We're off to France in a couple of weeks - what connectors do we need?

Discussion in 'France' started by Oriel, Sep 1, 2015.

1. Oriel

Oriel

We've decided against Scotland this year because of the weather and decided to chase the sun and go to the south of France.

Although we're quite familiar driving in France (we owned a chalet in Morzine) we've never been in the motorhome before. Can anyone tell us what we need for gas and electric please? Do we have to buy different gas bottles entirely or are connectors available to make our existing bottles compatible? Same question with electric. If connectors are needed, where do you buy them?

2. Stealaway

Stealaway Funster

A French plug to 16a cable adaptor easily available at camping shops might be useful.

You can get free bottles from Supermarket Chains (we use Super U) in France, you need only pay for the gas. You will then need to buy a French regulator from a Brick o Mat or some such. It is then simply a matter of finding the nearest Super U (there are hundreds) when you need a refill.
    We have a tee piece with a Calor regulator and a French one piped together, we simply swap between them

3. John Laidler

John Laidler Funster

4. Polar bear

Polar bear Funster

Reverse polarity plugs are handy as some sites are wired up in reverse also a plug in reverse polarity tester

5. glenn2926

glenn2926 Funster

Keep reading about this reverse polarity malarkey. What is it and how does the appliance know which way the elastic trickery is going? If the the appliance does not know why do I need to know?

6. Allanm

Allanm Funster

Reverse polarity is when the live and neutral are reversed. It used to be a lot more common years ago and we always carried a plug in socket tester and screwdriver. After a while, I made up a reversed polarity 16a hook up plug and could swap them over if necessary. So on a U.K. circuit, the live is fused. France don't do fused plugs, they have double pole circuit breakers ( and a good thing too, the French plugs, sockets and switches are crap)
    On my fuse box, I have a light that tells me if the polarity is reversed. If it is, and you have a U.K. plug plugged into the van ( usually older vans with no circuit breakers) and the fuse blows, the live feed is still there.
    Probably.
    I would be more worried about having the right size tap adapters. French taps seem to come in more sizes than U.K. taps. Good news is, many supermarkets and diy stores sell these adapters. Buy two of each because you WILL leave one on a tap somewhere. Mine is at an aire in Mutigny!

7. Robert Clark

Robert Clark Funster Life Member

Johns cross add extra for postage and packing - also I just noticed that their returns policy does not comply with current consumer legislation
    I'd suggest getting one off eBay, with free delivery

8. wingman

wingman Funster

Don't forget some tap/hose connectors for fresh water (if you intend to fill up your on-board tank that is).