Wells Next The Sea - Beach Cafe - Car Park (1 Viewer)

Apr 25, 2016
Soham, Cambs
Funster No
MH
Consort Oslo
Exp
Since 2016
Hi all, thinking of popping down to the coast this comming weekend.
Interested to know if anyone has used this carpark? And if so, is it MH friendly? ie, will a 7-5 metre MH get parked ok?
Thanks all

Feb 19, 2017
Leighton Buzzard
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Ten years
It's a great location, we have stayed at the campsite, I just have a feeling there might be a height restriction at the car park, I could be wrong. Another option would be the beach car park at Holkham, opp the Victoria inn.

Nov 2, 2008
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
PVC, S&L Iveco
Exp
45 years
Don't think there was any barrier last year.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
IMG_1164.PNG
IMG_1165.PNG
google earth street view, cannot see a height barrier and a MH parked.

Stagman

Free Member
Aug 19, 2015
North Essex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
3yrs
Theres no height restricton but they have wooden fencing along each row, meaning you cant overhang the rear of your van over grass and therefore you wont fit in a van that size - we are 7.2m

I didnt look at the sign this time as we parked at Holkham and walked to Wells but last time we looked i am pretty sure it said no motorhomes.

You used to be able to park down at the bottom away from the cafetowards the beach but we noticed extra rows of fencing this time.
You would be better to park at Holkham and walk there- its a nice 45min walk along the beach, through the woods or along a footpath the other side of the woods.

Jan 9, 2017
Luton
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato
Exp
I've only ever turned up by boat ( not much help) but I know they have clamped down on motorcycles

138go

Free Member
Feb 26, 2016
Funster No
MH
Carthago 138
Exp
Since 2001
Car Park is not MH overnight friendly. It's owned by the Holkham Estate and they employ staff to run it. You can park during the day without problems and there is a tap on the back of the toilet wall. We just park sideways as the machine does not say anything about having to buy extra tickets. Nice pub The Nelson at Burnham Thorpe that is MH friendly but they only have room for two MH's so it's advisable to book.

Last edited:
Apr 23, 2014
Naarfook
Funster No
MH
Rimor Katamarano
Exp
5 years
There is a new one opened up that will take larger moho 's, it's tucked away behind the kiddies play area and football pitch, but be careful it closes at 4pm at this time of year, 7pm from April. There are no barriers but I think it will be policed by wardens. It's run by Holkham estates. Hope this helps (y)

Feb 5, 2014
mid-Norfolk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
since 2006
Height at Wells shouldn't be a problem, nor parking sideways. HOWEVER, they are very hot on parking tickets: friends got caught for leaving their car for 10mins.

IF you just want peace and a "sea view", try East Quay

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/place...m4!1s0x0:0x0!8m2!3d52.956792!4d0.859248?hl=en

Parking is free until Easter, it's a very short stroll to the shops, pubs etc (and the amusements/kiddies play area if that floats your boat) but obviously much further to the beach.

If going to Burnhams, I think you will find The Nelson is at B Market. The Hero is a pub at Burnham Overy Staithe and I think that has camping out the back. B Thorpe is a small hamlet down narrow roads. HOWEVER, at Burnham Overy Staithe turn north into East Harbour Way (one way system) and it takes you to the Hard, (just before the Boathouse) where you can park foc BUT beware the state of the tide: it does flood! A longish walk out to the coast.

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/place...8369fd75ecfb!8m2!3d52.964707!4d0.744157?hl=en

Gordon

OP
OP
Nigel L
Apr 25, 2016
Soham, Cambs
Funster No
MH
Consort Oslo
Exp
Since 2016
Thanks Gordon, that's very useful.
Is it just parking on side of the road on East Quay, or is there some dedicated spaces along there's?
Thanks.

138go

Free Member
Feb 26, 2016
Funster No
MH
Carthago 138
Exp
Since 2001
Thanks Gordon, that's very useful.
Is it just parking on side of the road on East Quay, or is there some dedicated spaces along there's?
Thanks.

Dedicated spaces this is Norfolk. You have to go to Derbyshire, Cornwall or Devon for dedicated spaces. It's just parking at the side of the road. It's reasonably narrow in places especially as the LOCALS park there as well. They should be banned. One way so if you cannot get through you may have a problem. We have been down a couple of times but the boat owners and locals get there early especially if it's a nice day. There are lots of little places you can park you just have to hunt them out. We have even parked in the middle of Burnham Market but get there early as it gets very busy and crowded with TOURISTS ..

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@52.9...lQrhjhnpkM8QFOWHq5Uw!2e0!7i13312!8i6656?hl=en

Last edited:

Nik

Oct 29, 2014
Cornish exile in Surrey
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware
Exp
1 year
Hi
We parked in the car park shown in the pictures above, that @Riverbankannie put on, last year.
Our Mo Ho is just under 8 Metres. We parked over by the trees and didn't have any problems. If you look at the photos there is a MoHo in the pic in roughly the same area as we were in.
Good luck.
regards
Nik.

Jan 2, 2017
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Starspirit
Exp
7 years
There is a lovely walk in the pine trees from the car park and the beach huts are much photographed.

Nov 4, 2011
Uk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
There is a lovely walk in the pine trees from the car park and the beach huts are much photographed.
And those lovely beach hut are expensive, we saw one in a agents window with an asking price of £55000 :eek: so I think would give them a miss.
Nice walk though as you say.

