Free Member
Aug 27, 2013
North West England
Funster No
MH
KonTiki 640 (an old one)!
Exp
Since 2008
So we just replaced the water pump in our 'leaky' Kon-Tiki 640L 2.5TDi Ducato motorhome. We did this as the pump kept running on after turning off taps. Tank full, good battery charge or on hook up, no airlocks or any obvious signs of leakage anywhere at this point - just a running on pump.

Unfortunately having a new pump didn't solve the problem so we had a new pressure switch fitted by a local service person.

Now we have a new pump and pressure switch but we are now seeing problems that mean we can tweak the dial on the pressure switch to stop any run on as advised in the Whale instructions, however, if we do this when hooked up so it works fine, when we then are running on battery power, we get the running on from the pump again. We then tweak the pressure switch to stop this, only to see that when we then hook up again, we get a continuous clicking noise from the pressure switch.

We have not had this problem at all previously so i wonder can any of you people shed any light on what this possibly could be please as the guy who 'mended things' appears to have no idea !!!

Am willing to bring the motorhome anywhere within reason if we can get the damn thing working again as we are due to go away next weekend for 3 weeks and this is driving us nuts .

Thanks in anticipation of some help and apologies for the long post - just wanted to give as much detail as i could

Debs

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
sounds like a small leak somewhere or a weeping non return valve

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
The pump runs to keep the system pressurised. If it's running on with all taps shut them you have a leak or a weep somewhere.

Surprised the local service person didn't tell you this and test for it before replacing parts.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
DebsD

DebsD

Free Member
Aug 27, 2013
North West England
Funster No
MH
Exp
Since 2008
Thanks guys - you have both confirmed what we've read ourselves. Somewhat annoying when the so called expert doesn't think to check first......... Looks like i shall be having words with this person pretty damned quick !

Thanks again.......am off to drown my sorrows in a large glass of dry white

Feb 26, 2012
Funster No
MH
coach
Exp
Motorhome since 2006 (caravanning 38yrs)
So we just replaced the water pump in our 'leaky' Kon-Tiki 640L 2.5TDi Ducato motorhome. We did this as the pump kept running on after turning off taps. Tank full, good battery charge or on hook up, no airlocks or any obvious signs of leakage anywhere at this point - just a running on pump.

Unfortunately having a new pump didn't solve the problem so we had a new pressure switch fitted by a local service person.

Now we have a new pump and pressure switch but we are now seeing problems that mean we can tweak the dial on the pressure switch to stop any run on as advised in the Whale instructions, however, if we do this when hooked up so it works fine, when we then are running on battery power, we get the running on from the pump again. We then tweak the pressure switch to stop this, only to see that when we then hook up again, we get a continuous clicking noise from the pressure switch.

We have not had this problem at all previously so i wonder can any of you people shed any light on what this possibly could be please as the guy who 'mended things' appears to have no idea !!!

Am willing to bring the motorhome anywhere within reason if we can get the damn thing working again as we are due to go away next weekend for 3 weeks and this is driving us nuts .

Thanks in anticipation of some help and apologies for the long post - just wanted to give as much detail as i could

Debs

Before you blame the 'service person' be aware that this was a constant problem on Whale pressurised systems in caravans years ago.
It is the design of the pressure switch and the way it interprets the available voltage.

However,
If you didn't have a problem originally, why has it been necessary to fit a separate pressure switch now?

Our pump has it's own pressure switch built in.

Incidentally, if the pump didn't run on when the new switch was set (either on battery or hookup) it suggests there aren't any leaks.

OP
OP
DebsD

DebsD

Free Member
Aug 27, 2013
North West England
Funster No
MH
Exp
Since 2008
Hi Eddystone

There was always a separate pressure switch rather than one built into then pump on our MH.

We called in the repair guy as the original problem was the pump running on which is why he said he was going to replace the pressure switch. We took the decision to replace the pump initially as it seemed to be a good starting point given that it was as old as the vehicle (20 years).

Just to clarify things, my comment about not having had the problem previously related to the fact that we now have to tweak the pressure switch setting each time we change from hook up to battery power. This we have never had to do previously.

Thanks again for all your help

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

May 8, 2016
silver coast, portugal
Funster No
MH
C Class: Low profile
Exp
Boatie for 20 years
If it were a leak in the system, I can't see why the power source would make any difference

I think a first step would be to check the voltage to the pump a) whilst on EHU and b) running off the hab battery. A significant difference may account for the constantly cycling (there may be a capacitor in parallel with the pump switch or something in circuit that makes it voltage sensitive).

Could be a problem with the hab battery??

Last edited:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back