Were Jim and grommet wrong?

Discussion in 'Computers' started by haganap, Aug 1, 2014.

1. haganap

haganap Funster Life Member

I had my reservations about the new allegedly improved web site, to be honest I don't like it, I found it difficult and after many years using the old site much preferred the old site. I note after less than 24 hours people were already saying it wasn't as good etc etc but I thought I would reserve judgement until I could get used to it. So it's been a while now and I still don't /didn't like it until tonight.

Tonight I realised that if you go in to quick links you can quickly see the forum in the old style, which suits me far better.....
    So it's ticking along once, I miss the thanks button, but like the old style options ...

You ?

• Like Like x 3
  2. DuxDeluxe

DuxDeluxe Funster Life Member

A big improvement..... and let's not forget that one of the prime reasons for changing was security. Different, certainly, but very easy to use. Miss the daily mail smiley if only to wind Shifty up......... (y)

• Like Like x 2
  3. PP Bear

PP Bear Funster Life Member

Getting used to it more now. I know it's still work in progress, so it'll improve as time ticks by, let's be patient and see the full final version and then slate it to death - joking :rofl:

I'm getting more used to it now. It's like anything else, the more you use it, the more familiar it becomes.

I do however miss the vibrant blue and orange/gold of old. It's what caught my eye when I first found it on Google.

Still, it's onwards and upwards :clap:

• Like Like x 1
  4. irnbru

irnbru Funster Life Member

So much easier to navigate once you get used to it. Is it maybe fear of the unknown with some?

• Like Like x 3
  5. TheBig1

TheBig1 Funster Life Member

i hate change for the sake of it, but realise that the move to new software was essential and overdue for a number of reasons. this software is very much quicker and easier to navigate in my view

miss the thanks button but everything else is slowly building up nicely

i use the recent posts link as my homepage for the forum

• Like Like x 1
  6. Forestboy

Forestboy Funster Life Member

Think it's as great improvement, just tried old forum style :whistle: no thanks the new ones better. The recent post page is all I need and loading media is a doddle.
    Would I wanna go back, no way.
    Only thing I miss is the Thanks button.(y)

• Like Like x 2
  7. RS_rob

RS_rob Funster

its got instant pop ups like facebook (y)

• Like Like x 1
  8. Jim

Jim Ringleader

I still have the old site working and I have to visit it most days. I hate going there and can't believe how clunky it feels, especially on a tablet. I too missed the old set up at first which is why I set up the old forum style page, but to be honest I've gotten used to just keep hitting the top left Recent Post tab Recent posts means a lot less scrolling to the three sections, and now I've set it to show 35 posts a page I don't miss as much.

Still loads to set up and some good stuff to unveil soon. Its been 5 weeks of 18 hour days doing pretty much nothing else but work on it, No one likes change, and I could have certainly done without the work, but I'm pleased with the way it's panning out and becoming very usable on all platforms :)

• Like Like x 10
  9. RS_rob

RS_rob Funster

I just use the refresh button in the browser & like you say jim its eisier on Tablet & Mobile (y)

• Like Like x 1
  10. ourcampersbeentrashed

ourcampersbeentrashed Funster

You need a change management course Paul :):):):):):)

Many people are very resistant to change which is quite normal.

I visited the link to the old site once and never again.

I love the new site but
    I hate
    the fact it doesnt have the games - I really miss the old games
    they were my stress relief

I hate
    the word conversation - I much preferred PM or private message

I hated
    Shoutbox - I originally thought that was the place to put rants - not chat but the names been been changed

I hated how complicated it seemed to start off with - but Im getting used to it and enjoying it

I really really hate when the headings change position just as I get used to them, but eventually they will all have a permanent resting place.

I love the way that those who find navigating the site easy come to the rescue of those who dont

and Yes the Thank You button is on my wish list BUT...... they are two small words easy to type and easy to say but rarely typed or sincerely spoken.

Jim and Karl put a lot of work into the new site and took a massive risk - I believe they did FUN PROUD (y)(y)

edit - and to answer your question - No I dont think they were wrong

• Like Like x 1
  11. BreweryDave

BreweryDave Funster Life Member

Quite like it now.
    Could do with a button to get straight back to the top of a page of posts instead of having to scroll back up.
    Good work chaps!

• Like Like x 5
  12. TheBig1

that would be a great addition. much like the hovering button on ebay to jump straight to the top of the page. unobtrusive and very very useful

• Like Like x 1
  13. TheBig1

just noticed the word TOP at the bottom right of each page, an that does the same job, but you need to scroll to the bottom of the page to get to it

14. Soozywoozy

Soozywoozy Funster

If you are on an ipad you can straight to top at any time by "hitting" the small black space at the top of the window - above subject, above status bar, above time. This works in any web site, not just motorhome fun

• Like Like x 4
  15. CHRI$

CHRI$ Funster

i have noticed,the new site never loads completely.

16. Chris

Chris Funster Life Member

I prefer it now.

In fact I have forgotten what I liked about the old site. I agree with Jim that the more posts per page feature is one of the better things about the new software .

It will come into it's own when the rugby World Cup is underway. 35 posts per page of bleating:D

• Like Like x 1
  17. ukbill

ukbill Funster

gettin more used to it each day no matter what the format is so long as i can annoy people all is good in the world
    thanks paul for the quick link advice :)

• Like Like x 3
  18. Janine

Janine Funster Life Member

I love it!

It's much clearer, cleaner and faster. The thread titles take you to the last read post rather than top of the page. 'Recent posts' is much more user-friendly.

Best of all? No adverts! I don't know now why not but it saves me clicking on things I don't need when I'm trying to scroll down/up the page (y)

19. Chris

Chris Funster Life Member

if I had one criticism Jim it's where the "alerts" button is. Just above it is an advert ( Dave Newell today) and I find that on a tablet with big fingers I am opening the ad rather than pressing the alert button.

That is probably a tablet thing though

• Like Like x 1
  20. Jim

Jim Ringleader

That's the first thing we ported over. Just type : dm : without the spaces :)

:dm:

• Like Like x 1