West Highland Loch fishing

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by Tezza, Apr 20, 2016.

1. Tezza

Tezza Funster

Good Afternoon

Whilst away later this year wife has suggested we do a bit of Loch fishing. It's been a while since I have had the old rods out, so will be replacing the lines etc.
    Where is the best place to go to find out which Lochs I can fish, and what licences I need if any and of course what fish may be in any particular Loch, as this could determine what new lines I buy.
    Not sure yet if we Fly, Lure or bait fish, I'll have to see it i can adapt something to pin the rods on the garage wall or roof to keep them out of the way.

T

2. Mags52

Mags52 Funster

Double post - sorry

3. Mags52

Mags52 Funster

In Scotland you need permits for individual places not an annual rod license as in England. There are loads of small lochs (lochans) and Estates that allow fishing (mostly fly). When you get to a place ask at local newsagents as they usually sell the permits. Here is an example of one estate with fishing and also a CL.
    Enjoy!
    Mags

• Like Like x 1
  4. laird of Dunstan

laird of Dunstan Funster Life Member

If the loch is a water reservoir then it will be fly only ,there are some lochs where you can bait fish or spin.I'd reccomend loch Katrine in the Trossachs ,my info may be out if date but we used to phone the Glasgow wate board for permits ,the scenery at Katrine is stunning and the fishing good ,there will be.boards with signs on them at other lochs informing you of the permit situation ,if it says Angling club then it will normally be a members only set up.
    For bait fishing ,large earth worms on a ledger work well so so maggots ,for rivers I find thatbswim feeders work well

5. Wildman

Wildman Read Only Funster

are licences or permits required for the great glen?

6. BMStewart2004

BMStewart2004 Funster

If going to the West Coast for gods sake take as much midge spray and cream as you can lay your hands on - its a bit early now but give it a few weeks and there will be squadrons of the little sods out!!

7. laird of Dunstan

laird of Dunstan Funster Life Member

I'm not sure, but most rivers will have a sign ,usually telling you that you can get a permit from someplace like the local shop or farm house

8. John Laidler

John Laidler Funster

If you are just after brown trout then unless there is a sign saying otherwise, which is unlikely outside of places like the Tay then no permits or licences of any sort are required in Scotland. This means you can fish for brown trout in more or less any loch but it would pay to ask at a local tackle shop, if only because you may get some advice on the best places to go.

Sea trout and salmon a very different matter of course so this means stay away from rivers unless you have been told it is free to fish.

9. brianju

brianju Funster

A few years ago we stopped off at a CL (not to fish) at Drummond Trout Farm, Loch Erne. A really lovely location where we spotted Osprey.

There are fishing permits and boat hire here too - http://www.drummondtroutfarm.co.uk/

10. John Laidler

John Laidler Funster

I forgot to mention the option for game fishing in the sea. At Port Erroll by Cruden Bay you can park on the harbour wall and fish from there for sea trout in the summer. Spinning or ledgered frozen sand eel seems to work from what I remember. They weren't big fish, more herling than sea trout but not to be sneezed at. :)

There isn't a lot of space for MHs so I suggest avoid weekends. Spring tides probably best but that's only a guess, and unlike the shot below, wait until the tide is coming in! There must be other spots you can fish for sea trout in the sea in Scotland, a bit of googling might turn something up, if not the locals are just keeping it a secret. :)

P6170072.JPG

Last edited: Apr 20, 2016
    • Like Like x 1
  11. maxi77

maxi77 Funster

Fishing for wild brown trout does not need a licence but if the water is stocked with either rainbow or brown trout all fishing requires a licence. In general any water which is easy to get too is stocked and will need a licence. Permits are usually easy to buy from local shops.

• Like Like x 1
  12. daveandsan

daveandsan Funster

Does anyone know if a permit is required to fish the sea lochs?

13. Teuchter

Teuchter Funster

To the best of my knowlege sea lochs are free to fish by rod and line however in some, where someone owns (and pays annually) for a salmon net "Station" then any salmon or sea trout caught within the bounds of said station should (in theory) be given to that person. In practice however that never happens ;) :)

Be careful of where the sea loch ends and the river estuary begins though because fishing there without a local permit could spell trouble with a capital T :(

• Thanks Thanks x 1