Well Today we went and got our Motorhome (1 Viewer)

Madmark62

Free Member
Sep 28, 2011
Wakefield West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Winnebago Lesharo
Exp
I`m a newbie
But never arrived homw with her!
Just like JayKay we too broke down on the way home.
We bought her in Devon, 2 weeks ago, she is a Winnebago LeSharo, based on a Renault Trafic , 2 lt turbo diesel engine. Well the bloody fuel pump decided to pack in on the M5. No problem we thought, we took out the breakdown cover when we bought the insurance.
Wrong! Well , yes we did take out the breakdown, but because we did not need to bring the van home till today, I did not start the Insurance till12 midnight this morning, well the breakdown cover does not start until 24 hrs after the insurance policy starts, but when I asked about the insurance and made sure it was in place for this morning , I was told that because the insurance was already paid for, the breakdown cover would be valid from 24hrs after the payment, wrong it is 24 hrs after the policy start!
So we ended up stuck on the hard shoulder for 4 blooming hours while the breakdown and the insurance people argued.
Up shot was we ended up having to pay £145:Eeek: to be towed off the M5 and to a local garage, we were offered a tow home by the breakdown company, cost of this?

Yep £597 approximate.:cry::cry: from Gloucester to Wakefield!
Needless to say we declined, it was a good job we went down in my Peugeot 206 HDI and my other half was following me back home, at least we were able to get home, looks like another trip down to Gloucester next week to pick her up again.
Never mind these things are sent to try us and the nearly bloody beat me today, but I will file it under, SHIT HAPPENS!!
I suppose the moral of my tale of woe and stupidity is, NEVER BELIEVE A WORD AN INSURANCE MAN TELLS YOU and always double, the triple check what you are getting.

Oh by the way I know the Lesharo has had a lot of bad press over the years but my brother in law has had one for 15 years and loves it, I wonder if he will fancy a swap

Last edited:

peter marshall

Free Member
Mar 5, 2009
Cleveleys,Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Low Line
Exp
9 Years
We bought her in Devon, 2 weeks ago, she is a Winnebago LeSharo, based on a Renault Trafic , 2 lt turbo diesel engine. Well the bloody fuel pump decided to pack in on the M5. No problem we thought, we took out the breakdown cover when we bought the insurance.
Wrong! Well , yes we did take out the breakdown, but because we did not need to bring the van home till today, I did not start the Insurance till12 midnight this morning, well the breakdown cover does not start until 24 hrs after the insurance policy starts, but when I asked about the insurance and made sure it was in place for this morning , I was told that because the insurance was already paid for, the breakdown cover would be valid from 24hrs after the payment, wrong it is 24 hrs after the policy start!
So we ended up stuck on the hard shoulder for 4 blooming hours while the breakdown and the insurance people argued.
Up shot was we ended up having to pay £145:Eeek: to be towed off the M5 and to a local garage, we were offered a tow home by the breakdown company, cost of this?

Needless to say we declined, it was a good job we went down in my Peugeot 206 HDI and my other half was following me back home, at least we were able to get home, looks like another trip down to Gloucester next week to pick her up again.
Never mind these things are sent to try us and the nearly bloody beat me today, but I will file it under, SHIT HAPPENS!!
I suppose the moral of my tale of woe and stupidity is, NEVER BELIEVE A WORD AN INSURANCE MAN TELLS YOU and always double, the triple check what you are getting.

Oh by the wqay I know the Lesharo has had a lot of bad press over the years but my brother in law has had one for 15 years and loves it, I wonder if he will fancy a swap

It can only get better keep the faith. Pete :thumb::thumb:

freelanderuk

Free Member
Sep 24, 2009
Saltfleet/Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
my freind took his self build out for the first time and broke down due to fuel pump problems , he had some tools and had a tinker and managed to get going again , after this happening about 4 time i told him i thought it could be a problem with the fuel pick up pipe , he removed the tank and got a half bucket full of chip scraps and other bits out of the tank where the previous owner had been running on recycled oil:roflmto:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
Madmark62, sorry to hear that like JayKay, your first "on road" experience with your new purchase didn't go too well. :whatthe: I hope you are able to get your MH repaired without it costing you a bomb.

Best regards,

Jock.

(Morning Chris)

Heyupluv

Free Member
Oct 7, 2008
France,
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
touring many years..42+
Pete here is a linK....The Winnebago LeSharo Motorhome..and down the page under engine/mechanical is some info on fuel pumps...may be of interest may not.

http://www.lesharo.co.uk/

Good luck:thumb:....Mel

estcres

Free Member
Oct 9, 2007
Sunny Bournemouth
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since 2005
Look on the Bright side,

The trip to Gloucester from Wakefield is only 2/3rds the mileage to Devon. Make a weekend of it and have a look around Gloucester City, it's lovely,

old-mo

Funster
Extra Special
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp
Caravan & motorhome 45 + yrs
If you are looking for some one to fix it...