Jan 2, 2017
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Starspirit
Exp
7 years
And those lovely beach hut are expensive, we saw one in a agents window with an asking price of £55000 :eek: so I think would give them a miss.
Nice walk though as you say.
Try Southwold they are the price of a house. I wish I'd bought several when we moved to north Norfolk 34 years ago, but then again I was only earning £4,500 pa.

Jun 17, 2012
North Essex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware
Exp
>12 but <13
I have parked (8 metres) several times in that car-park. If you get there early you can back in next to the steps to beach, diagonally opposite the entrance.
Or, even in peak time, Station Rd and 2 minute walk to town FREE !

No visit to Wells is complete without a visit to French's chip but prepare to queue !!

P1030513.JPG

Feb 5, 2014
mid-Norfolk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
since 2006
It's just parking at the side of the road. It's reasonably narrow in places especially as the LOCALS park there as well. They should be banned. One way so if you cannot get through you may have a problem. We have been down a couple of times but the boat owners and locals get there early especially if it's a nice day.

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@52.9...lQrhjhnpkM8QFOWHq5Uw!2e0!7i13312!8i6656?hl=en

Not one way, but a dead end. :rolleyes: It's always our first call when going to Wells "off season".
The road is narrow in one spot, between 2 houses, but only for a few yards. There is a good turning circle at the far end, next to the parking area.

As Larby says, Station Rd is free but restricted to 20mins, I think. Polka Rd has no such limits. Saturday is always popular with the enforcers! :)

Sadly, there are not many places on the Norfolk coast where you can sit in your van and look at the water. If you are NT members, Brancaster Staithe is good, but there is a nasty corner/bridge with a width restriction 'twixt Burnham Overy Staithe and Brancaster. The diversion takes you through Burnham Market.
Similarly, Blakeney has "free" parking and a reasonable few shops, but both are "riverside".

Gordon

Jun 17, 2012
North Essex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware
Exp
>12 but <13
Not one way, but a dead end. :rolleyes: It's always our first call when going to Wells "off season".
The road is narrow in one spot, between 2 houses, but only for a few yards. There is a good turning circle at the far end, next to the parking area.

As Larby says, Station Rd is free but restricted to 20mins, I think. Polka Rd has no such limits. Saturday is always popular with the enforcers! :)

Sadly, there are not many places on the Norfolk coast where you can sit in your van and look at the water. If you are NT members, Brancaster Staithe is good, but there is a nasty corner/bridge with a width restriction 'twixt Burnham Overy Staithe and Brancaster. The diversion takes you through Burnham Market.
Similarly, Blakeney has "free" parking and a reasonable few shops, but both are "riverside".

Gordon

I thought I knew where I meant, I didn't realise Station Rd wasn't by the old station !! :doh::doh:
Old station is on corner of Maryland and Polka Rd, park in Maryland ALL DAY FREE

wells.jpg

Last edited:

138go

Free Member
Feb 26, 2016
Funster No
MH
Carthago 138
Exp
Since 2001
we found north norfolk to be the worst place weve been for parking

It's because all the nice parking spaces are hidden from view :whistle: .. The locals know where they are. We have found some we didn't know about by talking to other MH's and locals in the pub.

AMK

Free Member
Feb 2, 2013
gainsborough
Funster No
MH
Coachbuild
Exp
Since 2014
Parked there last summer, no problems with 7.6 mts. Lovely walk through the trees to the beech huts.

Nov 6, 2013
S. Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
The usual
Exp
Since the beginning
Haven't been for a couple of years, but the local football club used to welcome motorhome parking - but no overnighting

JJ20

Free Member
Sep 19, 2016
UK
Funster No
MH
Exp
Since 2016
The new car park in Wells is brilliant for big MH's, I used it a couple of weeks ago, it's a really spacious car park and cheap too. 5 min walk to the fish n chip shop through a gate in the corner of the car park :)

Stagman

Free Member
Aug 19, 2015
North Essex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
3yrs
The new car park in Wells is brilliant for big MH's, I used it a couple of weeks ago, it's a really spacious car park and cheap too. 5 min walk to the fish n chip shop through a gate in the corner of the car park :)
So its on the edge of town rather than at the beach?

SteveFitz

Free Member
Jun 1, 2019
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Rapido 942
Exp
I’m a newbie and took our Rapido ( 7 plus) to Wells expecting not to be allowed onto the car park. Driving in saw this big guy come out of the office and expected to be turned out. He just said to park on an end next to the trees facing the office. We stuck out a couple of feet but not restricting other vehicles. I can see that parking on the end and facing out is easier to exit as it would be virtually impossible with a long van with cars either side. Cost for parking £4.50 for two hours £6.50 for four. Close to a great beach and a flat walk into Wells (20 - 25 mins) or take the miniature railway every fifteen mins, £1.50 each way. Good cafe and toilets.

SteveFitz

Free Member
Jun 1, 2019
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Rapido 942
Exp
Next to beach and lifeboat station. Short walk to beach huts. Note that wheelchairs can’t get onto the beach. Bit obvious but thought I’d mention it.

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
I usually park in Stearman's Yard Car park on opposite side & just up from Beach Road.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back