area

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Aug 09 to date 9,000 miles!
Plus I suppose if it's a 'known' storage area - all the local lowlife will make a bee line for it and could possibly get some malicious damage in to your pride and joy before security can pounce. Or at least, they'll try! Professional thieves wouldn't bothered, but lowlife teenagers , well .......

I mean - house burglaries. Many years ago next door were burled. Turned out it was the older bro and some of his mates after the new Playstation (or X-Box) the little un had had for Xmas. Not much was actually taken apart from that BUT - the mayhem - including PEEING on carpets and POOHING in drawers they'd emptied on top of the pee.

However - we were burgled some years later. They had emptied drawers and methodically taken anything they could get cash for, had quite a good haul. BUT as I said - it appeared to be methodical, and there was no gratuitous damage - they'd removed a window pane - very neatly indeed, must have had practice! - to get in and left it outside propped up tidily, against a wall of the house! So neatly that our son in law put it back into the undamaged frame, just to keep the weather out, temporarily. (We did obviously have the whole thing replaced with a more secure design asap)

And that IS the difference it seems to me. Damage as opposed to theft.

Plus - When did the recent increase in Insurance Premium Tax take effect? cos one might have been at the old rate?

Shrimp

Funster
May 27, 2015
Bedfordshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584
Exp
Long time
Our MoHo was insured with Saga, we decided to move to parents with a MK postcode and van will have to stand on road (cul-de-sac)
They wouldn't insure it!
The car ins with Saga went up by over £100. due to the postcode, but the car was going to be garaged whereas before it was parked on a drive!
We voted with our money and went elsewhere, the car is now £200. cheaper and the van only went up a little!
I think Saga is a con!

OP
OP
Kait

Kait

Free Member
Sep 12, 2015
Kent
Funster No
MH
A class Hymer B584
Exp
About to start!
Unfortunately I think we're stuck with Saga because I had two insurance claims last year. Nothing serious, one was a disputed incident in a supermarket car park (both cars reversing resulting in a nudge) and the other a rock hidden inside a shrub which did some cosmetic damage to the under door sill on my car, but it means no one else I've contacted will insure us! It will be interesting if, when I ring in a day or so, the quote is back to the original one.

Mar 16, 2010
Carmarthenshire
Funster No
MH
In between
Exp
Since 1988
Just before Christmas I had a letter from them as I had previously asked for a quote .......the letter was for car insurance??????
But where the registration number was it said motorhome.
As it was for less than we pay now I checked it again online quoting the reference number they had given all of a sudden it had jumped up by£100 .....saga I don't think so

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
There is always a dip in insurance prices in December both house & car. With Saga if they won't come back down in price just ask to talk to a customer adviser, we have both cars insured with then although we usually have to have a haggle can't normally beat their prices with the cars. Van is insured with Comfort.

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
I'm with Saga, they were the cheapest I could get. And I too moved the MH to a secure storage area for a few months while we had builders in - and it cost me extra because of the postcode of the site - it was seen as a higher risk than where we live.

So I don't think you can ever generalise about insurance companies, it all depends on where you live, your history and probably the colour of the socks of the agent you speak to. It's all one of life's great mysteries. :)

sdc77

Free Member
Jan 28, 2013
Weardale, Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2011
Saga were prohibitively expensive for us. London East postcode but still a mad quote

May 7, 2011
Cornwall Gorran Haven
Funster No
MH
T Line 785
Exp
motorhoming since 1979
I have been with Saga for the few years, but this year they came in very expensive @ £285, compared with previous year £155, so did the usual ring around & online comparisons , then went back to see if they wanted to match as they had in previous years they offered a poultry £ 10 reduction, so told them to politely to bog/off & went with Caravan club @ £239.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back