We've decided to sell our lovely van :(( (1 Viewer)

Hils and Glenns

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 13, 2015
N Yorks
Funster No
MH
Hymer B 674
Exp
Since 2015
Following Glenn having his C1 revoked we've weighed the van and don't think there is anyway we could comfortably replate it at 3500kg. So we will have to sell. We're very sad about that as we have just got everything how we want it. We've never sold a MH before so looking for advice. Is there somewhere that will give us an idea of what to sell it for? Are we better to sell privately and look for something else or would we be better to trade it in with a dealer? It's a Hymer B524 on 2008 plate. I've googled to try and find a similar one for sale to get an idea of price with no success. Obviously we would want to get a replacement van so need to get enough back to do that.:cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry:

BONZO

Free Member
Mar 1, 2012
Rotherham
Funster No
MH
Kon tiki 30ft
Exp
I'm sorry to here that. There are some nice campers out there u can drive . We have a for sale site on here why not put it on there sorry can help with price . John .linda

Ambilkate

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 15, 2009
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
HYMER 654
Exp
since 2006
Not sure about finding a price . We sold our van through preloved . We paid the membership think it was about £25 to put on as many pics on as we liked first person came and brought it had loads of people interested as well . Also put it in classified on here you can put loads if pics on here to . Good luck with the sale x
Kate

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Mar 26, 2009
Yr Wyddgrug
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL
Exp
Since 2009
One on Preloved here.

Same one advertised on Gumtree here.

Couple of older models for sale here.

Just some suggestions where to look/sell and an example of prices. Hope this helps.

Last edited:

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Are we better to sell privately and look for something else or would we be better to trade it in with a dealer?

Sell privately is more hassle.. but you would probably get a better deal when buying without a trade in.. dealers love buyers without trade ins.

Trading in is least hassle .. you could go to a couple of dealers and look at a few vans and see what they offer you .. but if you are looking at another van at or near the same age and value, trading in may not get the best price for your van

The one mention in previous post is £40k.. that's a dealers price.. selling privately you would need to set your price a bit lower.. say £37k

Quality Hymers are in big demand and sell quickly

Put a free advert on here on Fun

That's just my opinion.. see what other suggest

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
My only advice is take your time .. I lost a fortune by doing part-ex .. I had bad advice. Try selling privately first .. set yourself a time limit before going on the part ex route. :(

D

deleted-member02

Deleted User
One on Preloved here.

Same one advertised on Gumtree here.

Couple of older models for sale here.

Just some suggestions where to look/sell and an example of prices. Hope this helps.
I've noticed this one's plated at 3500kg, it's a great shame you can't keep yours @Hils and Glenns, after all it will be the same vehicle after re-plating, it won't be any less safe, you're not looking to add weight it's merely a paper exercise (I appreciate the legal aspect if you were overweight)
I think price is about right, Webbs recently sold one which was listed at £42k (from memory).
As a guide, our 2005 B524 appears to retail on forecourt at around £32k maybe a bit higher, so yours is certainly worth significantly more.
I think it should be any easy private sale, as you know they're rare and desirable.
Hope it works out for you :)

Jan 2, 2015
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Burstner Solano t725
Exp
since 2014
Out of interest, what did your van weigh? Is there no way you can strip it back a bit and change your logistics in the way you use it? ie travelling without a tank full of water etc. Its a shame if you like the MH to part with it. We are always close to our limit of 3500kg but we manage by watching what we carry! We lose 110kg by travelling with the tank empty. Half a tank of Diesel is 50kg lighter than a full one. Do you need all the windbreaks, chairs ramps etc. We managed to lose 15 kg just out of our crockery & cutlery cupboard.
I know some purists say it takes the fun out of it if you cant carry what you want but if you like the MH you have then you may have to look at it another way.
Bear in mind also that most coachbuilts rated at 3500 are close to that anyhow.
Decisions Decisions?

kcy

Free Member
Nov 7, 2013
east yorkshire
Funster No
MH
chausson flash
Exp
since 2012
Best wishes with everything

Jan 2, 2015
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Burstner Solano t725
Exp
since 2014
Might be worth taking it to two or three different weighbridges to get it weighed and then empty everything out of it and see what you can do without.
It will cost money to change your MH and you will end up with one you don't know!

Have you considered a trailer.?

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Out of interest, why was Glenns C1 revoked? Any chance of an appeal, say, through your GP? There are several Funsters who've been down that road.

Might save you having to sell.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Out of interest, why was Glenns C1 revoked? Any chance of an appeal, say, through your GP? There are several Funsters who've been down that road.

Might save you having to sell.

Huge thread has done this to death, have a quick search.

Abacist

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 15, 2013
Devon
Funster No
MH
N & B Tag Axle
Exp
since 2013
A trailer sounds like a good idea! Other little things would add up like changing steel wheels to alloy wheels.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
OP
OP
Hils and Glenns

Hils and Glenns

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 13, 2015
N Yorks
Funster No
MH
Hymer B 674
Exp
Since 2015
Have you prepared an advert for your van yet?
Just doing this now. Need to take some photos. I will put it on Fun first. Just been checking if the warranty is transferable. Turns out it is, for a fee of £25. It still has about 18 months to run so would be well worth it. Hopefully that will help it sell. Still get a gutted feeling when I say that, but we've come to terms with it having to go.

Mar 26, 2009
Yr Wyddgrug
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL
Exp
Since 2009
Please let us know when you've put the advert up.

Sep 24, 2013
Norwich
Funster No
MH
Carthago A class
Exp
Since 2014
With regard to weight saving we replaced our table with a home made smaller folding one........saved 10kg. Also changed twin 13kg calor bottles for a single 11kg aluminium refillable. Saved nearly 40kg. We were sailing a bit close to wind at 3440kg so needed to look at weight savings.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back