Well this has got to be different, and a challenge (1 Viewer)

Dec 8, 2016
Bolton
Funster No
MH
coach Built
Exp
we are newbies
Hi

Well after over 30 years of touring Europe by motorcycle I am making a big (long and wide change)
We have friends who have owned motorhomes and over the years my attitude has changed from too big too slow not exiting via I would miss the fast alpine bends to wow look at that motorhome sat by the lake nice view looks comfy.

We spent about three years looking at motorhomes and after each research trip fell more in love with the idea until we did it last week, we bought a used Burstner. I had to explain to the bike that it's not you it's me and we can still be friends and go out occasionally.

And in many ways I think the motorhome community will be like the motorcycle touring community doing the thing they enjoy and sharing/helping others to do the same.

I certainly hope so as Fiona and I realise how green we are and would be grateful for any advice

Geoff

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Welcome! There are quite a few on here who take their m/c with them, either in the garage, if they have one or on a trailer or rack - you might have to downsize though.
:xsmile:

Cal54

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 25, 2014
Southport, UK
Funster No
MH
Leisuredrive Renoir
Exp
Since 1996
Hi and welcome from another northerner!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Hiya ... welcome to the fun house!

You've got the right attitude already so you'll fit in very well ... and I'm sure your bike will be happy to get out every now and again and have a nice long rest in between (probably waving you off and saying "thank goodness, now I can hibernate!").

Don't be afraid to ask what may seems the daftest questions ... we do daft very well on here!

Oh and be prepared for the nutty replies and leg-pulling that goes on, on this forum ... it's like one big family where siblings occasionally have a bit of a spat but mostly like each other and really enjoy teasing!

Mel

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Oh, forgot to ask ... what model have you got? We're nosey too .... :X3:

Jan 8, 2013
Dronfield - Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 690G
Exp
Happy FLT since 2011
I'm also a Burstner -Biker, we seem to have had the same history.
We had to pack up with bike touring when my wife developed a leg complained and stopped her getting on, over the paniers.
Thought we would try MH's and love it. It still gives you the independence although a bit slower!

Best of both worlds now - at the ManxGp and the RD 350 is plenty fast enough for us two now.

DSC00442.JPG

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Hi
Well after over 30 years of touring Europe by motorcycle I am making a big (long and wide change)
Geoff

Many of us in here have done just that. Most keep the bike and if you choose the right MH fasten it on the back or get a lighter one just for the MH. I think carrying a load of luggage into a hotel every night is a big incentive. Getting soaked another one.

Your mind alters in a MH, from filter to the front of the queue to plod along, enjoy the views and save fuel.

Last year I did two EU trips with FUNsters by bike, the need never goes away.

Duck Truck

Free Member
Feb 27, 2015
UP North
Funster No
MH
Hobby 725
Exp
since 2012
Hi guys
as the odd one out here
I fell off a bike and said sod it.

However I fell into a camper and said WONDERFUL!!!!

Welcome guys it's a friendly site and everyone started out knowing nowt
and some of us still do.

OP
OP
G
Dec 8, 2016
Bolton
Funster No
MH
coach Built
Exp
we are newbies
Thank you for such a warm welcome, I will be looking for a bike small enough to fit into the garage but that can wait until nearer the summer, plenty of other stuff to get my head round before that.
Not having to do 250 miles in the rain is something I definitely will not miss

OP
OP
G
Dec 8, 2016
Bolton
Funster No
MH
coach Built
Exp
we are newbies
The Motorhome is a Burstner Ixeo 726G
Fiona did most of the research, we ended up buying a completely different Van/spec than we started out looking at, and spent much more than the budget. There always one that's a little bit nicer or has a better spec than the last.

WynandJean

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 23, 2010
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 682
Exp
Since 2010
Hello and welcome from West Midlands.

.... p.s. To get the most from the forum you will need to subscribe. It's well worth £15 and will allow you to continue posting as well as letting you into areas that non members can't access.

Wyn

CWH

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 29, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
WildAx PVC
Exp
From November 2013
Hello and welcome to the Fun
upload_2016-12-8_13-38-40.png

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Not having to do 250 miles in the rain is something I definitely will not miss

Oh yes. I remember a family holiday to France, we treated our daughter and gave her my car to use. We biked it as we usually did but the crunch was mid Pyrenees, we pulled into a service aire like drowned rats, went inside, people looked at us astonished we dared to enter in that state and there was daughter and family, shirt sleeves, enjoying a meal. A bit of a low moment.

And we bought the MH as a result of "why don't we do UK this year", rode to Loch Ness, got frozen and drowned without falling in the loch and started the hunt as soon as we returned, buying a Burstner. We returned to Scotland in MH about a month later and really enjoyed it in the sunshine.

Forestboy

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Forest of Dean
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer B694 tag
Exp
Hi and Welcome
Another biker here, still ride everyday only got 2 bikes at the moment BMW S1000XR and Honda SH300i which I carry in the garage of the van. Take the bike everywhere with us makes the absolute best of both worlds the comfort of the van and the freedom of a bike. Up until 9 months ago we carried a Kawasaki 650 Versys in the van but at 63 it got a bit heavy to get in and out hence the Honda.
Bikes go well with motorhomes so no need to give it up just look for something that works with your van thousands of folks are doing it.:xgrin:
Enjoy:xThumb:

Anthea M

Free Member
Deceased RIP
Oct 18, 2015
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Hobby
Exp
Since 2009
Hello and welcome . A lovely van you have , enjoy your new adventures!

RowleyBirkinQC

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 20, 2014
Dazed & Confused
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2007
Greetings,

Another year round biker here. We recently bought an Easylifter Hydra Trail (from Zac on this forum) to cart a bike around with us when away. Domestic Management was no longer interested in or using her Kawasaki ER6F, so we traded it for a new Vespa GTS 300 which she loves (my KTM 1290SA is a bit too heavy for the Hydrtatrail and madam's legs are way too short for it). The Vespa gives us a lighter vehicle to tow and the flexibility of us both being able to ride it or go pillion with good storage space (wine, beer, riding gear, more wine, take away, more beer etc).

Enjoy your new toy!

Apr 28, 2013
Alentejo,Portugal
Funster No
MH
Hymer A Class
Exp
Since the '80,s
Hi and another big :welcome3:from a year round biker.
I have recently bought a 3 biketrailer somuch better to manouvre than a single bike one,especially reversing.I don't have a garage but needed to take a big bike as we are both heavy buggers!,

Oct 1, 2013
Lanzarote
Funster No
MH
Nil by mouth
Exp
Lots
Hi and another big :welcome3:from a year round biker.
I have recently bought a 3 biketrailer somuch better to manouvre than a single bike one,especially reversing.I don't have a garage but needed to take a big bike as we are both heavy buggers!,
You weigh twice what the boss weighs ;)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back