Funster
May 23, 2010
Leicester
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
2 mins
I am sure that many will relate to this tale.

As I said in my introduction I was looking for a motorhome to make me stop going into work, I have reached that age where I have realised that I sould stop living to work and change it around, the clue comes when your guys start referring to you as the "old fart", and collect peices of suspiciously coffin shaped wood. MMMMM

So off we go in searh of an American A class motor home with a £30,000 budget, well you know what it's like you start looking at the adds and think thats just what I am looking for, so after driving 100 miles to veiw you are asking, why has it got a 110volt site box in that locker? whats all those wires that are cut off and hanging do? (and some of these are at dealers) well after a series of these we (I) decide to up the anti to £50,000............start to hunt the adds again.

Eureka you've found it just what you want quick grab the phone we will go and veiw it this weekend..........sorry it's sold.

Then we sorry I saw it more than double my original budget, (it's worth mentioning at this point my wife holds the purse strings something to do with too many toys) now how do I break this one to her????? you will love it, I won't have to keep mending it, it's a late model with low miles, we will use it a lot more, I know I will promise to sell some toys, (she might forget :ROFLMAO: no chance)

We are now the proud owners (as of two weeks ago) of a 2007 Holiday Rambler 35' Vacationer Deisel Pusher.

After a week my Valeter told me it was finished and asked me not to present him with another one lol.

Now it is time for our maiden voyage, and we were just in time for the Northern Motorcaravan Show last weekend at Knutsford, now I made the mistake of telling the wife where we were going and all the goodies I wanted for the coach, so with my credit cards confiscated (she needn't have bothered I always have to ask her what the pin number is anyway) cheque books hidden and pocket money reduced we set off.

I took Friday afternoon off :cry: (good start she thought it would never happen) and arrived at about 4pm we had a great time and thanks to all those freindly people we met my wife is now looking forward to our next trip.

Can some one tell me why I didn't do this sooner.

I look forward to meeting a lot of you guys over the comming months Oh and thanks for reading my ramblings.

See you all soon.::bigsmile:::bigsmile:::bigsmile:::bigsmile:::bigsmile:::bigsmile:::bigsmile:::bigsmile:

Rick & Rosie

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Hi Rick & Rosie, I can feel your excitement from here, nothing quite like the purchase of a motorhome. Have Fun:thumb:

Carol

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2007
North Wales.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
18 years s Motorhome (33years caravans)
Well it sounds as if you really have been and done it, hope its all you want it to be and enjoy collecting the essencial and non:ROFLMAO: esencieal goodys enjoy.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Theonlysue

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 14, 2009
Essex
Funster No
MH
As Executive 50th an
Exp
Not long enough!
I dont think the spending ever stops, but dont tell SWMBO that:ROFLMAO:

Enjoy your new purchase::bigsmile:::bigsmile:::bigsmile:

S.

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
You have just started the learning curve

well you know what it's like you start looking at the adds and think thats just what I am looking for, so after driving 100 miles to veiw you are asking, why has it got a 110volt site box in that locker? whats all those wires that are cut off and hanging do? (and some of these are at dealers) .................

Well you have started the larning curve. My wife had a budget under £20k me I never looked at anything under about £35k. We went and saw ... yes including the transformers you mention and the hanging wires ..where do they get the electrician from I ask myself. I cannot say all companies are bad, but better think of buyer beware.

I watched my RV come down from £37,500 plus vat in MMM over 6 months until it reached £28,000 and no vat. But I still had to spend £12,000 to get it the way I wanted it. The bad electrics.. yes we had them, all replaced by a proper company and not just done to sell the RV. You have to watch very carefully what is being sold or done. We had a 2" x 2" lump of wood wedged between the roof and the TV (all that was holding the second hand monster of a tv in the B class roof). Now all gone and replaced with good quality items with proper supports and brackets.. not cheap, but done right.

Buying the RV is the first step... boy you have a long road to travel. Our RV had 8k on the clock and was 5 years old when it came over the pond. We have now put the clock up to 13k and taken it to the South of France and many shows. We have made it in to what we wanted. Forget the orignal £18k the wife had in mind, I was lucky that I purchased at the right time when the $ was 2 to the UK£ and the dealer had burnt his fingers and just wanted to get back a chunk of the cost. The paper work showed he took a loss on the deal and that was my gain...hence the poor electric and tv work etc., a case of do as little as possible as it was a loss to him in any case.

