WHAT A LOAD OF BOWLS

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by ILOVEBOWLS, Nov 8, 2014.

1. ILOVEBOWLS

ILOVEBOWLS

Good evening to you all, what a fantastic website! having worked abroad for the last 20 years my wife and I are now retired and the proud owner of a motor home Yes WEGONANDUNNIT. Cant wait to get out on the road, when I'm not bowling that is. I bowl at the Bournemouth Indoor Bowling Club so if your down this way (Dorset) come and try bowling your most welcome. The following is an article that I did for my Local magazine. Be lucky.

Bournemouth Indoor Bowling Club
    Winning International and National titles are not enough for the members of the Bournemouth Indoor Bowling Club. Their Roll of Honour for 2013/14 includes The Ladies English Internationalists’, National Champion of Champions, British Isles Qualifiers, National Qualifiers and now the crown of The 2014 Dorset County Mixed Summer League has been lifted by our very own League manager Peter Bloomfield...
    BOWLS TRULY IS THE SPORT FOR ALL.
    Much respected for her ambassadorial dignity head coach Jenny Osborne and her team are more than qualified to take you from beginner to the highest level in bowling. Bournemouth Indoor Bowling Club, (BIBC) are passionate about promoting bowls in our area and they prove it can be played by all ages, abilities and genders – making it the perfect sport for all.
    Like all sports, the object of bowls is essentially simple, but to be able to play consistently well demands determination, concentration and practice. Bowls is 70% mental and 30% practice. Bowls is a sport for life – just try it! You’ll be amazed at what you can achieve. It has been medically proven that bowls improves your general health and helps to strengthen the immune system.
    Due to the numerous muscles you use during a game, bowls is a good full-body motion and the social side boosts psychological and emotional health. Bowls is primarily an aerobic sport because you are not giving your cardiovascular system a workout. Bowling stretches the muscles you use and conditions others. (Keeps you very fit Ladies!)
    BIBC are committed to welcoming new members throughout the year, great friendships can be formed improving the quality of life for all, most bowlers take up the sport for friendship, recreation, relaxation and exercise. Some become very competitive! With a licensed bar and restaurant this is the perfect place to make and meet friends. I look forward to seeing you on the rinks, not sure? call me and I will point you in the right direction to arrange your coaching sessions. Bring your husband, wife or partner if you wish bring someone else’s husband, wife or partner, I think you get the message.
    With two sessions weekly of 'Try Bowls', Wednesday 6-8 pm and Friday 4-6 pm. And small classes of 4 bowlers per rink you will be assured of reaching a very high standard.
    BE SPECIAL - COME AND JOIN US - YOU ARE MOST WELCOME!
    For the past 12 years BIBC have run bowling for the visually impaired residents of Dorset, these sessions are held twice monthly and the club are very proud of the organisational skills of Vic and Yvonne Cloud who with their team of experienced bowlers create the perfect environment for those who have a sensory loss. This type of community spirit is what makes Bournemouth Indoor Bowling Club so special.
    Bournemouth Indoor Bowling Club, Kings Park, BH7 6JD. Telephone 01202 394439-----www.BIBC.co.uk.
    Until next month, Be Happy, Keep Bowling, Follow your Faith, David.
    David Stratton Community Coordinator for The Local Eye

2. Brian and Jo

Brian and Jo Funster Life Member

hi there and a warm welcome to MHF(y):)
    brian & jo

3. hilldweller

hilldweller Funster Life Member

Sorry, too busy bowling...................along the road.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Baycott

Baycott Funster

Hi and welcome to the madhouse :welc:

5. Coolbeanz

Coolbeanz Funster

:welc:

• Like Like x 1
  6. Dawn B

Dawn B Funster

Hi & :welc:

we bowl too

Last edited: Nov 8, 2014
    • Like Like x 1
  7. movan

movan Funster Life Member

..... can we still be your friend if we don't bowl ... :(

Welcome to the forum .. may you enjoy posting and telling us about your motorhome adventures. :)

• Like Like x 1
  8. big bertha

big bertha Funster

Hi and welcome from Scotland, my father in law bowls next door in Devon.(y)

• Like Like x 1
  9. scousebird

scousebird Funster

Hello :hi:

• Like Like x 1
  10. callumwa

callumwa Read Only Funster

Well there's an intro to bowl us over........:cooler:

:welc:

• Like Like x 1
  11. ILOVEBOWLS

ILOVEBOWLS

Blimey! having read all the above I can't imagine how I could possibly fit in everything that I intended to do in retirement, Yes Movan friends are the most important part of life

• Like Like x 1
  12. DuxDeluxe

DuxDeluxe Funster Life Member

Yes, that cricket ball really hurt..........

A really Interesting intro - it looks to be incredibly tactical and totally unlike the historic image. They used to televise the indoor bowls championships, but don't know if they still do. Any sport that exercises body and mind has to be good

13. Dawn B

Dawn B Funster

No, Dux, we do actually play bowls

14. DuxDeluxe

DuxDeluxe Funster Life Member

Don't doubt that at all, Dawn (y)

15. TheBig1

TheBig1 Funster Life Member

serious question for once; I have recently been given a set of bowls, which havent seen use since the 1980s. Has technology moved on, and are they worth anything any more?

16. MikeandCarolyn

MikeandCarolyn Read Only Funster

Welcome from an ex bowler who found that internal club politics spoiled the game. I recently sold my hensellite tigers and will buy some more woods when I feel old enough to start again-I'm only 77 now :D

17. Carol

Carol Funster Life Member

Hello and welcome to Fun, :welc:

18. ILOVEBOWLS

ILOVEBOWLS

Hi The Big 1,

Bowls come in all shapes and sizes and are being improved upon all the time. For every day bowling, indoor or outdoors, I'm sure your bowls would work well, however, should you decide to hit the National levels then the Umpire would be checking that the lozenge on your bowls carries the up to date stamp, this expires every ten years. If you post me a reply and include the make, and model I will give you an idea of value (if in doubt copy all that is on the bowl) I am assuming that they are not made of wood, wooden bowls are being purchased by wood turners to turn into fruit bowls, gavel heads and egg cups!!!

Mike and Carolyn

How right you are!!! I think it goes with those who reinvent themselves when they become chronologically gifted.;););)

• Like Like x 1
  19. Snowbird

Snowbird Funster Life Member

I used to crown green and still carry my woods, but not much call for it in Spain. Petanque is the game here and I play most afternoons.

• Like Like x 1
  20. Chockswahay

Chockswahay Funster

Crikey, I just looked in here to see what kind of bowls someone would write about......... Soup? Pudding? Fruit?

I dunno why but I didn't expect it to be about the sport of bowling :eek: