We've entered the E-Bike craze

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by mentaliss, Feb 23, 2016.

1. mentaliss

mentaliss

OK, £ . . . . Grand for two bikes, a lot of money but our excuse is were old! so the Question here is who's using them? and your view on the best security when parked up at the camp site or when parked outside the local coffee shop(n):)

• Like Like x 2
  2. Robert Clark

Robert Clark Funster Life Member

A gold rated chain / d-lock and secure one bike to the other.
    If possible attach one of the bikes to a lamppost or railing if poss

• Like Like x 2
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  3. PJGWiltshire

PJGWiltshire Funster

We have two V expensive e bikes. The bike insurance clearly states that as each cost over £1000 a gold standard lock is required at all times and must be secured to immovable object.ie post. To get round storing at night with the MH I bought a gold standard bike chain which I loop around the tow bar then pass through the bikes. On the road we use a Gold standard D lock locking them to a post.
    We always take a picture when we do so, so if when we come back and someone has used a grinder or such to get through we have proof of securing to post.
    We are presently in Spain and have heard the stories where these types of bikes are very much in demand from the street thieves and although not having spoken to an actual victim, the stories going round is that gangs are driving round in vans spotting bikes and jumping out with battery operated grinders. So yes we have the bikes and maybe in the future victims but I have taken the view that I will be able to prove I did everything as outlined by the insurance company. (Yellow Jersey cycles) very good cover

• Informative Informative x 2
  4. Puddleduck

Puddleduck Funster

Ours weren't that expensive (but still a lot of money). We have gold standard locks and other locks in addition. We take the batteries out of ours when going into a cafe leaving saddle up making it obvious there are bits missing :)

When I am using mine (a folder) and if Martin isn't with me I fold it around a post and secure it with several locks. If someone wanted it badly enough they would take it but by having locks, having folded it and taken the battery out I hope that there is some deterrent.

5. Puddleduck

Puddleduck Funster

Oh and wherever we go we ALWAYS get asked about the bikes!

A friend who is a keen cyclist was with us last week, she thinks an easy day is "only 70 miles" and has a trailer on her bike. She is in her early 60s........ The furthest she has cycled in a day was 150 miles but says it was easy as it was flat and only took her 10 hours.

• Like Like x 3
  6. Whitebirdyman

Whitebirdyman Funster

My cycle insurance also says about securing to an immovable object. I was concerned that in case of a claim they would refuse to pay based on a MH rack not strictly being immovable, certainly mine is removable by unscrewing two bolts. I therefore checked this specifically with the insurer (the bike insurance, not the MH insurance) and got a specific agreement that they would accept the MH bike rack as an immovable object.

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  7. Imbiber

Imbiber Funster Life Member

We're using a combination of Squire 'D' Lock alongside an ABUS Bordo folding lock. Perfectly happy to date with this combo. Currently looking at Yellow Jersey for our insurance requirements.

8. Don Quixote

Don Quixote Funster

D-lock or two, but at the end of the day if they want them they will have them. We try and secure ours in a busy place and have a few times D-locked them to bike rack at police station.

• Like Like x 1
  9. fastpat

fastpat Read Only Funster

I use a Kryptonite New York, the chain through both bikes and then locked to the chassis. If on hook up I also put the mains cable around the frames - if anyone unplugs the cable the fridge alarm goes off.

• Like Like x 2
  10. PP Bear

PP Bear Funster Life Member

image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg

• Like Like x 4
  11. Eamless

Eamless Funster

We have a couple of kalkhoff e bikes and this what we use.
    When on the bike rack
    Abus D ring - Gold
    Hip Lock - silver
    Long steel combo lock around bikes and frame - bronze
    vanbitz alarm

On campsite as above

Coffee shop
    Just the steel combo

In a dodgy town e.g. Brighton
    All 3 locks

A couple of points to remember
    Gold locks are bloody heavy and short in length
    Most places especially outside UK are safe to leave a bike during the day. Always try to put them close to a cctv camera if possible
    Never leave them at a station during the day in the UK

But normally when leaving them for a short period we use the hiplock and a longer combination lock. Both of these go around your waist and so are easy to carry.

Oh and nice to hear fromyou

• Like Like x 2
  12. Hughman

Hughman Funster

U lock/D lock frame to immovable object, plus cable lock wheels to frame, and saddle also if it's a quick release bolt. Take off all movable bits like lights, speedo, control unit etc, and if really wanting to be secure, remove battery.

In my time I've had wheels, saddles and lights pinched, and once had valves removed from tyres!

That said, if I've got then bike in sight, e.g., on beach or in a cafe, I don't worry too much.

13. maison

maison Funster

This is not meant as a criticism of anyone posting on this thread except to say isn't it sad that we have to go to such lengths to protect our property?

Cycling, whether ebikes or conventional, should be fun, not a chore. Insurance companies, and toe rag thieves make life much more difficult than it should be.

Edit.

Sorry! Just realised that was stating the bleeding obvious.

• Like Like x 3
    • Funny Funny x 1
  14. Lenny HB

Lenny HB Funster

Only requirement on our insurance is that they are secured to an immovable object when away from home no special lock requirments ,but they are only insured for £1700 each, insurers get more strict when then bikes are worth over £2500.

15. Judge Mental

Judge Mental Funster Deceased RIP

Your back! Well done:)

So @mentaliss what have you bougot??

• Informative Informative x 1
  16. Brightonian

Brightonian Funster

Now go and wash your mouth out with soap;)

• Funny Funny x 1
  17. Lenny HB

Lenny HB Funster

When we get back to the UK I'm going to buy a couple of those Lock Lites, look very secure and only weigh a kilo so I think worth the 160 quid investment.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Judge Mental

when they appear..as I believe not as yet.

Dont let Gold standard give you a false sense of security plenty of youtube stuff on defeating them. double locking with two different styles of locks the best defense plus obviously due diligence regards where you leave it! best not near kerb for instance where a disc cutter can reach it from a van

a decent short chain like the ones from Pragmasis a good choice with a n Abus D lock..yes they are heart but its and electric bike just loose a few kilos to compensate:)

http://securityforbikes.com/security-chains.php

http://www.abus.com/uk/Mobile-Security/Bike-Safety-and-Security/Locks

19. John Gallagher

John Gallagher Funster

I have ordered these http://www.litelok.com/
    Very expensive but appear to be just what we needed, lightweight and secure.
    I am still awaiting delivery, as all are on a pre order basis at the moment, so cannot comment on the actual product

20. Judge Mental

Enlightened opinion recommends spending 10% of bike value on security...Good tried and tested stuff is not cheap

• Like Like x 1