Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
Cannot see where it will do any Harm. "I`nt 'told daze" we used to overnight in car parks on the odd occasion Mostly hiding in amongst the Trucks. Back then you where rarely if ever, bothered the noisiest bit was when all the drivers woke up at 3/4am and fired up!!.

The following was sent by e-mail a few minuets ago.:-

"
Hi

May I congratulate the council on their Enlightened Policy ref; the use of certain Car parks as infrequent overnight stay area`s, with respect to Motor Caravans .

It is well documented that the “Aire” system as operated in Europe, has benefits in increased footfall and consumer spending. so one would hope that the good Burgers of Blackpool will see some extra benefit from this forward looking policy decision."

Pete

Last edited:

wingman

Free Member
Feb 10, 2013
Romford, Essex
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt Lo-Profile
Exp
Since 2012
Long way from Essex, but I've sent my thanks. No point in moaning about councils if we're not prepared to write when someone relaxes the rulz!

This is what I've written....

I would like to compliment the Council for allowing Motorhome parking.
I do a lot of Motorhome touring and have always wanted to visit Blackpool. However, parking and overnight stops have discouraged me in the past.

The vast majority of motorhomers are law abiding folk, who do not littler, cause damage, empty waste inappropriately etc. Unfortunately, some other sections of society make it so difficult for us when they do this.

I am a member of a large Motorhome internet group with literally thousands of members and I will ensure that the group learn of your coucil's relaxation of some parking rules.

Many of our group prefer to go to France, rather than the UK because of that countries' areas specially set aside for motorhomes. There are over 3,000 of these areas in France alone, bringing in much wanted revenue to small villages and large cities.

Well done Blackpool for the Council's forward thinking.

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Aug 09 to date 9,000 miles!
Did they leave Albert behind?

Don't be so bloomin daft woman! - everybody knows (cos Stanley 'Olloway was forever tellin us) that yon lion swallowed the little lad WHOLE!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Sep 10, 2013
Chelmsford Essex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Getting better
This is a good news story and others may follow suit. However enforcing the rules and keeping it gyppo free may be quite a task! Rather them than me.

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
This is a good news story and others may follow suit. However enforcing the rules and keeping it gyppo free may be quite a task! Rather them than me.
I don't know if Blackpool has a problem with travellers in general but the car parks concerned have been there for a long time and I've never heard of any traveller incursions.

Travellers cause problems in some areas of the country but by no means all. In most areas where they do cause problems they don't do so on public car parks.

Reactions: JJ
Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
I went to Blackpool last year after a long absence and I must say I wont be returning even if they give free parking. I thought it had become a bit of a tip. Just my view.........

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Congratulations are in order and a step forward.. but lets not get carried away.. these are just parking places using coach bays .. . they are not aires... Unless someone knows different, there are no facilities, ie. water and waste dumping.. The price is about right for what is provided..

Useful for a day visit, but not staying all night .. no thanks.. I'd rather pay to stay on a site.

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Congratulations are in order and a step forward.. but lets not get carried away.. these are just parking places using coach bays .. . they are not aires... Unless someone knows different, there are no facilities, ie. water and waste dumping.. The price is about right for what is provided..

Useful for a day visit, but not staying all night .. no thanks.. I'd rather pay to stay on a site.
Correct Jim but they make no claims to anything other, just like St Annes down the road. I've mentioned before that the approach taken by officers is to gradually increase facilities (at low cost to the council) to convince members that it is the right way to go. We are now seeing a progression from specific daytime parking facilities/rates for motorhomes to allowing habitation, including overnight. Hopefully aires may follow if success continues.

Personally I would agree with you though. On any future visits to Blackpool we would probably time them to go with the C&CC or MCC to South Shore Cricket Club again (or to one of their other rally venues locally).

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
In most areas where they do cause problems they don't do so on public car parks.

Except Bridlington!. Where they recently "occupied" the Car and Coach Park next to Tesco. having been thrown off the "Park and Ride". According to "Look North", and local Press.

I know they where on Hiderthorpe Road C-P, when I last used the Brid; Tesco in the run up to Xmas.

Pete

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Except Bridlington!. Where they recently "occupied" the Car and Coach Park next to Tesco. having been thrown off the "Park and Ride". According to "Look North", and local Press.

I know they where on Hiderthorpe Road C-P, when I last used the Brid; Tesco in the run up to Xmas.