Motorhome Medics are 5 mins from the motorway near Briarsfield campsite and motel.. :thumb:

Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
Since 2009 with motorhomes several caravans then tents before that.
Onwards and upwards.
These things are sent to try us and all that....
Shame you couldn't have stayed down there until the insurance kicked in 24 hours later. Could have saved you a bob or ten.
Once youve got it sorted you will laugh about it later , honest :thumb:

Gran & Rog

Free Member
Apr 17, 2011
Lofthouse, Wakefield
Funster No
MH
Caravan
Exp
Eight years
sorry to hear of your troubles, these things come to try us, we know we wear the t shirts lol.

good luck

Sep 10, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
Laika Ecovip 309
Exp
since 2011 but years in a caravan

Oh by the way I know the Lesharo has had a lot of bad press over the years but my brother in law has had one for 15 years and loves it, I wonder if he will fancy a swap

Thanks for the heads up Mark with the brake down cover we will be picking up our first motor home in a few weeks and have had a good quote from Safeguard that includes brake down insurance with the AA but will make sure I’m covered now for the day we pick it up

Oct 1, 2007
Kirby cross further from londin
Funster No
MH
Between Motor homes
Exp
since 08
Thanks for the heads up Mark with the brake down cover we will be picking up our first motor home in a few weeks and have had a good quote from Safeguard that includes brake down insurance with the AA but will make sure I’m covered now for the day we pick it up

Feeling miffed for you
Mine didnt break down till we had been out a few times
It had a hissy fit and destroyed the engine
YEs cam belt had been changed

:thumb:

Make sure it covers your size of vehickle as well
Some stop cover at 3500 kg
As they sing things can only get betterer
:thumb:

callumwa

Free Member
Jan 16, 2011
Tyne & Wear, sometimes..
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
4 yrs +, 30+ yrs motorbike touring
Sorry to hear about your problems......

The only way is up...........:thumb:

All the best and here's to some great times in the future:thumb::thumb:

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
I'm so sorry to hear you've had this very frustrating and expensive experience. I'd certainly be writing a very strong letter to the insurance company who sold you the breakdown cover for not telling you it wouldn't be valid - you might also like to have a look through any paperwork they sent you just to be safe - although I guess you wouldn't have received it BEFORE you set off anyway - if it doesn't state that the breakdown will start 24 hours later then I think you have a good case against them.

You've found out the hard way that it is normal practice for breakdown cover not to start for 24 hours, this is to prevent people breaking down and then ringing up to join only when they need it.

They also get a bit miffed if you breakdown too often - a friend of ours had a classic car which was forever breaking down, his record was I think 6 times in one year, at this point they told him in a roundabout way not to ring again during that policy year ... you can't blame them as it was mainly due to his own lack of care and attention that his car kept breaking down ... and I think they suspected that he was also trying to 'save' the fuel back home on long trips! :Eeek:

jaykay

Free Member
Aug 19, 2011
North Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 997M Auto
Exp
Virtually none ! :)
Well, I dont feel so bad now ! :cry:

At least our breakdown cover was in place, were with greenflag via the caravan club and its personal cover so covers any vehicle and trailer etc that we are travelling in. All for £90 for me and the wife. We have always renewed this since we joined when we had a caravan a few years ago. It has come to my rescue on a number of occasions. Well recommended.

I have found a lot of jobs to do on our new motorhome, but none too costly so far.

Good luck with yours.

OP
OP
Madmark62

Madmark62

Free Member
Sep 28, 2011
Wakefield West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Winnebago Lesharo
Exp
I`m a newbie
Thanks everyone for all the nice words.
I know it was a shitty start but I am certain things can only get better(fingers crossed).

darklord

Free Member
Apr 28, 2011
essex
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
three years
Its a sad fact, that you only find out certain things about breakdown cover, when you need it;

Some start 24 hrs after you take them out
Some start 48 hours after you take them out
Some do not take your LENGTH of vehicle
Some do not take your WEIGHT of vehicle
Some do not take your AGE of vehicle
Some have "cost" limits per breakdown
Some employ mechanics, some employ franchisee's who could have been a milkman last week.
Some will employ reciovery professionals, some will employ idiots who will rip the arze end of your motor off trying to get it on a flatbed.

The one thing they have in common, is they ALL have smallprint:Eeek:

You NEED breakdown cover, if you breakdown on amotorway without it, the police/highways agency will call a rota agent to remove you, minimum cost £150 JUST to get you off the m-way. Most of the breakdown cover sold or "free" with insurance policy's only gives an initial patrol visit, and a ten mile tow (handy for off the motorway), the rest yiou will pay for IN ADVANCE.

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
It's another sad fact that when you talk to people they tell you a load of tosh :Eeek: like yes you are covered for that weight/length and it makes no difference if you are a member because you are a member when you took it out :Doh::Eeek: All of these relevant questions I recently asked and was told I was covered :thumb: then after a Q &A answer from Geo I again asked only to be told the same " I was covered " it was only when I asked for it IN WRITING :thumb: that it transpired I was not :Eeek::Angry::Angry: They would have taken my money lulling me into thinking I was covered only for me to find out when I would have needed them I would not be covered :Doh: REMEMBER NOTHING CAN BE SAID THAT CANNOT BE WRITTEN GET IT IN WRITING
terry

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back