Well ... Of to France in a couple of weeks - EEk :) (1 Viewer)

barwik

Free Member
Oct 1, 2016
Barnoldswick
Funster No
MH
dont own one - yet !
Exp
Hello all ,
Don't know why I'm posting this cos nowt can be changed now -but were off on our first BIG trip ( been for weekends - 4 of them locally ) and now were booked on the ferry to Dunkirk in a weekish to see what France is like .
Already got various things wrong - put the wrong size of van for the ferry , got a stupidly nervous dog which we have to leave in the van for the crossing ( nightmare ) , havn't booked a site yet because we want to get there and turn right and see where it takes us ( hopefully a good idea ) and we don't speak the lingo and we have to find a vet for the return trip and I don't know how Aire's work and I'm hoping I've got all the right connections for leccy and water but I know I wont have .

Ya know what I mean !!
Much easier booking a flight !
but still looking forward to it :)
thanks
john

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
Doubt that you will need to book a site this time of year. The problem is that many will still be closed. But there are literally thousands of Aires you can use instead.

But just relax, what you don't have you will be able to buy in either the Supermarkets or the Monsieur Bricolage, which is the French equivalent of B&Q.

Upvote 0
May 31, 2015
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Ducato PVC
Exp
Getting Better
You must download "camper contact" put it in the search box on here,
If your just turning right you'll need it...

You'll have a great time...(y)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

wingman

Free Member
Feb 10, 2013
Romford, Essex
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt Lo-Profile
Exp
Since 2012
Hey John,
Even a journey of a thousand miles starts with one step!

Take it in small chunks. It's impossible to cover all of your concerns in my post. There will be others along with suggestions. However.....

Forget worrying about Aires etc for a moment. Before you do anything else, make sure that you think this side of the Channel first!! Is your paperwork in order? Here's a quick list to take:-

Vehicle log book (V5)
MOT (if the vehicle needs one)
Insurance
Driving Licence

Passports
Medical insurance or EHIC card (in date)
Ferry booking documentation
Meds that you may need (if you're on any)
Documentation for the mutt
Money (English)
Credit/Debit Cards
Some Euro's

The above list is not exhaustive, but it's a start! It's more of a worry if you have to return home for something vital than worrying about the lingo!

You've got a week, so have a look at You Tube. There are videos on there about 'First trip to France in a Motorhome'. They will take you on a pictorial journey from the Ferry with tips on what to do and what to look out for.

Can't deny there's a bit to learn John, but all in small bites mate. Don't try and absorb it all now.

Lingo? A "Bonjour" or "Merci" will get you a long way and smile too!

Best wishes and a safe journey and remember; this forum is only a tap away if you need help.

James

Upvote 0
OP
OP
barwik

barwik

Free Member
Oct 1, 2016
Barnoldswick
Funster No
MH
dont own one - yet !
Exp
Thank you for that - manners maketh the man - and go along way in most countries ! - got all my docs and the pet passport etc .
Its a bit strange but packing the truck is a big job - now I'm sure it get easier the more trips you do as stuff gets left in the van but crikey its a good job I've plenty of payload - family's must struggle to get it all in !
regards john

Upvote 0

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
Have a great time, it's a steep learning curve for your first couple of trips, but don't worry, France has shops too, which sell almost the same stuff as you could buy in the U.K! But, remember, most shops are shut on Sundays, boulangerie are generally closed for one day of the week ( usually Monday) there are thousands of Aires, many free, so no worries where to park overnight, and vets are generally easier to find than doctors surgeries.
Loads of people on here travel with their dogs, if you need any info on vets locations for where you are just before you head home, ask on the forum.
And a france is lovely just now, a couple of days ago it was 22 deg C here in Brittany.

Upvote 0
Feb 26, 2013
derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Autocruise stargazer
Exp
since 2013
Hi John. We printed ourselves out a checklist of everything we need, or think we do, in the van. We use as we pack up and take a copy with us to add/ delete things as we go along. Its been so useful over the years......