Pete
I did say most :) They have also caused problems in Skegness in recent years and at P&R sites in Cambridge in the past (which is why motorhomes can only use Trumpington). Most councils do not suffer traveller incursions on their car parks though.

CWH

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 29, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
WildAx PVC
Exp
From November 2013
motorhomes can only use Trumpington

..... where nobody would DARE outstay their welcome!

FILE9386.jpg

Sep 23, 2013
Lincs
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Since 2008 (started in a VW T4 campervan)
This is great news, even if you don't want to go to Blackpool. Blackpool will have looked at how it has worked at St. Anne's. If Blackpool is a success, other councils will look at both & follow suit. Once there are half a dozen councils in tourist areas reporting that it has been positive, the idea will start to spread. By the time it becomes widespread, we will all be dependent on our children springing us from the old folks home for a day out, but it's a good start.

All credit to Blackpool council, but even more credit to those persistent few who have made constructive approaches to councils with reasoned arguments as to why they should give this a go.

I feel a north-west coastal tour coming on - just to go & use the facilities up that coast as a matter of principle because they are there!

I have very fond memories of Blackpool. I used to go to Young Farmers Annual Conventions there in my early twenties. :) 4000 young farmers used to hit town for the weekend. Never in bed before the sun came up & always down for breakfast as a matter of principle. Arrive Friday evening & the hotel had to restock the bar from the off-licence on the Saturday morning as we'd cleaned them out. Barman used to knock of about 2.30am with the instruction "Help yourself, lads & put the money in the till". (y) Always a great welcome from the town, unlike one or two other places we went to.

kcy

Free Member
Nov 7, 2013
east yorkshire
Funster No
MH
chausson flash
Exp
since 2012

Pete
Ebony( flatcoated retriever) rolled in human sh*t they left behind.The telltale clue, apart from smell,was the toilet paper. I hate these vagrants

ianandkath

Free Member
Jun 4, 2015
spain/uk
Funster No
MH
a class
Exp
2 years
not saying anything about yorkshire, but it seems that travellers love the shit there ,:LOL::LOL::LOL:

May 21, 2008
Oxford
Funster No
MH
WildAx Constellation
Exp
Since 2008
Just sent my thanks thus;

There’s a seaside resort called Blackpool,
Which is noted for fresh air and sun,
And Mr and Mrs Ramsbottom,
Went there in their Camper for fun,

They thought they’d have trouble with parking
As like as they’d found everywhere
But Blackpool Council were different
And showed that they really did care

So t’Ramsbottoms spent time up the Tower
And in café’s and Pubs, they spent well
All because the good Burgers of Blackpool
Knew they’d got something to sell

So thank you to those who decided
Thanks be to one and to all
Though Blackpool I know is in Lancs.
This Tyke might just make a call

Best I could do in the last half and hour
(and I did give my apologies to Marriot Edgar)

Very good that man...

May 21, 2008
Oxford
Funster No
MH
WildAx Constellation
Exp
Since 2008
I went to Blackpool for a little bit
But I didn't stay long cos it's absolutely shi ...........:D:D:D
Strangely enough we were less than impressed with Evesham - no devent shops, all charity shops, a few beggars and lots of very fat people on mobility scooters cluttering up the Wetherspoons.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
lots of very fat people on mobility scooters cluttering up .

Until you've seen Benidorm you have no idea just what clutter is. Imagine a big herd of Wildebeest charging across Swaziland, what they can't eat they flatten. Nothing is safe from them. They can't hear, they can't see but sure as hell they can grip a throttle.

Nov 23, 2015
Burwash, Horsham & The Dordogne
Funster No
MH
Auto-Trail Comanche
Exp
Since 2016
Just seen this..... I think we will send them a note too, and congratulate them. But to be honest Blackpool isn't our thing. However, if this IS the beginning of councils being more open to MH'rs, then thats a good thing.. I suppose if we had at least 10% of what France offers us as a start, then it has to be taken positively..

What's next, a CL near Westminster, or St Paul's Cathedral... Wouldn't that be great !!!

Here's a (y) to Blackpool Council.

ianandkath

Free Member
Jun 4, 2015
spain/uk
Funster No
MH
a class
Exp
2 years
well done blackpool. its only 25 miles from me so we will use the parking in the summer.
lets hope it all goes well and more follow there lead

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back