What a cracking spot.

Discussion in 'France' started by GeriatricWanderer, Jun 13, 2016.

1. GeriatricWanderer

GeriatricWanderer Funster

Back in Sarfend for a while, then back to RSA.
    If you like village atmosphere, walking signed footpaths, cycling quiet level (ish) roads, deathly silent nights and a game of boules after supper and can do without a fully serviced aire then next time you're near Mont Ventoux, go take a look at Savoillan 44.17966, 5.37575.
    It's on the north side of Ventoux so doesn't get too many Lycra cladded cyclists like Bedoin does.
    It's hardly a village, just a hamlet really with a boulangerie in someone's front room (worth a visit even if you don't want to buy), a tiny auberge, a church, the Marie and that's about it - not even a coiffure!
    A large parking area next to the village car park.
    A very clean and modern WC, 50 metres.
    No MH signage of any sort but there were one or two F vans when I was there and they told me they were regular visitors and have always been made welcome.
    At weekends it seems to be a meeting place for hikers and vintage car rallies etc.
    The last 100 metres looks tight but keep going, the narrow bit is only short.

Cross the little stone bridge into Savoillan and you don't even feel the time warp gate as you pass through :)

• Like Like x 5
    • Informative Informative x 4
    • Thanks Thanks x 3
    • Useful Useful x 1
  2. matamoros

matamoros Funster

Ex Rochdale now Tavira, S. Brittany & Europe
    We spent a few tenting holidays with the kids at Buis les Baronnies just North of you, the area is superb and a fantastic church at Pierrelongue raised up from the village. i have a good photo of it that I enlarged and it hung in our house until we sold it but can't post as it is not digital.

http://www.alamy.com/stock-photo/drome-church-of-pierrelongue.html

3. Lenny HB

Lenny HB Funster

Last time we were at Mt Ventoux we camped near the top, they don't call it the windy mountain without reason. At 2am had to get up and move the van round to face into the wind it was rocking so much, bike cover ripped to shreads. When we got up in the morning couldn't open any van doors on the windward side and of the 6 vans that started the night there, only us and one other left.:)

4. GeriatricWanderer

GeriatricWanderer Funster

Back in Sarfend for a while, then back to RSA.
    Have now dug out my pics and here's the Boulangerie in Savoillan - yes, that brown door is the entrance.

Greggs just don't have the style (or the bread!).

DSCN4621a.JPG

• Like Like x 3
  5. Lot lover

Lot lover Funster

Thanks for this - one of my bucket list places to visit is Mt Ventoux (to pay homage to Simpson, T) though probably not in July.

• Informative Informative x 1