LIFE MEMBER
Aug 6, 2014
Warden isle of sheppy
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2004
Going to a good friends funeral today about 50 miles away got stopped on A2 horses on road . The horses were cuptured after about 40 mins on other carrage way,then police decided to keep all traffic at stop until they could get horse box and get ponies of road . 50 miles took us 3.5 hrs what a waste of space the plastic and real police were A2 closed in both directions for at least 1.75 hrs.
Missed funeral but made drink after .

R.I.P Peter Smith

Joe

Stretto Boy

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 6, 2016
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2011
I am sure your friend was in your thoughts, which is the most important thing. Loose and frightened horses on a busy road can be very dangerous. The police may not have had experience of dealing with this slightly unusual situation and although I entirely understand your frustration they were right to be cautious.

We have some experience of this. My wife has three horses and a couple of years ago we had a man in with a JCB to clear up the brash after the hedge had been newly relaid. He made a mistake and demolished part of the hedge and two horses escaped. We were alerted by the sound of clattering hooves on the road. I have never been so scared as when they went round a sharp bend in the middle of the road. I dread to think what would have happened if a car had been coming the other way but it could have been carnage.

The horses then ran off the road and spent half an hour running up and down the main runway of the adjacent airfield used by the local aero club. The police were useless : didn't even turn up to help. The club officials on the other hand were brilliant. They suspended flights and helped us to catch the horses and take them home.

Imagine the newspaper headlines if the police hadn't taken the cautious approach and people and/or horses had been killed.

It was very unfortunate for you that you missed the funeral of a dear friend. I am sure that he will be sharing a smile with you from above and pleased that you won't be joining him just yet.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back