As long as you have your and the dog passports and credit or debit cards you will manage. We've done 30,000 miles in three years and haven't had any insurmountable problems. And France is so motorhome friendly compared to the UK.
Most campsites will give you local vet details and often make the appointment for you. We usually aim to do it three days before we come back.
A good map is useful and I use my Acsi and all the aires guides all the time.

Enjoy yourselves and maybe try the tunnel sometime? So easy for the dogs...

Enjoy yourself...

Upvote 0
Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
Don't stress it'll be fine have you got the aires book?. Don't expect aires to be campsites they are intended for overnight stays but we love them I don't think we have ever used a site in France! Don't spend on breathalysers you don't need them do spend on moules frites.

Upvote 0

spitfire

Free Member
Oct 13, 2010
Correze France
Funster No
MH
Bavaria
Exp
Since 2003
Hello all ,
Don't know why I'm posting this cos nowt can be changed now -but were off on our first BIG trip ( been for weekends - 4 of them locally ) and now were booked on the ferry to Dunkirk in a weekish to see what France is like .
Already got various things wrong - put the wrong size of van for the ferry , got a stupidly nervous dog which we have to leave in the van for the crossing ( nightmare ) , havn't booked a site yet because we want to get there and turn right and see where it takes us ( hopefully a good idea ) and we don't speak the lingo and we have to find a vet for the return trip and I don't know how Aire's work and I'm hoping I've got all the right connections for leccy and water but I know I wont have .

Ya know what I mean !!
thanks
john
Eeeeek you are going to that big bad Europe ! Don't mention Brexit !

Upvote 0

Welsh girl

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 7, 2009
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
Since 2004
Depends how long you are going for , have you refillable gas bottles as you won't be able to get Calor gas in France but plenty of garages to refill if needed. The website we use is mylpg.eu. We are making our way back now. In a delightful village at the moment called Lassay-les-ChĆ¢teaux, France. Just managed a walk round the village and chateaux yesterday after a hailstorm.
Enjoy your trip.

Upvote 0
Nov 3, 2016
Derbyshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph
Exp
Since 2016
Take a plug in electric heater!

Our Truma has just totally failed us on our first night in France and our 2nd trip in the Motorhome and it's only a year old van!

Thankfully we're on a proper site and have EHU so we're ok to amble thru with the cheapest electric heater known to man. But at least it works and warms the place up in the night. So glad I thru it in.

Upvote 0

Kirsten

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2015
Stratford on Avon
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544
Exp
Since 2010
All you need is wingman list selves and dog- and.... breathe! France is so m ho friendly , everything will be easy, driving in France is good,wine is good, our first trip was much nicer and stress free than we thought it would be
P/S all those aires rules... the French ignore them mostly xx enjoy

Upvote 0

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
Take a plug in electric heater!

Our Truma has just totally failed us on our first night in France and our 2nd trip in the Motorhome and it's only a year old van!

Thankfully we're on a proper site and have EHU so we're ok to amble thru with the cheapest electric heater known to man. But at least it works and warms the place up in the night. So glad I thru it in.
Sorry to read that you have more problems. Hope nothing major.
Enjoy your trip.

Upvote 0

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
Hello all ,

Ya know what I mean !!
thanks
john

Have a great time.

Upvote 0
Dec 4, 2014
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Been around the block a few timesšŸ˜‰
Hi barwik
We were just as concerned as yourselves a few months back did we have the right stuff? Did we have enough stuff?
As the others have said "don't worry" you're going to have a ball.

One problem we've encountered with the dog since running out of Butchers Meaty Snacks is he will only eat chicken or boiled ham :rolleyes:

Upvote 0
Dec 28, 2016
North Wales
Funster No
MH
Chausson 627GA
Exp
Just came back from our first trip on the continent as well.

No problems whatsoever -especially after combing through all the advice on here beforehand.

We got to an aire after 8pm & barrier was down so simply looked for another - a 'roll with it' vibe definitely helps!

Schoolboy french, some pointing & a big smile gets you there with the locals!

Enjoy

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back