Welcome to France!

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by Dorwyn, Mar 17, 2016.

1. Dorwyn

Dorwyn Funster

We just pulled off the Péage from Spain near Bayonne, driving along narrow hilly roads slightly lost, and got pulled in to a Police check point. The trainee officer went to the passenger side of the van, then sheepishly realized that there was no steering wheel there, so came around to my side. He asked if I spoke French, and looked totally lost when I said no. So the senior officer had to take over, and asked for my driver's licence. Slight panic on my side, because I was unsure if we had the green 2nd part with us, or even if they were still issued. He studied it seriously for a while then sternly gave it back. There was a heavily armed officer holding an automatic behind him.
    "He's got a gun!" I pointed, wide eyed. "Yes", he said. Ahh, I said. "Welcome to France".

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  2. DavidG58

DavidG58 Funster

Let them keep checking, might it be the sun tan making you look non European, travelling north from known trouble sources, (I mean north Africa not Spain :)) given recent troubles I don't blame them (y)

• Like Like x 2
  3. Dorwyn

Dorwyn Funster

Of course they should. They were stopping anyone. I heard that there was a scare about a missing terrorist from a bust in Belgium. Believe me, I could never pass for anything but a white anglo-saxon or nordic.
    It was a little bit Allo Allo. The pompous poseur with the gun, the charming smiley lost boy trainee, the stern senior officer. It brightened my day. Especially since they didn't ask for the second part of the licence.

• Like Like x 3
  4. matamoros

matamoros Funster

Ex Rochdale now Tavira, S. Brittany & Europe
    Second part of licence has not been valid for a while now.

"Since 8 June 2015, the paper counterpart to the photocard driving licence isn’t valid and is no longer issued by DVLA."

From: https://www.gov.uk/government/news/driving-licence-changes

• Like Like x 2
  5. John Laidler

John Laidler Funster

Given it is only four months since 130 people were killed in Paris by terrorists I think they can be forgiven for the lack of smiles and the presence of the big gun.

And they will pull over even the most innocent looking as there could be someone sitting behind the driver pointing a gun at him in order to get driven over a border.

• Like Like x 5
  6. freddy

freddy Funster

I thought the paper licence was no longer valid

7. Dorwyn

Dorwyn Funster

I was not sure at that moment. Perhaps it was the presence of the automatic weapon!

8. iandsm

iandsm Funster

I am perfectly happy to be stopped and checked whatever country I am in, but then I am not criminal or terrorist.

• Like Like x 1
  9. mickyc

mickyc Read Only Funster

The paper licence is still valid (the pink one) but as others have posted, the paper pard of the "card licence" is no longer issued.