Sep 6, 2008
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Benimar Mileo 286
Exp
around 26 years
Good Afternoon

Whilst away later this year wife has suggested we do a bit of Loch fishing. It's been a while since I have had the old rods out, so will be replacing the lines etc.
Where is the best place to go to find out which Lochs I can fish, and what licences I need if any and of course what fish may be in any particular Loch, as this could determine what new lines I buy.
Not sure yet if we Fly, Lure or bait fish, I'll have to see it i can adapt something to pin the rods on the garage wall or roof to keep them out of the way.

T

Mags52

Free Member
Jun 2, 2010
Melrose Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Hymer B774
Exp
Since 2010
In Scotland you need permits for individual places not an annual rod license as in England. There are loads of small lochs (lochans) and Estates that allow fishing (mostly fly). When you get to a place ask at local newsagents as they usually sell the permits. Here is an example of one estate with fishing and also a CL.
Enjoy!
Mags

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

laird of Dunstan

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 15, 2015
lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 9000DFH
Exp
ex caravanner
If the loch is a water reservoir then it will be fly only ,there are some lochs where you can bait fish or spin.I'd reccomend loch Katrine in the Trossachs ,my info may be out if date but we used to phone the Glasgow wate board for permits ,the scenery at Katrine is stunning and the fishing good ,there will be.boards with signs on them at other lochs informing you of the permit situation ,if it says Angling club then it will normally be a members only set up.
For bait fishing ,large earth worms on a ledger work well so so maggots ,for rivers I find thatbswim feeders work well

Sep 4, 2014
Putney, London
Funster No
MH
Still Just Looking :-(
Exp
If going to the West Coast for gods sake take as much midge spray and cream as you can lay your hands on - its a bit early now but give it a few weeks and there will be squadrons of the little sods out!!

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
If you are just after brown trout then unless there is a sign saying otherwise, which is unlikely outside of places like the Tay then no permits or licences of any sort are required in Scotland. This means you can fish for brown trout in more or less any loch but it would pay to ask at a local tackle shop, if only because you may get some advice on the best places to go.

Sea trout and salmon a very different matter of course so this means stay away from rivers unless you have been told it is free to fish.

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
I forgot to mention the option for game fishing in the sea. At Port Erroll by Cruden Bay you can park on the harbour wall and fish from there for sea trout in the summer. Spinning or ledgered frozen sand eel seems to work from what I remember. They weren't big fish, more herling than sea trout but not to be sneezed at. :)

There isn't a lot of space for MHs so I suggest avoid weekends. Spring tides probably best but that's only a guess, and unlike the shot below, wait until the tide is coming in! There must be other spots you can fish for sea trout in the sea in Scotland, a bit of googling might turn something up, if not the locals are just keeping it a secret. :)

P6170072.JPG

Last edited:

maxi77

Free Member
Mar 20, 2013
Kingdom of Fife
Funster No
MH
coacbuilt
Exp
If you are just after brown trout then unless there is a sign saying otherwise, which is unlikely outside of places like the Tay then no permits or licences of any sort are required in Scotland. This means you can fish for brown trout in more or less any loch but it would pay to ask at a local tackle shop, if only because you may get some advice on the best places to go.

Sea trout and salmon a very different matter of course so this means stay away from rivers unless you have been told it is free to fish.

Fishing for wild brown trout does not need a licence but if the water is stocked with either rainbow or brown trout all fishing requires a licence. In general any water which is easy to get too is stocked and will need a licence. Permits are usually easy to buy from local shops.

Dec 10, 2013
South Staffs
Funster No
MH
Pilote P740GJ
Exp
Since 2013
Does anyone know if a permit is required to fish the sea lochs?

Teuchter

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Nov 4, 2014
Lee on the Solent
Funster No
MH
Hymer Mercedes MLI 580
Exp
I have been caravanning for 32 years but in 2014 I have"gone over to the dark side"
To the best of my knowlege sea lochs are free to fish by rod and line however in some, where someone owns (and pays annually) for a salmon net "Station" then any salmon or sea trout caught within the bounds of said station should (in theory) be given to that person. In practice however that never happens ;) :)

Be careful of where the sea loch ends and the river estuary begins though because fishing there without a local permit could spell trouble with a capital T :(

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back