What a cracking spot. (1 Viewer)

GeriatricWanderer

Free Member
Feb 1, 2015
Ouagadougou, Burkina Faso, just cos I can!
Funster No
MH
Pop-Top Campervan
Exp
45years
If you like village atmosphere, walking signed footpaths, cycling quiet level (ish) roads, deathly silent nights and a game of boules after supper and can do without a fully serviced aire then next time you're near Mont Ventoux, go take a look at Savoillan 44.17966, 5.37575.
It's on the north side of Ventoux so doesn't get too many Lycra cladded cyclists like Bedoin does.
It's hardly a village, just a hamlet really with a boulangerie in someone's front room (worth a visit even if you don't want to buy), a tiny auberge, a church, the Marie and that's about it - not even a coiffure!
A large parking area next to the village car park.
A very clean and modern WC, 50 metres.
No MH signage of any sort but there were one or two F vans when I was there and they told me they were regular visitors and have always been made welcome.
At weekends it seems to be a meeting place for hikers and vintage car rallies etc.
The last 100 metres looks tight but keep going, the narrow bit is only short.

Cross the little stone bridge into Savoillan and you don't even feel the time warp gate as you pass through :)

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Last time we were at Mt Ventoux we camped near the top, they don't call it the windy mountain without reason. At 2am had to get up and move the van round to face into the wind it was rocking so much, bike cover ripped to shreads. When we got up in the morning couldn't open any van doors on the windward side and of the 6 vans that started the night there, only us and one other left.:)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
GeriatricWanderer

GeriatricWanderer

Free Member
Feb 1, 2015
Ouagadougou, Burkina Faso, just cos I can!
Funster No
MH
Pop-Top Campervan
Exp
45years
Have now dug out my pics and here's the Boulangerie in Savoillan - yes, that brown door is the entrance.

Greggs just don't have the style (or the bread!).

DSCN4621a.JPG

Lot lover

Free Member
May 13, 2016
Lot, France
Funster No
MH
Le Voyageur Integral
Exp
New boy
Thanks for this - one of my bucket list places to visit is Mt Ventoux (to pay homage to Simpson, T) though probably not in July.

suavecarve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2009
Surrey/Hants
Funster No
MH
Rollerteam 685
Exp
July 09
If you like village atmosphere, walking signed footpaths, cycling quiet level (ish) roads, deathly silent nights and a game of boules after supper and can do without a fully serviced aire then next time you're near Mont Ventoux, go take a look at Savoillan 44.17966, 5.37575.
It's on the north side of Ventoux so doesn't get too many Lycra cladded cyclists like Bedoin does.
It's hardly a village, just a hamlet really with a boulangerie in someone's front room (worth a visit even if you don't want to buy), a tiny auberge, a church, the Marie and that's about it - not even a coiffure!
A large parking area next to the village car park.
A very clean and modern WC, 50 metres.
No MH signage of any sort but there were one or two F vans when I was there and they told me they were regular visitors and have always been made welcome.
At weekends it seems to be a meeting place for hikers and vintage car rallies etc.
The last 100 metres looks tight but keep going, the narrow bit is only short.

Cross the little stone bridge into Savoillan and you don't even feel the time warp gate as you pass through :)
I just need to say that i am doing some research for the drome region and this thread came about.
We stayed at Savoillan last year before we stayed on top of Ventoux for the night. There was no wind and sunset and sunrise were perfect.
When looking for some cycling routes we had in mind Savoillan as a perfect stop for this holiday.
I dont think my words can do as much justice for such a lovely out of the way idyllic site with nothing there but the bar (only 2 euros a beer) and the boulangerie.
It is quite possible to reallocate water from the cemetary as the village is fed by a natural spring or fill up drinking water from the same source at the lavage.
We are thinking that matamoros church is just within our range for a day out. That does look stunning.
Parking in the right place in the car park gets you a view of Ventoux.
A truly brilliant spot if you want absolute french hamlet life. 3 or 4 vans there when we were there.

Jan 7, 2010
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Thanks for this suggestion. We wandered through the Drôme last October and it was stunning. Scenery, colours, small villages, just wonderful. Stayed and walked high above Buis les Baronnies but next time we'll definitely try Savoillan. Hopefully this October.

Deleted User
Thanks for this suggestion. We wandered through the Drôme last October and it was stunning. Scenery, colours, small villages, just wonderful. Stayed and walked high above Buis les Baronnies but next time we'll definitely try Savoillan. Hopefully this October.

Did you walk up to the cross? Stunning views of the area and the cockscomb ridge.
Many years since we visited must make time to visit again, beautiful area.

suavecarve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2009
Surrey/Hants
Funster No
MH
Rollerteam 685
Exp
July 09
We are thinking that matamoros church is just within our range for a day out. That does look stunning.
Parking in the right place in the car park gets you a view of Ventoux.
A truly brilliant spot if you want absolute french hamlet life. 3 or 4 vans there when we were there.
matamoros I have just done some further research in planning our next venture and looked on google earth and we actually stopped at that church whilst out on the bike last year !!!! It stood out a mile from the road and Demanded we stopped and have a look round !!

Deleted User
matamoros I have just done some further research in planning our next venture and looked on google earth and we actually stopped at that church whilst out on the bike last year !!!! It stood out a mile from the road and Demanded we stopped and have a look round !!

From the right viewpoint it is a very impressive church in a striking position. I have some good 35mm photos somewhere from different angles and with the statue of the Madonna & Child highlighted against the sky. Must get back to the area, years since we were there!

WESTY66

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 17, 2017
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic C-Line
Exp
All the gear, and no idea!
Thanks for this - one of my bucket list places to visit is Mt Ventoux (to pay homage to Simpson, T) though probably not in July.
Yes I’d love to do the same, I live in the next village here in the U.K. where he was from (Harworth) and pass his memorial on a regular basis, but would love to do Mt Ventoux👍

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back