Welsh Road Signs (1 Viewer)

Dec 12, 2010
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 2011
Just to sort of chuck another spanner in..
Canada has been using both french and English on their signs for yonks.. Really cannot remember when it happened but in the words of Judge Dredd 'Its the law'

The Canucks take it to extremes though, KFC in Quebec is known as PFK ( Poule Frite Kentucky ) it's not even called that in Paris !

Jun 30, 2010
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
1992 VW Auto sleeper Mono
Exp
Since 2005 this time
The NHS in Wales (part of the UNITED KINGDOM!) is in crisis!

Perhaps! Just Perhaps! the money spent on these Bilingual things would by more effectively spent on things that matter?

War Criminal Blair has so! so! much to answer for!

At 74! too late to be P C ! OR! even want to be!

Reactions: GJH

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
It's peanuts really compared to what goes on in the EU where there are umpteen languages for everything to be translated into.

Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
If I could put my twopenneth in, I dont have an issue with Welsh on signs, it Wales and they are entitled to be proud of their language, I dont agree with wasting money however (Yorkshire man crossed with a Scot)::bigsmile:
My gripe is the waste of time in teaching French in schools in England!! Nice to have a bit if you visit I suppose, but would Spanish not be a more Universally useful second language to have? as a compulsory subject that is, then if you choose to learn another language as you grow older then it is down to you. Just my thoughts!!:happy:
One consequence of the fight to preserve the Welsh is this.

Our granddaughter is very good at languages, to the point that she wished to study French AND Spanish at school with a view to getting a job utilising those skills.

At her school, like most in Wales, Welsh is a compulsory part of the curriculum. Consequently she had to make a choice between French and Spanish as they only allow two languages to be learned, (counting Welsh as one).

She is now continuing with Spanish in school and taking private lessons to improve her French, at her parents expense of course.

Incidentally, both her parents speak Welsh but disagree with the language policy. In the wider world Welsh is not a lot of use. If people wish to learn the language good for them but compulsion is not the way.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Goshawk

Free Member
Mar 2, 2014
West Wales
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
maison i agree, in addition anyone wanting to further education, no University teaches in Welsh

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
But if it's Nation Wide maybe the Welsh speakers like that option, or should the Welsh speakers not be allowed to access it, or go to even more expense and have two units English and Welsh, or just keep the simple option of which number to choose in the automatic selection choice .:Smile:

Maybe they should also add Gaelic as many of the Highlanders speak Gaelic as their first language.

maison i agree, in addition anyone wanting to further education, no University teaches in Welsh

But UHI does teach some courses in Gaelic!

I don't speak it although my ancestors did. It was never spoken in the whole of Scotland and yet bi-lingual road signs are creeping south into areas where the local language is Scots (as written by Burns).

Carol

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2007
North Wales.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
18 years s Motorhome (33years caravans)
Maybe they should also add Gaelic as many of the Highlanders speak Gaelic as their first language.

But UHI does teach some courses in Gaelic

I don't speak it although my ancestors did. It was never spoken in the whole of Scotland and yet bi-lingual road signs are creeping south into areas where the local language is Scots (as written by Burns).

No Problem with that, if that's the what is wanted by the local people, if it helps to keep the history alive. When we travel in the Motorhome wether it be in Greece or Morocco we embrace the different cultures and accept that it's there country and their rules and ways. :Smile:

Mousy

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 13, 2013
Sa15 2DG
Funster No
MH
Hymer S840 Merc auto
Exp
Since 2013
Aberystwyth does, it also has university halls for welsh speakers (which are at least 1k cheaper per year than the other halls).

Bertie Bassett

Free Member
Jul 25, 2014
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 1988
At the entrance to my town of birth there are massive road signs which tell us in huge letters:-

MERTHYR TYDFIL
AND UNDERNEATH (for the real Welsh people amongst us)
MERTHYR TUDFUL

There are many roads in to Merthyr and each of them has one of these signs and a host of other uninteresting and unnecessary signs put up by PC evangelists.
This is PC bureaucracy gone mad, this is language vandalism and this is no help to the Welsh Language or the Welsh people.
More importantly this is a waste of scarce resources in a town which has lost tens of thousands of jobs since the sixties. Pathetic!

