Free Member
Jul 26, 2007
Europe
Funster No
MH
yes
Exp
Since before Motorhomefun
What preparation is needed before you start painting?

I was up on mine and have small areas that are flaking (not bad) but suppose I should do it.

How long does it take for the paint to dry? (no I aint going to watch it:roflmto:)

Tony Santara

Free Member
Jul 26, 2007
Cheshire (ex Mancunian)
Funster No
MH
A class RV
Exp
since 1994
What preparation is needed before you start painting?

I was up on mine and have small areas that are flaking (not bad) but suppose I should do it.

How long does it take for the paint to dry? (no I aint going to watch it:roflmto:)

Hi John
you need to brush or wash off any dirt or flakey bits

Drying time depending on weather is pretty quick

go on mate you know you want to :thumb:

OP
OP
TestPoster
Jul 20, 2007
Scotland
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 1999
Hi John
I got some rubber roof cleaner from Linda and scrubbed the roof down carefully making sure that I got into all the corners and into the sealer etc. It takes a couple of hours to dry if there is good weather. Check out all the sealant between the roof and the front and rear caps and roof vents etc, repair as required...
First coat of paint takes a little longer to apply because you want to ensure that you get it into all the corners etc, make sure that you completely cover the sealant as well, use a small brush and scrub it well in... Second coat is easier to apply and quicker, do allow about 4 hours between coats for drying reasons. Do not forget to get the paint into all the joints around any roof penetration, if required remove covers etc to allow access.
It is easily possible to get the roof fully prepared and painted in a weekend John and it does make such a big difference. I have to do the roof on Woody, and the weather should be glorious by the time we get it back from Travelworld, and if we are really lucky it will be this year too :Eeek:
HTH

Keith

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Road Runner

Free Member
Jul 26, 2007
Europe
Funster No
MH
yes
Exp
Since before Motorhomefun
I want to.Is it expensive and can it be rollered on?

No Steve you use a spray gun:winky::roflmto:

or you could use an old coat and roll around on the roof:winky:in fact you could make a meet of it if you do it this way:thumb:

====================================================

Thinking about it i might need an extra can as i end up with as much piant on me:RollEyes::roflmto:

My DIY skills = DESTROY IT YOURSELF​

Last edited:
OP
OP
TestPoster
Jul 20, 2007
Scotland
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 1999
I want to.Is it expensive and can it be rollered on?

Hi Steve
Please see Link Removed for the answers to your questions mate :thumb: The top item is the paint and further down is the cleaner. You need to clean thoroughly first then apply the paint with brush (edges and corners) and a roller for the big flat bits :thumb:
Does your RV have a rubber roof? I thought it was aluminium???

Keith

American Dream

Free Member
Aug 20, 2007
Lincoln
Funster No
MH
?
Exp
?
Hi Steve
Please see Link Removed for the answers to your questions mate :thumb: The top item is the paint and further down is the cleaner. You need to clean thoroughly first then apply the paint with brush (edges and corners) and a roller for the big flat bits :thumb:
Does your RV have a rubber roof? I thought it was aluminium???

Keith

Hi Keith,

Seems it may well have an ally one but someone has coated it with some sort of rubber membrane or coating.Will have to look closer. I really hate having to dig into the roof to find out what it's made of.:Sad:

Like the idea of sorting it in the coming "summer" months and a nice white roof again.:RollEyes:

OP
OP
TestPoster
Jul 20, 2007
Scotland
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 1999
Hey Steve
Don't dig into the roof matey, wait until the Newark show meet and I will jump up and have a look for you, then you can just wander over to Linda's stand and buy what you need :thumb: :roflmto:
It is very possible that someone has coated the existing roof with and elastomeric material, several reasons for doing this including making it quieter when it rains and sealing up any small leaks that appear. Perfectly good stuff and you will need to check that it has been correctly applied and not peeling otherwise it is a case of pulling it off and reapplying the material.
Worthwhile job though and not too expensive in my opinion to ensure that your roof is well sealed and leak free :thumb:

Keith

American Dream

Free Member
Aug 20, 2007
Lincoln
Funster No
MH
?
Exp
?
Cheers Keith.
You seem to like RV roofs.:ROFLMAO:.Tell me your secret.

I think you may be right.Looks like something has been applied to the roof retrospectively.

L

Lindy-C

Deleted User
What colour is the coating you have on there Steve if its not white?

Some people have a nasty habit of using that bituminous black liquid rubber stuff you can buy over the counter at B&Q .

American Dream

Free Member
Aug 20, 2007
Lincoln
Funster No
MH
?
Exp
?
What colour is the coating you have on there Steve if its not white?

Some people have a nasty habit of using that bituminous black liquid rubber stuff you can buy over the counter at B&Q .

Hi,

It's a white coating under the verdigree that will insist on keep coming back.Must get that tree cut down.:Doh:

Would be nice to re-coat it as it looks a bit "aged" now.

OP
OP
TestPoster
Jul 20, 2007
Scotland
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 1999
Hi Steve
We also live under trees so we know the problem and I would say that you NEED to remove all that green nasty stuff before recoating mate or the fresh paint will just slide off the green stuff :Sad:

Keith

American Dream

Free Member
Aug 20, 2007
Lincoln
Funster No
MH
?
Exp
?
Hi Steve
We also live under trees so we know the problem and I would say that you NEED to remove all that green nasty stuff before recoating mate or the fresh paint will just slide off the green stuff :Sad:

Keith

Sounds a bit like me the other day when I was up there.:ROFLMAO:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back