My wife finally agreed what we saw under £20k was in the most very sad and old. We tried to deal with a main dealer who we had purchased our first American RV 20 years plus ago in Witney. But we could never get to a place we were both happy with a deal and as we did not have £75k they were looking at for most of there stock (plus) they were not really interested and pointed us to the area at the back with a lot of over priced and sad RV's.

We are not talking about one dealer but several all offering what was far below a satisfactory level, vehicles smelling of damp to be told that no heating had been put on the RV over the winter. To asking for the swivel seat to be moved ...only if you are seriouly wanting to buy it:Angry::Angry: .. hense we walked away.

So you have started the road. I am glad you have a late vehicle and it meets your (wifes) pocket book, but you have only just started the journey. I wish you a lot of luck and happy times, I certainly have enjoyed my time motor homing in American RV's Would never go back to a European or UK camper. But there is so many goodies to buy still... be warned.:thumb:

Bob

OP
OP
motor roamin

motor roamin

Funster
May 23, 2010
Leicester
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
2 mins
Hi Bob

Thanks for those kind words, the problem is I can already relate to them, (need my own stash that the boss dosn't know about) luckily having been around the motor trade all my life I know what I am looking at and don't very often get caught, but some so called dealers are very good at hiding things.

I could not believe some of the vehicles we saw were for sale let alone at the money being asked, I would have been ashamed to offer them to anyone other than for spares/repair.

The one I eventually bought was well over double my original budget, but it had not been messed around with and was supplied new here with a good conversion done.

I bought it private and did manage to knock close to £25,000 off the over the top asking price, he wasnt getting any offers because it was filthy in and out, but as I said many years in the motor trade I know what cleans and what doesn't.

Five full days cleaning the interior and two full days cleaning and polishing the exterior (for two people) saw it sparkling and worth a lot more money. ( I called my valeter out of retirement lol)

Now it begins.........the sat dome what to go for what do I spend, then the essential things........Dirt Skirt Stainless of course Stainless exhust tip etc.

Looks like my beloved Avalanche which I have owned from new and my Harley F250 powerstroke will have to go, but I am keeping my corvette, oh I need a trailer for that to go behind the RV. Oh pooo I see what you mean,

Hope to meet up at one of the shows.

Rick.

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
Keep spending the dosh

Hi Bob

Thanks for those kind words, the problem is I can already relate to them, (need my own stash that the boss dosn't know about) luckily having been around the motor trade all my life I know what I am looking at and don't very often get caught, but some so called dealers are very good at hiding things.

I could not believe some of the vehicles we saw were for sale let alone at the money being asked, I would have been ashamed to offer them to anyone other than for spares/repair.

The one I eventually bought was well over double my original budget, but it had not been messed around with and was supplied new here with a good conversion done.

I bought it private and did manage to knock close to £25,000 off the over the top asking price, he wasnt getting any offers because it was filthy in and out, but as I said many years in the motor trade I know what cleans and what doesn't.

Five full days cleaning the interior and two full days cleaning and polishing the exterior (for two people) saw it sparkling and worth a lot more money. ( I called my valeter out of retirement lol)

Now it begins.........the sat dome what to go for what do I spend, then the essential things........Dirt Skirt Stainless of course Stainless exhust tip etc.

Looks like my beloved Avalanche which I have owned from new and my Harley F250 powerstroke will have to go, but I am keeping my corvette, oh I need a trailer for that to go behind the RV. Oh pooo I see what you mean,

Hope to meet up at one of the shows.

Rick.

Hi Rick

I will be at Malvern.. may be in the disabled area or in the general if they will allow me to park up with my daughter and her husband with there tent in the general area... Depends on Warners if they will allow me to move from the booking I made, but I will be with the Funsters at Bath & West in September - already got my tickets.

I am still spending........... never ends... always something to buy. That is owning an American RV.

Look me up at a show.. Winnebago Aspect 23' - cannot miss the St Bernard dog and the electric Buggies and the old one with the grey beard (and grey hair these days).

Always happy to chew the fat and talk RV's

Latest buy? ordered some slide out support jacks and another set of 4 plastic 10 ton jack pads (many uses). As I say always something to buy and I hate Malvern as I will end up spending more money.

