Baileysbus

Free Member
Aug 2, 2016
Fife
Funster No
Exp
Start of 2016
IMG_2156.JPG
So we made it across from Poole to Cherbourg this morning for our 3 week "tour de France. It's our first time over in the MH with dog and first time on an aire. We're hoping to get to Dinan but weather looked better on the way over so we're at 18648 in campercontact near Mont Saint Michel. Lovely aire and easy to do the payment system. Only thing we need to do is top up with LPG tomorrow so I think I've found a station in Lanvalley near Dinan so we'll head there in the morning. Aire quite busy considering but not rammed shoulder to shoulder. So far so bon (y)(y):giggle:

May 7, 2011
Cornwall Gorran Haven
Funster No
MH
T Line 785
Exp
motorhoming since 1979
Hi Baileybus,
free water at Lehon aire 5 mins south of Dinan gps 48.442023, -2.042143,
nice free aire nr lake at Evran St Andres des Eaux
15 mins south both in camper contact gps 48.381474, -1.998946

OP
OP
Baileysbus

Baileysbus

Free Member
Aug 2, 2016
Fife
Funster No
Exp
Start of 2016
Cheers @FIDGET will check them out once we've "done" Dinan again. Many years since I was last there but I don't suppose it's changed that much :rolleyes:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Baileysbus

Baileysbus

Free Member
Aug 2, 2016
Fife
Funster No
Exp
Start of 2016
IMG_2161.JPG
Sit rep....... so we had a good night at the aire near Mont Saint Michel and after breakfast (croque monsieur of course) headed along to Dinan. Got some LPG along the way ...... I say some, cos for some reason, it's not fully filled our empty tank which means we currently have 2 half tanks :( We had help from the guy in the garage so didn't like to hassle him too much but it will do for now.
Dinan was lovely (as always). The rain stopped and we parked up at the aire under the viaduct number 2153. It's Sunday so it was free (y) Wandered round the old port then up the cobbled street to the town for a well earned cafe and crepe (oo er)
Decided to move on again so we're now in 14575 at Huelgoat. Camperstop says it has all facilities for 5€ but the bit we're in is open, hard standing and a rubbish bin but is free which is always a good price (y) Off into the village soon for a :wine:
Catch you anon!
Cheers Bob

OP
OP
Baileysbus

Baileysbus

Free Member
Aug 2, 2016
Fife
Funster No
Exp
Start of 2016
Update - Left Huelgoat this morning after it pi$$ed down all night. The site was fine and indeed was free so that's all good. We headed down to Quiberon and came back up along the Cote Sauvage ....... correctly named as it was blowing a hooley with massive Atlantic swells rolling in. Very impressive (y) We then headed along to tonight's aire at Kerilio number 22719. EHU, showers and toilet and laundry facilites too plus a baguette machine :rolleyes:
Off down to île de re tomorrow for a couple of days at least....... weather due to improve :cool:
What's not to like :cheers:

Mousy

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 13, 2013
Sa15 2DG
Funster No
MH
Hymer S840 Merc auto
Exp
Since 2013
Enjoy the ile de rey we had a fantastic time there last year with @cliffandger.

Glad you are enjoying your time in France. It's so easy here isn't it?

OP
OP
Baileysbus

Baileysbus

Free Member
Aug 2, 2016
Fife
Funster No
Exp
Start of 2016
Enjoy the ile de rey we had a fantastic time there last year with @cliffandger.

Glad you are enjoying your time in France. It's so easy here isn't it?
It's just brilliant (y). Very easy driving. Totally MH friendly with good parking. We're hoping to hit the aire at St Martin with a bit of luck. I think we're going to be OK as most of the aires weve been to so far have had spaces. :)

May 7, 2011
Cornwall Gorran Haven
Funster No
MH
T Line 785
Exp
motorhoming since 1979
Hi, We camped at the municpal c/site at St Marie de Re , gps 46.145261, -1.315142
Camping Nature Indigo De La Cote Sauvage
beach side , gate straight thru to rugged beach ,everybody collect moules at low tide.
Basic but OK small cafe on site.

