We've entered the E-Bike craze (1 Viewer)

mentaliss

Free Member
Nov 2, 2012
Lancing
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
OK, £ . . . . Grand for two bikes, a lot of money but our excuse is were old! so the Question here is who's using them? and your view on the best security when parked up at the camp site or when parked outside the local coffee shop(n):)

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
A gold rated chain / d-lock and secure one bike to the other.
If possible attach one of the bikes to a lamppost or railing if poss

PJGWiltshire

Free Member
Mar 11, 2013
Arundel
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
since 2009
We have two V expensive e bikes. The bike insurance clearly states that as each cost over £1000 a gold standard lock is required at all times and must be secured to immovable object.ie post. To get round storing at night with the MH I bought a gold standard bike chain which I loop around the tow bar then pass through the bikes. On the road we use a Gold standard D lock locking them to a post.
We always take a picture when we do so, so if when we come back and someone has used a grinder or such to get through we have proof of securing to post.
We are presently in Spain and have heard the stories where these types of bikes are very much in demand from the street thieves and although not having spoken to an actual victim, the stories going round is that gangs are driving round in vans spotting bikes and jumping out with battery operated grinders. So yes we have the bikes and maybe in the future victims but I have taken the view that I will be able to prove I did everything as outlined by the insurance company. (Yellow Jersey cycles) very good cover

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
Ours weren't that expensive (but still a lot of money). We have gold standard locks and other locks in addition. We take the batteries out of ours when going into a cafe leaving saddle up making it obvious there are bits missing :)

When I am using mine (a folder) and if Martin isn't with me I fold it around a post and secure it with several locks. If someone wanted it badly enough they would take it but by having locks, having folded it and taken the battery out I hope that there is some deterrent.

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
Oh and wherever we go we ALWAYS get asked about the bikes!

A friend who is a keen cyclist was with us last week, she thinks an easy day is "only 70 miles" and has a trailer on her bike. She is in her early 60s........ The furthest she has cycled in a day was 150 miles but says it was easy as it was flat and only took her 10 hours.

Oct 8, 2009
Kent
Funster No
MH
Sunlight
Exp
32 years
My cycle insurance also says about securing to an immovable object. I was concerned that in case of a claim they would refuse to pay based on a MH rack not strictly being immovable, certainly mine is removable by unscrewing two bolts. I therefore checked this specifically with the insurer (the bike insurance, not the MH insurance) and got a specific agreement that they would accept the MH bike rack as an immovable object.

Don Quixote

Free Member
Jul 29, 2012
Lost in La Mancha, Spain
Funster No
MH
VW T6 Campervan
Exp
Not long enough, but a little common sense helps..........
D-lock or two, but at the end of the day if they want them they will have them. We try and secure ours in a busy place and have a few times D-locked them to bike rack at police station.

Paddywack

Free Member
Oct 15, 2013
Neasham, Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Hymer ExsisT588
I use a Kryptonite New York, the chain through both bikes and then locked to the chassis. If on hook up I also put the mains cable around the frames - if anyone unplugs the cable the fridge alarm goes off.

PP Bear

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 5, 2013
Kent, UK
Funster No
MH
Auto Trail Dakota SE
Exp
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

Eamless

Free Member
Nov 29, 2013
London
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
We have a couple of kalkhoff e bikes and this what we use.
When on the bike rack
Abus D ring - Gold
Hip Lock - silver
Long steel combo lock around bikes and frame - bronze
vanbitz alarm

On campsite as above

Coffee shop
Just the steel combo

In a dodgy town e.g. Brighton
All 3 locks

A couple of points to remember
Gold locks are bloody heavy and short in length
Most places especially outside UK are safe to leave a bike during the day. Always try to put them close to a cctv camera if possible
Never leave them at a station during the day in the UK

But normally when leaving them for a short period we use the hiplock and a longer combination lock. Both of these go around your waist and so are easy to carry.

Oh and nice to hear fromyou

Oct 17, 2014
London
Funster No
MH
Possl Roadcruiser PVC
Exp
Since 2011
U lock/D lock frame to immovable object, plus cable lock wheels to frame, and saddle also if it's a quick release bolt. Take off all movable bits like lights, speedo, control unit etc, and if really wanting to be secure, remove battery.

In my time I've had wheels, saddles and lights pinched, and once had valves removed from tyres!

That said, if I've got then bike in sight, e.g., on beach or in a cafe, I don't worry too much.

Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
This is not meant as a criticism of anyone posting on this thread except to say isn't it sad that we have to go to such lengths to protect our property?

Cycling, whether ebikes or conventional, should be fun, not a chore. Insurance companies, and toe rag thieves make life much more difficult than it should be.

Edit.

Sorry! Just realised that was stating the bleeding obvious.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Only requirement on our insurance is that they are secured to an immovable object when away from home no special lock requirments ,but they are only insured for £1700 each, insurers get more strict when then bikes are worth over £2500.

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
U lock/D lock frame to immovable object, plus cable lock wheels to frame, and saddle also if it's a quick release bolt. Take off all movable bits like lights, speedo, control unit etc, and if really wanting to be secure, remove battery.

In my time I've had wheels, saddles and lights pinched, and once had valves removed from tyres!

That said, if I've got then bike in sight, e.g., on beach or in a cafe, I don't worry too much.
Your back! Well done:)

So @mentaliss what have you bougot??

Brightonian

Free Member
Nov 27, 2015
City of Brighton & Hove
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
8 Years
We have a couple of kalkhoff e bikes and this what we use.
When on the bike rack
Abus D ring - Gold
Hip Lock - silver
Long steel combo lock around bikes and frame - bronze
vanbitz alarm

On campsite as above

Coffee shop
Just the steel combo

In a dodgy town e.g. Brighton

Now go and wash your mouth out with soap;)

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
When we get back to the UK I'm going to buy a couple of those Lock Lites, look very secure and only weigh a kilo so I think worth the 160 quid investment.

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
When we get back to the UK I'm going to buy a couple of those Lock Lites, look very secure and only weigh a kilo so I think worth the 160 quid investment.

when they appear..as I believe not as yet.

Dont let Gold standard give you a false sense of security plenty of youtube stuff on defeating them. double locking with two different styles of locks the best defense plus obviously due diligence regards where you leave it! best not near kerb for instance where a disc cutter can reach it from a van

a decent short chain like the ones from Pragmasis a good choice with a n Abus D lock..yes they are heart but its and electric bike just loose a few kilos to compensate:)

http://securityforbikes.com/security-chains.php

http://www.abus.com/uk/Mobile-Security/Bike-Safety-and-Security/Locks

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
Enlightened opinion recommends spending 10% of bike value on security...Good tried and tested stuff is not cheap

OP
OP
mentaliss

mentaliss

Free Member
Nov 2, 2012
Lancing
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Your back! Well done:)

So @mentaliss what have you bougot??
Wife is on a 'Cube' Step through..mint green.. can see her a long way off:D !! Me, arguably the best of the current manufacture of electric bikes , Haibike but of course that's if you want a full suspension or front shocker's only or Hybrid road/off road :cool:

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
Wife is on a 'Cube' Step through..mint green.. can see her a long way off:D !! Me, arguably the best of the current manufacture of electric bikes , Haibike but of course that's if you want a full suspension or front shocker's only or Hybrid road/off road :cool:

Both excellent choices.... I sold my Haibike last year (lovely bike) when I bought my R& M Delite Mountian ( full suspension/ unusually a really strong rack - on a full susser)

Have fun:)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back