Clive

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 30, 2012
Canvey Island
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
a redundancy scheme came up at work and I applied. I was turned down as being a too valuable resource to the company. Unfortunately for them I really looked at early retirement and realised I was working for £50 a week, clearing mortgage etc with lump sum. So I have now handed in my notice and will retire on 31st March 2016. My son finishes his degree in May and has decided to do his teacher training locally, house sitter sorted.
Now apart from August when I am stewarding a THS at Sea Palling I can make all those rallies which I missed through being too far or lack of holiday.

Bring it on

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
Well done you - you won't regret it.

I applied for voluntary redundancy and was turned down only to be made compulsorily redundant 4 weeks later, not sure how that works! I was then able to get some medical stuff done that I'd been refused sick leave for because it was "elective" and I decided I didn't want to go back to work for anyone else.

Now I am so busy I have to keep a diary - love being able to do what I want when I want.

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
Negotiating an exit from my previous employers was the best career move ever made! Don't miss it or them at all. The banter has largely been replaced by here........

Have a great time Clive and there is always a beer or three waiting in our van for you (y)

OP
OP
Clive

Clive

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 30, 2012
Canvey Island
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
I can't, trouble is so many places to go (y)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

LAM

Apr 23, 2014
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
Chausson 640 Welcome
Exp
Began with the purchase of our first, ever MH in 2014
You will be busier than ever !!!! :party3::party3:

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
You'll wonder how you ever had the time to go to work!
Roll on March....

Carol

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2007
North Wales.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
18 years s Motorhome (33years caravans)
What a great Christmas Present to yourself, with the Motorhome their is no end of permutations your retirement can bring, enjoy the planning and new found freedom when it arrives, we will be having the Easter Rally at Chester Food Festival, could be on your agenda. :Smile:

Cal54

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 25, 2014
Southport, UK
Funster No
MH
Leisuredrive Renoir
Exp
Since 1996
Great news Clive, hope to see you on a rally soon. Would have met at the solo meet in April but unfortunately you couldn't make it,
Enjoy your travels.

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
Well done you! Wish it was me.:) Now you can find the time to join in all the meets you missed.

OP
OP
Clive

Clive

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 30, 2012
Canvey Island
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
I can't believe I now have only 18 days until I finish work. The planning is basically over, even had to do a year planner to sort out where I'm going to be. The van is almost sorted, just waiting on a new hinge and the cruise control to be fitted, being done on the way to Chester. I've now ended up stewarding 3 THS's, one in Devon, one in Norfolk, the final one in Cornwell, which finishes on a Saturday, on the Sunday there's a ferry to Spain I'm planning to be on. No more winter for me. Let the adventures begin

Lisa

Funster
LIFE MEMBER
Apr 29, 2014
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido A class
Exp
20th Sept 2014
Good for you! Have fun doing what you want (y)

Nov 9, 2015
Addingham, West Yorkshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7099f
Exp
Veteran
I think with people being expected to work til they are 67/70 (PLUS?) MORE will pack up in their 50s and do something else. After we paid our first mortgage off we found a good self catering barn opportunity, got a huge mortgage (we can afford with the business) and now my wife is packing teaching in at 51. Yes, there was a risk but working for myself is more rewarding and I can only blame myself for any mistakes!
We now have a small caravan site (CL) which alone brings in 25% of a teachers wage and soon we can enjoy our van more too.
Take time to do your sums and plan well but I will never look back.

Anthea M

Free Member
Deceased RIP
Oct 18, 2015
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Hobby
Exp
Since 2009
I think with people being expected to work til they are 67/70 (PLUS?) MORE will pack up in their 50s and do something else. After we paid our first mortgage off we found a good self catering barn opportunity, got a huge mortgage (we can afford with the business) and now my wife is packing teaching in at 51. Yes, there was a risk but working for myself is more rewarding and I can only blame myself for any mistakes!
We now have a small caravan site (CL) which alone brings in 25% of a teachers wage and soon we can enjoy our van more too.
Take time to do your sums and plan well but I will never look back.
Congratulations on your decision! I know how stressful teaching is as Rob did it for 36 years! Good luck with your CL and post details as we live near if it's around Buxton. Enjoy your change in lifestyle!(y):sun::Grin:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back