WeSwap Cash Card ... top up £50, get £10 free! (1 Viewer)

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
This WeSwap card has been mentioned on the forum before however at the moment if you apply via the Money Saving Expert website when you top up with £50 or more you get an extra £10 'gift' for nowt!

http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/credit-cards/prepaid-travel-cards#weswapeurodollar

It works a bit differently to the usual Cash Cards as you can choose when you get your exchanged cash and thus how much commission you pay:

1.0% if you wait 7 days (although free for first year for those who apply via MSE)
1.3% if you wait 4 days
1.4% if you want it immediately

The rate can vary depending on when the exchange takes place and give a similar rate to the interbank rate - it exchanges £ with people who want to swap € or whatever currency in return, a bit like 'peer to peer' lending but on currency swaps.

https://www.weswap.com/en/

I've just compared the rate at the moment (using £100 as an example):

Revolut: £100 = €117.21
WeSwap: £100 = €116.61 (plus commission)

Not saying whether it's good or bad but just an alternative to the usual cash cards.

Jan 28, 2008
Dovercourt, Harwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Renalt burstner
Exp
7 years campers before that
we use a we swop and every time ive checked the rate is comparable to revoult usually the price you see includes the commision you sure thats right minxy?
weve had it about 4 years and bit flakey at first but last time abroad it was accepted every where

OP
OP
Minxy

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
we use a we swop and every time ive checked the rate is comparable to revoult usually the price you see includes the commision you sure thats right minxy?
weve had it about 4 years and bit flakey at first but last time abroad it was accepted every where
I can only say what I've read on the website so far as it doesn't say a lot and I've only just applied for the card, hopefully I'll find out some more info ... would someone else like to have a look instead?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jan 28, 2008
Dovercourt, Harwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Renalt burstner
Exp
7 years campers before that
it is a bit strange as you realy go into the swap blind but its always seemed to be better than most originally it was more like a spread sheet where you virtually picked your own swop

maxi77

Free Member
Mar 20, 2013
Kingdom of Fife
Funster No
MH
coacbuilt
Exp
Mind you when dealing with a money changer nothing is free

OP
OP
Minxy

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Mind you when dealing with a money changer nothing is free
You're right but they are quite open that they get their income from the exchanges.

kip

Free Member
Apr 26, 2015
Bulphan
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Been using ours in Spain for 3 weeks now on toll machines, automated petrol stations,ATM''s, shops & paying for camping. Wouldn't be without it.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Not saying whether it's good or bad but just an alternative to the usual cash cards.

Your link says up front that there are better deals with some credit cards.

There seems to be a gotcha in quite a big charge in getting cash under €200 you need to watch out for this. So putting in £50 for a tenner bonus won't be very productive.

OP
OP
Minxy

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Your link says up front that there are better deals with some credit cards.

There seems to be a gotcha in quite a big charge in getting cash under €200 you need to watch out for this. So putting in £50 for a tenner bonus won't be very productive.
Only if you withdraw it at an ATM, not if you use the card to pay for something. Taking the £50+£10=£60 as an example which converts to approx €72, the commission you'd pay if you withdraw it would be €1.75, leaving you with just over €70 ... a 'profit' of just over £8.

But the benefit is that you've got a card for getting cash out abroad for free for a year if you always wait 7 days after exchanging it and draw out over €200 a time ... a good backup if you need it especially with Revolut now charging fees if you want more than €200 out a month.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
But the benefit is that you've got a card for getting cash out abroad for free for a year

We use CaxtonFX and Halifax. Sometimes my Co-op card in an awkward filling station or toll. I don't think we do too badly out of this and I have to say the Halifax has had some very pleasing on-the-day rates. So far Revolt or this does not insist I join right now.

OP
OP
Minxy

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
We use CaxtonFX and Halifax. Sometimes my Co-op card in an awkward filling station or toll. I don't think we do too badly out of this and I have to say the Halifax has had some very pleasing on-the-day rates. So far Revolt or this does not insist I join right now.
Not saying the WeSwap card is any better or worse, just an alternative. Not sure what you mean about joining now though ... when you take out any card you 'join' them?

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Not saying the WeSwap card is any better or worse, just an alternative. Not sure what you mean about joining now though ... when you take out any card you 'join' them?

I realise what you are saying, just my take on it.

Join ? Yes you are joining in a scheme when to take a card out.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back