Bob

Last edited:

chatter

Free Member
Aug 3, 2009
cheshire
Funster No
MH
5th wheel
Exp
10+
Best thing to do is write yourself a wish list and a practical list, then when you see something that is on your wish list get your next list out which will have on it :

what i want
do we need it
why do we need it
will it really get used
is it a good price

if you can give yourself the right answers to that list then its on the cards it wont be money wasted but think about it properly. Most of us have stuff that we have bought under the 'i want one' heading but quite often will of used it once or twice at most then it gets relegated to the store room(garage) never to be seen for the next year or so

maggie

OP
OP
motor roamin

motor roamin

Funster
May 23, 2010
Leicester
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
2 mins
Hi Bob

I wiill look you upI have a 2007 holiday rambler vacationer just in case you spot me first,
I will be in the general area too as we messed up when we booked (new to all this) and they didn't want to change it.

Thought I better run the motorhome up today as it is pretty snug on my drive at the moment and little things like running vehicles now and then sometimes gets over looked, guess what first spend batteries US lol.

OP
OP
motor roamin

motor roamin

Funster
May 23, 2010
Leicester
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
2 mins
Hi Maggie

Good advice, I have one problem, I am male and like all males I buy toys, quite often of the kind you describe.........but they realy do look like a good idea at the time sometimes even useful:ROFLMAO: you are well ahead of me though if your's only hides for a year.

When we bought the motor home Rosie (the sensible one) said we need to buy pots and pans, I told not to as we had some almost new ones in one of the boxes we shipped back with us from the USA, (bear in mind this was 2006 still unopened) she assured me we didn't bring them, much ferriting about in the boiler room and hey presto found them, plus loads of stuff under the above heading of seemed like a good idea at the time:RollEyes::RollEyes:

Bailey58

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 23, 2010
Norfolk and Toftir.
Funster No
MH
Sold
Exp
July 2010 (ex tugger)
It seems most of us end up spending far more than we intended on the outset of our motorhome purchases, and carry on spending, a bit like the boat that's a hole in the water we pour money into.

OP
OP
motor roamin

motor roamin

Funster
May 23, 2010
Leicester
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
2 mins
Well done, enjoy

P.S I don't stock RV's but you wont find any sad old dogs on my forecourt!

Peter

Hi Peter

After many years in the motor trade you know as well as I do there are traders who don't give a fig for there customers and many are one hit wonders, I always thought that very short sighted of them, although no longer in the trade I still have customers who will not go anywhere else and I still look after them.

I still have one customer who bought my daughter a teddy when she was born, she was 40 in april and her daughter is getting married next year. Now I feel old...........ish

Funny they all become friends.

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
big place Malvern

Hi Bob

I wiill look you upI have a 2007 holiday rambler vacationer just in case you spot me first, I will be in the general area too as we messed up when we booked (new to all this) and they didn't want to change it.

Thought I better run the motorhome up today as it is pretty snug on my drive at the moment and little things like running vehicles now and then sometimes gets over looked, guess what first spend batteries US lol.

The general field (s) cover a big big areas, as do the disabled areas.. I will look out for you when I am walking the dog.. but if you see me on the Buggy with the Saint Bernard in tow (or me in tow as the case may be) then flag me down.

Bob

OP
OP
motor roamin

motor roamin

Funster
May 23, 2010
Leicester
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
2 mins
Will do Bob I look for a buggy being towed by a St Bernard, shouldn't be too hard to spot I hope:roflmto::roflmto::roflmto::roflmto::roflmto:

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
To make it easier

Will do Bob I look for a buggy being towed by a St Bernard, shouldn't be too hard to spot I hope:roflmto::roflmto::roflmto::roflmto::roflmto:

If it is a bit on the cooler side you might find me with a black drifters coat (like used by cowpokes on horses... my buggy is the horse if you follow me).. but the the black cowboy hat, the red bandana (red neck) and if you look closer the colt 45 on the belt. (only chance these days to wear the guns is Malvern) But I still think the Saint Bernard is the biggest give away.

If it is a bit warmer, still some form of cowboy hat (well worn) and a black leather waste coat with rebel chains joining the two sides up.. real red neck.. plus may be the guns and of course Ezzie the Saint Bernard ...

Bob

Jul 28, 2010
The world
Funster No
MH
Small car
Exp
Well done and welcome to the club
I hope you get as much fun and enjoyment from your RV as we do from ours

We got ours private buy last year £8000 less than first advertised
then the list started

solar power, roof storage box, rear skirt for towing,
then after severn months and 5000 miles it needed some TLC
thanks to Duncan (starspangledspanner) full service new master cylinder, new internal fan, belts, brakes roof aicon service
reseal on roof /side panel all roof lights
12v-240 1000wat inverter new tv free view and replace the 110v american in the loung
total spend so far
not far off £6000
its now just about how i want it
so the next year will show if all the oout spend was worth it.

its so nice just up sticks and stay any where that takes us
camp sites towild camping
off to the show 14th Aug for the weekend and on to France in september

hope to meet you some time on your travels

yours
ian&Carole

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
only £6,000 spent?

