Western Isles Ferry

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by alf, Aug 5, 2009.

1. alf

alf Read Only Funster

As you may or may not know the SNP Member for the Western Isles
    is looking into asking Calmac to charge the full price for Motor Caravans visiting the Western Islands he says this is due to the islanders calling us binfillers

to get the full story visit wildcampin.co.uk or see post on this site
    BAD NEWS FOR THE WESTERN ISLES

Please vote NO on online poll not to have ferry fares increased for campervans to the Western Isles.

Go to home page of http://www.stornowaygazette.co.uk/ and on the right hand side you will find:

"Island businesses feeling benefit of RET" open this page and the voting is half way down the righthand side. Thanks

2. GJH

GJH Funster Life Member

Interesting also to see the story Tourists flock to islands in midst of recession.

It would seem that local camp site owners do not necessarily agree with Mr Macneil.

It will be interesting to find out the full facts (if we ever do).

Graham

3. Bulletguy

Bulletguy Read Only Funster

Naturally they won't and who could blame them? It's a double edged sword.

The Hebrides are small islands with many small narrow roads and 'wild camping' areas quickly become overcrowded, i wild camped at one place where there was just four small campervans and no room for anymore. That said, the views were simply breathtaking.

Like any other area which attracts tourism the local population have just a limited time to profit from the season and within the next few weeks, 99% of the campervan tourist 'invasion' will have disappeared leaving the islanders who live there to sit out the rough weather.

4. alf

alf Read Only Funster

Yes but there are hunderds of places to wild camp if you look and at most of them
    you cannot see a croft / house / dwelling call it what you will and did you see any No Overnight Parking, Camping or whatever no I bet you did not.
    The SNP is spouting for a few just look here,

MPs' expenses: cash-for-peerages MP claimed for Toblerone - Telegraph

A prime example for us all.

Alf

5. GJH

GJH Funster Life Member

I wouldn't blame them at all.

Reading between the lines of the Sunday Mail report it is adverse effects on certain areas which has led to the protests.

With respect that is irrelevant to this topic. The fact that he was wrong then does not necessarily mean he is wrong all the time. I suspect there are further facts to emerge yet.

Graham

6. pappajohn

pappajohn Funster Life Member

just gone back to the original thread by derekfreaberwick and this is in the link page....full story here

so the scottish government gave the go-ahead for this price cut and a minor scottish MP (had you heard of him before this?) wants to overturn it 'cos HE doesnt like it:Doh:

im sure most of the islanders welcome the extra income and tollerate the 'inconvenience' for a couple of summer months.

Last edited: Aug 5, 2009
  7. Bulletguy

Bulletguy Read Only Funster

Exactly why i stated it's a 'double edged sword'. I doubt very much any islanders who rely on tourist income are protesting! It does seem to be more of a political agenda with a few brownie points to be scored here 'n there.

Pity the same politicians don't appear to have any problems whatsover with the adverse effect the proposed building of the windfarm on Lewis will cause. A permanent and everlasting eyesore and ruination of a very small fragile landscape. And for what?
    A few nice little backhanders.

8. staging lady

staging lady Funster

Just voted, Alf. 76% No 24%yes to increase fares for campers when I voted.
    Lucille

9. The Wallace

The Wallace Read Only Funster

I would urge everyone to vote on this, just in case anyone looks at it!

We went to Harris/Lewis at the end of May only because of the benefit RET gives.

We spent about £500 on our visit in local stores, pubs, restaurants, filling stations, camp sites (3), tourist attractions and general shops.

If councilor Mcneil will refund this money I promise never to take my 'campervan' back to his constituency. Let him explain to his voters how he single handedly removed this income stream from the island.

Muppets like him crop up everywhere but not many survive.