West and North Wales in 5 nights

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by meakwooders, Aug 21, 2016.

1. meakwooders

meakwooders Funster

Hi

Any hints or suggestions welcome. i have a few days free, from Friday 26th. I live in Bromyard, near Leominster. I have never explored Wales, and thought maybe a drive to Aberystwyth, up to Betws y Coed and a trip on the Snowdon mountain train.
    I like pub stopovers or cl's/cs sites if possible. Is it a bit over ambitious? What are the must sees.

Karen

• Like Like x 1
  2. Glandwr

Glandwr Funster

Conway medival walled town, aire type accommodation (without services) on the car park behind castle, Mawddach estuary, Llandudno (classic seaside resort without the tat thanks to the Mostyn estate) while there the Great Orme and the 4,000 year old copper mine that supplied all of Europe in the booze age. Portmeirion etc plenty to see enjoy!

Dick

• Like Like x 1
  3. themogs

themogs Funster

:HelloThere:Before you go to Aberystwyth, spend a few hours (or a night) at Aberaeron (recommend Drefnewydd site).
    Lovely town, one of our favourites, with plenty of Gruberies and drinkeries.:pop::pop:
    Right on the harbour, we recommend THE HARBOURMASTER HOTEL:drinks:
    You won't be sorry:happy::happy:

• Like Like x 2
  4. houdini

houdini Funster

At Aberystwyth you can take the furnicular train up the cliff to the camera obscura; and the steam train up to Devils Bridge Waterfall, takes about an hour, hour up there, then back. If nice weather you can travel in an open sided carriage, lovely views down in the valley as the train climbs.

Have fun! :)

• Like Like x 2
  5. magicsurfbus

magicsurfbus Funster

Base yourself near Porthmadog and you have easy access to Harlech Castle, Porthmeirion, Ffestiniog Railway, the Ffestiniog Slate Mines, and the heart of Snowdonia. The Snowdon Mountain Train costs an arm and a leg by the way.

If you like cycle tracks, don't miss the Mawddach trail between Barmouth and Dolgellau.

I agree with @Glandwr about Llandudno if you want to see a resort that's a cut above most (I wish I'd lived in the Booze Age - preshictive texsht?).

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  6. Tea Bag

Tea Bag Funster

Hi.
    Dare i say. Shell Island ? Llanbedre ? (Between Barmouth and Harlech) Allways stayed at a farm at the end of the Causeway,as c/vans were not allowed on,tides or something.There was a Mr Hughes,had a CL,(In the book) going out of llanbedre about a mile or less,on the right towards Harlech,drive up a track and the site has a super view over the estuary.Or C&cc ? Through Llanbedre again,about half a mile on your left,turn down towards the trainstation,go to the bottom of this road and you will come to a car park at the end,the CS,is on your left through a gate,good walks along the beach.
    Tea Bag

• Like Like x 1
  7. Figaro

Figaro Funster

Just got back, loved the cycle track even though it did rain on us all weekend :(
    (well most of the weekend)

The list of places I need to go back to in fine weather is growing alarmingly

• Like Like x 1
  8. oozzie

oozzie Funster

hi, Aberystwyth has a big tribute music festival on bank holiday weekend. You can do single nights or the whole weekend. Oh and its a beer & cider festival too. Up the road is Borth where you can stop almost on the beach for about a tenner. Conwy has a motorhome stopover at go explore for £10 a night. Conwy castle car park has motorhome parking bays but not for overnighting.

Oozzie

• Like Like x 1
  9. meakwooders

meakwooders Funster

Hi all

Thank you for some great suggestions. I am visiting a friend in Nottingham on Saturday, so I think I will stay in one place for a few nights and tour around in the van. The cycle track looks great, and I still want to go up Snowdon, if the weather permits. I just have to decide where to park my wheels. Any suggestions around Porthmadog?

I could stay overnight in Conwy, and then move round. Travel back via Aberystwyth perhaps to Leominster and home on Wednesday.

Or.....................................save it for another time and explore the Peak district instead, as it is closer, and I haven't been there either.

Oh well, I have a few days to prevaricate and dither. Or, more positively reflect and consider my options.

10. meakwooders

meakwooders Funster

OK, plan sort of coming together. I have booked a Brit stop for Saturday night, and white water rafting on Sunday. No accommodation after that yet, but heading up to Llanberis to the Snowdon Mountain Railway on Monday, as the forecast looks good. Then a couple of days around Barmouth, so I can walk or cycle the Mawwdach Trail, and home. I need to find some accommodation around Barmouth, I am a member of CC and 3C as well as Britstops so hope to find something even though it is the last week in August.
    I am trying to track down Teabags suggestions.

I am planning a very touristy trip, as you can see!!

11. Khizzie

Khizzie Funster

My fav.area lived near porthmadog for several years .a great base to explore from ..

• Like Like x 1
  12. grumps147

grumps147 Funster

Have a ride up to the old coastguard station near Aberdaron at the tip of the Llyn peninsular.

• Like Like x 2
  13. meakwooders

meakwooders Funster

Thanks - to all who offered suggestions and advice. I loved Wales, it reminded me of home, but with fewer people and bigger hills! (Home is Devon, on the edge of Dartmoor).

I have had an epic few days, and will definitely be back to do some of the things I didn't manage this time.

I stayed for two nights on a CL in Llanbedre, which was nice, peaceful with great views, and easy reach to everywhere. I even had a paddle in the sea, at the local beach.

I recommend the white water rafting, great fun, I was smiling for hours afterwards.

I drove up to Llanberis but did not get on the train. I did not pre-book online, and it was packed out, unsurprising on a sunny Bank Holiday Monday. However, the drive up was jaw droppingly stunning.

I also walked some of the Mawddach Estuary trail, and want to go back, on my bike. Dolgellau was a nice town to wander around.

All in all, a brilliant little break. I saw lots of other motorhomes of all ages, shapes and sizes, and waved at most of them, with varying results!!

• Like Like x 1