Well done and welcome to the club
I hope you get as much fun and enjoyment from your RV as we do from ours

We got ours private buy last year £8000 less than first advertised
then the list started

solar power, roof storage box, rear skirt for towing,
then after severn months and 5000 miles it needed some TLC
thanks to Duncan (starspangledspanner) full service new master cylinder, new internal fan, belts, brakes roof aicon service
reseal on roof /side panel all roof lights
12v-240 1000wat inverter new tv free view and replace the 110v american in the loung
total spend so far
not far off £6000
its now just about how i want it
so the next year will show if all the oout spend was worth it.

its so nice just up sticks and stay any where that takes us
camp sites towild camping
off to the show 14th Aug for the weekend and on to France in september

hope to meet you some time on your travels

yours
ian&Carole

Hi Ian and Carole

Owning an American RV is like poring money in to the water if you owned a boat. It never ends.

Essential work first then the toys start appearing on the wants list.

Never had the money the first time around back 20 years or more, mind you do not seem to have much these days with the way the economy is. But I still managed to spend the best part of £13k in the past year on the Winnebago.

I hope now she is all done, still have some slide out jacks on order and another set of jack blocks (fantastic lego type and light yet can support 10 tons each) .. I have no jacks b ut these blocks are so useful for lots of other uses and can be used to drive up on as well. But I digress, nearly done I think, have to collect 10 spark plugs from Stateside tuning at Malvern and a carpet I had made to measure at Newbury to go down as a runner. Need a couple of leds in the bathroom (done the rest of the coach 14 done so far). Looking for the table napkins I did not buy on the last day of Malvern last year (bought the heavy American table cloth).. hope he is there this year.

But the major jobs are done now. UK 26" tv DVD to match, Free to air saterlite, 1500 watt inverter, back up cameras, back up sensors, airlift suspenstion. Full strike back alarms system and dozens and dozens of small items that always add to the bill.

Yesterday mad the boss an step to go on the electric step (made of wood) to bring it 2 3/4" up so that each step is now the same climb. Another job off the list.

Just when you say that is it, you find another job to do. But that is owning an American RV for you... would not trade it. I have had a caravan, I have had a C class european Glendale way back, but when I found an American there is no going back. .. hooked up and it is a bit warm, the air con kicks in on auto, You know what I mean. on 12v you use the wantastic vent with a window open, but that cools it down.

Keep at it... I am sure you will find more to buy for your dream.

Bob

Jan 11, 2010
Chester
Funster No
MH
Auto-trail
Exp
Well that`s our 13th year & still loving it.
welcome

Welcome to our club Rick and Rosie, :welcomefunster:
We have read this thread right through and looking at Rick`s replies he doesn`t need to be pointed in any direction... he`s going to be at the front of the queque, must have that, need one of those, oooow rosie come and see this....:whatthe:

All we would say is we hope you enjoy your new found hobby as much as we do because one thing is certain...

It`s so bloody addictive :beerchug:

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
I will drink to that

We have read this thread right through and looking at Rick`s replies he doesn`t need to be pointed in any direction... he`s going to be at the front of the queque, must have that, need one of those, oooow rosie come and see this....:whatthe:

All we would say is we hope you enjoy your new found hobby as much as we do because one thing is certain...

Could not agree more.

Bob

OP
OP
motor roamin

motor roamin

Funster
May 23, 2010
Leicester
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
2 mins
oooow rosie come and see this....:whatthe:

Thanks for those words, must take you to task on the comment above, the secret is buy it first then when she finds it tell I have had it ages.

The above quote will only get a resounding NO.

Thirty years has taught me, (but I am sure she knows realy:roflmto::roflmto::roflmto:)

Bob I do hope it is cheaper than a boat I have seen what freinds put into theirs, they all kept telling me to buy one as I said why do I want to buy one when I can borrow yours it's cheaper:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

See you all at Malvern.

All my toys are bloody addictive:Doh::Doh::Doh::Doh:

OP
OP
motor roamin

motor roamin

Funster
May 23, 2010
Leicester
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
2 mins
Hi Motorhomelover

I am begining to wish I had gone down the route of spending less on my initial purchase as I coughed up in excess of £65K and already have a shopping list over £5k

Just don't tell Rosie when you see her.........I told it was no more than a new car.............I just didn't tell her it was the Bentley she always wanted:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back