PS. I don't normally admit to being a son of Merthyr but I know you won't tell anybody!

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
MERTHYR TYDFIL
AND UNDERNEATH (for the real Welsh people amongst us)
MERTHYR TUDFUL

PS. I don't normally admit to being a son of Merthyr but I know you won't tell anybody!

My Great-Pa Jones was a Dowlais boy. Nothing wrong with people from Merthyr boyo.

Bertie Bassett

Free Member
Jul 25, 2014
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 1988
My Great-Pa Jones was a Dowlais boy. Nothing wrong with people from Merthyr boyo.

Yes Victoria Street, Dowlais was my street right by the Ivor Works apart from the four lines of railway track that is(y)
Going back to Pant Cemetery to put flowers on the family graves and seeing what it's all become...............very sad. Our forebears would be stunned at the change!

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
I don't know anything about my Jones heritage.

The census indicates that Arthur Jones came from Dowlais but that assumes the truth was told. Mum says he used to talk about when he was a boy and when we traced the places he talked about it all seemed to fit with Dowlais Arthur. I know he had a sister Sarah and a brother John. John came to visit him when he lived near Manchester and as John came in at the front door Arthur left through the back and wouldn't talk to his brother. I often wonder if he had another family back in Wales. He did have an eye for the ladies, and the drink.

I wish I'd known more when we lived in Bridgend and I could have done some proper research.

Bertie Bassett

Free Member
Jul 25, 2014
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 1988
Dowlais was a thriving place when I grew up with zero unemployment and all the men earning good money. Dowlais pit and foundrymen put many of their sons through University at a time when there was little or no financial assistance. A town to be proud of...........now just drugs, extreme violence and aggravated theft.

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
I wish I could just like the first part.

Bertie Bassett

Free Member
Jul 25, 2014
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 1988
I wish I could just like the first part.

Two of my uncles both sons of foundrymen, long since passed away sadly, the one Bishop of Llandaff and the other the Director of Music in Wales with an MBE. Not bad for lads from the backstreets eh?(y)

Edit. And both Jones...................could be related!!!

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
But if it's Nation Wide maybe the Welsh speakers like that option, or should the Welsh speakers not be allowed to access it, or go to even more expense and have two units English and Welsh, or just keep the simple option of which number to choose in the automatic selection choice .:Smile:
Just supposing Carol this DVLA office had been housed in Edinburgh rather than C.....Swansea, would we still get the Welsh option, I doubt that. I also doubt we would have had a Scottish Gaelic option either. My tax office is in Scotland yet never been offered the Scottish Gaelic option.
Personally I think this and the road signs has more to do with using our funds to promote the Welsh language. Sorry just my view......[/QUOTE]

Last edited:

OllieUK

Free Member
Jun 23, 2013
Ramsgate
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr E520
Exp
Since 2009
Waste of public funds.
Totally uneccesary.
Ask a guy where he comes from, he will answer "Cardiff", not whatever the Welsh for Cardiff is.

Won't patronize the Welsh speakers by Googling it.

No need to google its simple

cardydd

mjltigger

Free Member
Nov 12, 2014
Trowbridge
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Dakota Max
Exp
A huge amount of tax payers money is used to promote cymraeg however it is not the Welsh language. The Welsh language is English.. cymraeg is still (just) a living language but only about 1 in 5 Welsh people claim to speak it and that number is declining.

Here's an interesting view

Broken Link Removed

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
It's peanuts really compared to what goes on in the EU where there are umpteen languages for everything to be translated into.
The EU doesn't get even close to some London boroughs.Haringey, Tower Hamlets ( Supplied in 36 languages & if one of them isn't yours let us know & we'll get a translator !! ),Hackney ,Newham Etc.:(:(

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back