West coast scotland may or september (1 Viewer)

old-mo

Funster
Extra Special
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp
Caravan & motorhome 45 + yrs
"Midges".... say welcome to Scotland... :Eeek:

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
We did it in September a couple of years ago had great weather and no midges.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

klaatu

Free Member
Aug 10, 2013
Vienne, France
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp
Since 2014
You can be lucky and not have midges in September, or you can be unlucky and have them swarming all over you. You've got to ask yourself one question: "Do I feel lucky?".

Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
Since 2009 with motorhomes several caravans then tents before that.
We did the NC500 in September over 3 weeks. Last year.
Not one midge East, North or West coast and we had a fantastic time too.

Candapack

Free Member
Oct 16, 2014
Fife, Scotland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2013
September is a great time for the west coast. Yes, the fearsome midge can still be around, but less so than in August, and as others have said, you might get lucky. Plus, if you stick to the coast, breezes will keep it at bay. Mostly.
I love the west coast, and have never let the midge put me off going at any time of year. Modern repellents are very effective, you're not going there to get a tan so appropriate clothing isn't a problem either.
Go and enjoy it. :)

Feb 4, 2016
West Sussex, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer B680 Starline
Exp
Long term a few years now.
Spent four weeks in Scotland last year starting in late august only place we had midges was on Skye . What a place though breathtaking and friendly (y)

Apr 25, 2012
Near Truro, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
September is a great time for the west coast. Yes, the fearsome midge can still be around, but less so than in August, and as others have said, you might get lucky. Plus, if you stick to the coast, breezes will keep it at bay. Mostly.
I love the west coast, and have never let the midge put me off going at any time of year. Modern repellents are very effective, you're not going there to get a tan so appropriate clothing isn't a problem either.
Go and enjoy it. :)
I agree with this, although when we did the West coast in September it was hot and sunny and we DID get a tan. The other thing you could consider is renting a giant midge fancy dress costume. The smaller midges would take one look and run. The downside might be frightening the other campers and running the risk of someone squirting you with DDT....the worst place we stayed at (for midges) was Ardmair, 3 miles north of Ullapool. Great location, good cafe on site and unbeatable views, but each evening the site owner would walk past the vans wearing what looked like a bee keepers head cover. Curious, I stepped out to follow him to the honey, and quickly stepped back in, chased by the no see-ums.

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
The two worst places I have ever been as far as midge are concerned are the area around Loch Sunart (Strontian and further west from there) and the forests around Grantown-on-Spey. I was eaten alive in both places.

CWH

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 29, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
WildAx PVC
Exp
From November 2013
When you arrive, keep checking here https://www.smidgeup.com/midge-forecast/ to help plan your travels.

But also be aware of ticks. Another good reason to cover up if you're out walking in the heather, bracken etc.

Teuchter

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Nov 4, 2014
Lee on the Solent
Funster No
MH
Hymer Mercedes MLI 580
Exp
I have been caravanning for 32 years but in 2014 I have"gone over to the dark side"
We spent 3 weeks in May in Scotland last year - weather great - not a Midge in sight!! :)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back