OP
OP
Baileysbus

Baileysbus

Free Member
Aug 2, 2016
Fife
Funster No
Exp
Start of 2016
Hi, We camped at the municpal c/site at St Marie de Re , gps 46.145261, -1.315142
Camping Nature Indigo De La Cote Sauvage
beach side , gate straight thru to rugged beach ,everybody collect moules at low tide.
Basic but OK small cafe on site.
Thanks @FIDGET. sounds like a good call if we can't get into St Martin. Take it that's nature as in "wildlife" as opposed to "in the buff" :rolleyes:

May 7, 2011
Cornwall Gorran Haven
Funster No
MH
T Line 785
Exp
motorhoming since 1979
Yes deffo nature not nudist , I wouldn't take mine off , otherwise everybody would die laughing!! not a pretty site !!

May 7, 2011
Cornwall Gorran Haven
Funster No
MH
T Line 785
Exp
motorhoming since 1979
Some pics of the site & beach
upload_2017-5-1_17-59-38.jpeg

upload_2017-5-1_18-0-3.jpeg

upload_2017-5-1_18-0-35.jpeg

upload_2017-5-1_18-1-4.jpeg

This was us with 2 other mohos fromthe Isle of Wight
I was taking the pics so I wasn't in any, but the Pilote A class was mine at the time

OP
OP
Baileysbus

Baileysbus

Free Member
Aug 2, 2016
Fife
Funster No
Exp
Start of 2016
Thanks @FIDGET. That definitely looks like worth exploring. I'll see how we get on and I'll keep you posted (y)

OP
OP
Baileysbus

Baileysbus

Free Member
Aug 2, 2016
Fife
Funster No
Exp
Start of 2016
IMG_2182.JPG
So today's wee sojourn got us down to St Martin de Re and the aire in the town. Bit traumatic in the last 200 yards as the road was being dug up and a school bus was ahead of us and firmly stuck. A friendly gendarme helped us all reverse safely and once the bus had passed we got into the aire. Bit of a squeeze but we're in (y)
We'll have a couple of days here and then head over to the beach site suggested by @FIDGET for another couple of days before moving on.
Great site this ........ and I mean fun not the aire. @Minxy Girl helped my thinking on putting mifi in the van and that's been just brilliant and here's @FIDGET and others suggesting sites to go. Brilliant, thanks to all(y)
Today's pic at the top of the page.
Sun is out and wine is poured. What's not to like!

Mousy

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 13, 2013
Sa15 2DG
Funster No
MH
Hymer S840 Merc auto
Exp
Since 2013
Brilliant that you are settled for a bit. If you've got the time, we did a thread on our holibobs with cliff and Ger last September, I'm away on my phone so can't do the link but it might be useful information for you.

I cannot remember what we called it...ille be seeing you? Something like that!

@cliffandger help?

Mousy

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 13, 2013
Sa15 2DG
Funster No
MH
Hymer S840 Merc auto
Exp
Since 2013
And if you want a giggle check out our thread 2nd honeymoon..

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
We recently spent 8 nights in the campsite aire at Bois Plage en Re (Camping Amis de la Plage) which I can heartily recommend to others (and frequently do).

If the aire at St Martin is either full or impractical, just next to it on the same street is a very reasonably priced Camping Municipale. Some of the pitches are backed by the Vauban ramparts, which is a bit novel.

If you get the chance, find your way down to Rivedoux Plage for a close up look at the Re bridge - it's an impressive piece of architecture. Good fun cycling up it and freewheeling back down too. Also, the bike ride from Bois Plage (or St Martin) to Loix has a lot of interesting stuff along the way. The Frog Chorus around some of the ponds has to be heard to be believed.

OP
OP
Baileysbus

Baileysbus

Free Member
Aug 2, 2016
Fife
Funster No
Exp
Start of 2016
IMG_2216.JPG
IMG_2209.JPG

So today we visited La Flotte and had lunch then camped up at the municipal site as suggested by @FIDGET ;) thanks for the tip.
Been on the beach with a (now) very wet dog and are relaxing soaking up the rays with a glass of vino. Off to La Rochelle in the morning.

