Well, there goes the awning!

Discussion in 'Continental Touring' started by Teasy2007, Feb 10, 2014.

1. Teasy2007

Teasy2007 Funster

The wind in La Manga has destroyed our Kampa 390XL awning!

Estimated at 115km the wind finally won at 1.00 this morning. Michael was trying to get it down, I was holding on to the awning for dear life - in my nighty, but we eventually realised there was no saving it and we had to cut it off in order to protect the motorhome. Luckily there were others trying to protect their awnings and we had help getting it off and thankfully no damage has been done to the Hobby.

Michael has just taken the 1st half to the bins. Many awnings have been damaged here, we have had three Kampa owners taking our bent poles etc etc in order to try to repair their awnings.

Other awning are destroyed and one 'lucky' camper had a large tree branch fall between his motorhome and his stand alone awning, with no significant damage.

People who have been coming here for years have never known weather like it. Some are even planning to go home early, though I think that's extreme, given the state of the weather at home!

We have been told that 4 people have been killed in Benidorm with roofs collapsing and there is damage in Madrid.

What on earth is happening!

Ginny

2. Wyaye wires

Wyaye wires

Sorry to hear of your travails. :Sad:
    What is happening is that the jet stream is a lot lower down than usual for this time of year resulting in the kind of weather that is usual for the far north at this time of year being much further South.
    The upside is that we may get a cracking Summer. It might help to dry us out. :Blush:

• Like Like x 3
  3. grasscutter

grasscutter Funster Life Member

Had a couple of gusts on Villasol in Benidorm this morning but nothing like the OP experienced.

4. Spottycatz

Spottycatz Read Only Funster

Don't think my awning would have survived today though Graham:Eek!:

• Like Like x 2
  5. Brisey

Brisey Funster Life Member

Hi Ginny and Mike, sorry to hear about your awning. As Grasscutter has said in his post it was a bit blustery here in Benidorm this morning but nothing like that which you have experienced. In fact as we were walking home at about 1:30 am this morning all was calm and still. Walking around the campsite here at Villasol this morning all seems to be well with no apparent damage.

Brisey.

• Like Like x 2
  6. Jim

Jim Ringleader

Sorry to hear that Ginny, check your insurance policy, sometimes awnings are covered:thumb:

7. pappajohn

pappajohn Funster Life Member

a few members on RVOC are in the same situation....and they are dotted all around Spain.
    One or two others have lost their awnings as well.

8. Teasy2007

Teasy2007 Funster

I think we are in the wrong place again! the weather in La Manga has been VERY changeable, not a lot of rain, but windy nearly every day and lots of cloudy days. Not exactly what we hoped for, or expected.

We were in the middle of trying to sort everything out when the rally marshal came round to check on us, I might have misheard him say Benidorm instead of Barcelona, we were very busy at that moment. If it is bad here I wonder what it is like in Marjal?

The wind has started gusting very strongly again, the motorhome is bouncing all over the place, it is very similar to trying to sleep on the Santander Ferry!!!

Thanks for all your comments.

Ginny

9. Larrynwin

Larrynwin Funster

We are at Catral Marjal and I got up at three this morning to put my awning up , it's still blowing a hooly here :Eeek:

10. bobandjanie

bobandjanie Funster Life Member

Sorry to hear about the awning Ginny, and glad the new van survived, we have a isabella porch awning on the caravan and it seems fairly good. :Smile:

It may not be as windy here, :Wink: as the washing is still on the line. :Rofl1: Bob.

11. Rayb182

Rayb182 Funster Life Member

We had the winds that shook the van with sidewards rain, we also had a thunderstorm in the early hours of this morning, but it was quite warm with it all, now we have wall to wall sunshine, :thumb::thumb:

12. Ambilkate

Ambilkate Funster Life Member

Sorry to hear about you loosing the awning. Hope you and Mike ok. Love from us three:thumb::thumb::thumb:

13. billkce

billkce Funster

We had serious wind & rain at Cabopino, nr Marbella on Xmas Eve & many vans/caravans lost their awnings. (see piccie) Lots of big branches blown down.

Since then it been fine & warm, until yesterday when rain & wind up to 40mph struck. But no significant damage.

Today sunny warm & calm.

And set fair for the next 2 weeks. :Cool:

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
  14. peterc10

peterc10 Funster

Not sure what you mean by lower down, but it is further north and faster than usual this year. That is why the UK is getting more low pressure systems, producing wetter but warmer weather.

15. keith

keith Funster

A bit rough down your end of the site then Ray. At 1.30 I got up (for the regulation pee) and it was very clear with loads of stars and no wind at all, just 50 yards away from you. :Eeek:

16. Tootles

Tootles Funster

Really sorry to hear about the damage....:cry:

HOWEVER, there is always a bright side.......(If you will forgive me seeing it).

:Smile::Smile::Smile::Smile:

• Like Like x 5
  17. MikeandCarolyn

MikeandCarolyn Read Only Funster

Oh dear,last winter at Marjal we only had 90kph and our 2nd hand cheapo awning ended up in skip-but that was partially planned as we intended to buy a Kampa because they seemed to be standing up to the weather :BigGrin:.

Glad to hear you're both ok and no damage to the van-hopefully see you later in year. After we've moved :BigGrin:

Mike.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Ed Excel

Ed Excel Funster

We were at Marjal last year during the strong winds. Our drive away awning survived two days of serious blowing, whilst it was stood on its own, but succumbed to the onslaught when we attached it to the van; the link ripped. I hadn't really expected that to happen, I was ready for it setting off down the site. Bought a tent this year, for storage, that's designed for use up mountains. It's been ok during the 55mph gusts we've had today in Pilar.

• Like Like x 1
  19. Minxy Girl

Minxy Girl Funster Life Member

I'm really sorry you've lost your awning, but what I don't understand is why you didn't take it down before? With all the bad weather that's happening all over the place I'd certainly be keeping an eye on the forecast to ensure that I would be prepared and hopefully be able to do something to reduce the chance of any damage.

Was this bad weather predicted or was it just something that happened totally unexpectedly? :Smile:

• Like Like x 1
  20. Teasy2007

Teasy2007 Funster

We have never known winds as strong all the time we have been away in the Motorhome. It came on so quickly we could not decide whether to take the awning down and risk it blowing all the poles etc onto the side of the motorhome, or to let it stand. In the end the poles snapped and it started whipping, the upright tore through the roof and we ended up cutting it off to save any damage to the Hobby.

Me in my nighty with Michael and a helpful, and tall, neighbour meant we got away with minor scratches to the motorhome, but no awning.

However, there has been so much damage nearly everything - except the canvas - has gone to a new home! We had people calling round from all over the campsite when the rumour mill reported it had been destroyed.

Ginny