well i have gone and done it

Discussion in 'Self-Build Motorhomes' started by lee52, Oct 15, 2013.

1. lee52

lee52 Funster

Hi guys new her and my first build/rebuild

as the title says i have gone and done it and not by halves i have a bought a selfbuild it belonged to good friend of mine he has owned it for 10yrs but it spent the last 4 years parked up. its wright consort bodied leyland road runner 28footer
    dont have any pics of her yet but heres a one from the web of the orig base vehicle [​IMG][​IMG]
    [ame="http://www.flickr.com/photos/gpainter/2937178512/"]G571PNS (1990) Leyland 9-13R Roadrunner with Wright Bus Body | Flickr - Photo Sharing![/ame]

she has had all side and rear glass removed blanked with ally and some caravan windows fitted, interior fully kitted currently 6 berth,

pros
    already a private hgv motorcaravan on V5
    everything works
    after very little effort she fired up built up and held air
    cons
    interior needs a full refit its not to bad just looks a bit tired and things arent fastened or wired up to my standard its more time than money
    needs a full paint (roller and rustoleum job)

Mot wise steering box leaking, brake cables sticking strip clean rebuild all brakes.
    and about 100 unforseen jobs lol
    plan is to refitt exisiting interior and sort wiring paint over winter then use next summer then next winter strip interior again and redesign layout refit with a more uptodate interior...(want to use it first before redesign to get idea of where i want things sometimes you need to live with these first) and fit

Last edited: Oct 15, 2013
    • Like Like x 1
  2. lee52

lee52 Funster

the other problem well not really a prob is i need to downrate her shes currently plated at a whopping 9t and i only have a c1 licence unladen in her present state she tips the scales at 5.8 tonnes so downrated at 7.5t i still have lots of payload etc... to play with

3. movan

movan Funster Life Member

Welcome Lee. I am sure you will enjoy being here and sharing your experiences, and being able to ask advice from the others who have self-built. :thumb:

4. lee52

lee52 Funster

am sure i will have more questions then everyone can handle lol

5. Wissel

Wissel Read Only Funster

Looks like a fun project :BigGrin:

Welcome to the forum. There are quite a few self-builders here if you ever need any help.

6. Wildbill

Wildbill Funster

welcome my first one was a bus 16 str ambulance transport just get out there and enjoy
    and welcome to the fun

7. lee52

lee52 Funster

its more hard work than anything thing else luckly i am a mechanic by trade and a bit handy with the tools

• Like Like x 1
  8. Carol

Carol Funster Life Member

Hello and Welcome to Motorhome Fun,:welcomefunster:

9. barearse

barearse Funster

Newcomer

Welcome Lee, this club really useful for all kinds of advice. Like you, I opted for a self build. Unlike you I knew nothing of my 709D Mercedes! I was impressed with the standard of the build. The owner b 4 me knew the guy who built it.She had done just 7000 miles in the last six years!:thumb: For me, it's as much about the truck as the m/h.The Merc mechanic who serviced her and put new front discs and pads on asked for first refusal, so I must have got something right. :BigGrin:

10. lee52

lee52 Funster

part from the size of these things the beauty is we have a commerical truck thats designed to work all day everyday fully loaded and now there pretty much unloaded and not really working so mechanically they will last forever mines got a 5.9 cummings motor it only done 200,000kms so not even broken in yet lol

11. voyager 1

voyager 1 Read Only Funster

Hi Lee :thumb:

Looks great will make an exellent motorhome ,wish you luck with the conversion
    post some more pic`s up as you progress and of course the finished job.

12. lee52

lee52 Funster

Well here's all 28ft of sheer awesomeness lol (well they say beauty is in the eye of the beholder) she looks quite good in the dark at a distance behind a hedge facing the other way with sunglasses on with your eyes closed lol
    [​IMG][​IMG]

13. lee52

lee52 Funster

I think I might be sharing this motorhome with another family :Laughing::Laughing:
    [​IMG][​IMG]

14. lee52

lee52 Funster

well slowly getting there inside all stripped out ready for refit still not sure on layout made a scale drawing and made little cardboard cutouts for fridges beds etc.. to move about lol

cant decide on paint colour for outside i am a big fan black but prob is black shows all dents etc... whites the best for hiding a multitude of sins

would a big black mh cause probs getting into sites ?