OP
OP
Baileysbus

Baileysbus

Free Member
Aug 2, 2016
Fife
Funster No
Exp
Start of 2016
IMG_2225.JPG
So yesterday we were on La Rochelle (y) and had a great day round the town and shops SWMBO in full swing with the gift buying.
We parked up at the aire on the P+R Jean Moulin. Quite busy with about 30 other MHs mostly French.
Sat nag is really getting on my wick as no matter how I set preferences it does insist on throwing a random turn off down a crappy wee road every now and then!
We're packing up soon and moving on to Cognac and then Brantome to see what we can see.
Catch you all later :france:

May 7, 2011
Cornwall Gorran Haven
Funster No
MH
T Line 785
Exp
motorhoming since 1979
You'll love Brantome, really well worth taking the electric boat ride ,lovely town albeit a bit touristy !

OP
OP
Baileysbus

Baileysbus

Free Member
Aug 2, 2016
Fife
Funster No
Exp
Start of 2016
IMG_2240.JPG
So we made it to Cognac and had a look round. We parked up in the official aire or actually, in the nearby car park. It didnt seem a problem as it was a free car park anyway. Explored the town and it was ok. Purchased the obligatory :beerchug: to take back. Chose one from a more obscure place after a wee degust (y)
Then we went on an off piste route through some cracking villages and ended up in Brantome. You're right @FIDGET its a cracking place. We're here for 2 nights on the aire. Easy walk along the river into town and €6.50 a night which can't be bad!
Only problem I'm having is filling the gaslow. We e tried it twice now and each time it only seems to fill the second (reserve) tank and then blows before the first tank fills. I guess I'm doing something wrong but can't figure out what. We're getting by with what we have but it's becoming a pain. Any suggestions gratefully received.
Today's pic is from Brantome (y)

OP
OP
Baileysbus

Baileysbus

Free Member
Aug 2, 2016
Fife
Funster No
Exp
Start of 2016
:):)IMG_2260.JPG Another day in Brantome and very relaxing indeed. Sun not exactly cracking the pavements but it's dry and we wandered round the town, did a spot of gift buying and went on the boat trip.

Later on after the obligatory ice cream, I spotted these parked up. We've seen the odd 2cv with original owners and even a simca too and while I'm not a biker by any means, I can appreciate a well designed, engineered bike like the Indian we saw in amongst others today

IMG_2265.JPG
Off to Uzerche, treignac and Eymoutiers tomorrow (y)
The adventure continues :)

OP
OP
Baileysbus

Baileysbus

Free Member
Aug 2, 2016
Fife
Funster No
Exp
Start of 2016
Well much as I enjoyed Brantome we're now about 85km east and that has to have been one of the most picturesque runs I've done in years. Absolutely stunning! We're now at an ACSI campsite by the Lac du Barriuoses. €14 a night and we're the only ones here (y) Showers, laundry facilities AND a heated covered pool :)
Just wonderful. Loving this trip (y)
IMG_2280.JPG

May 7, 2011
Cornwall Gorran Haven
Funster No
MH
T Line 785
Exp
motorhoming since 1979
Hi, c/site sounds great , was that acsi price or just standard , as might pout that one in for september trip ,
Not sure which way you are heading but really nice aire (lakeside) at Villerest over by Roanne recommend by Jenben ,also canal/boatyard side aire at Roanne by Mikescuba

Last edited:
OP
OP
Baileysbus

Baileysbus

Free Member
Aug 2, 2016
Fife
Funster No
Exp
Start of 2016
Hi, c/site sounds great , was that acsi price or just standard , as might pout that one in for september trip ,
Not sure which way you are heading but really nice aire (lakeside) at Villerest over by Roanne recommend by Jenben ,also canal/boatyard side aire at Roanne by Mikescuba
Hi @FIDGET That was the ACSI price. I figured that having shelled out for the ACSI book, I'd best try out a few sites on the trip. This one is really well equipped and just up from lakeside so a short walk to it. Shop on site too selling basics and some local products and you can order bread too.

Thanks for the hint on Roanne. I'll look it up and suss the area out. We've actually no fixed route from here out other than wanting to get up to the Loire next week. Currently planning round Lac de Vassiviere tomorrow and maybe staying in that area then want to go see oradour sur glane but other than that, no fixed plans for this week (y)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back