Weird stuff from flush

Discussion in 'Auto-Sleepers' started by errpaul, Aug 22, 2009.

1. errpaul

errpaul Funster

We have recently started to get a weird, flakey looking, dark colour substance coming out of the flush along with the water and pink flush chemical.
    It then sticks to the inside of the toilet bowl.
    I had thought it may be some kind of seal from inside the flush tank breaking down, but as yet we have had no leaks.
    Does anyone have an idea what this may be??

Thanks

2. pappajohn

pappajohn Funster Life Member

this has been posted before but cant remember what the outcome was.....

i'll post the tread if/when i find it as it was a very early thread on the forum.

3. pappajohn

pappajohn Funster Life Member

type in the 'search' box on here 'bits in flush tank' then select 'posts'.

theres a thread started by shiftzz.

concensus says its the pink addative causing the problem but i'v never had it and i use pink.

just had a thought though....could be limescale flakes.

Last edited: Aug 22, 2009
  4. activecampers

activecampers Read Only Funster

We have recently started getting the same.
    Put it down to algae....
    Still need to fix it though...

5. DESCO

DESCO Read Only Funster

It is algae I had it many years ago and changed the top soultion to I think it was Elsan can't be sure as my flush now comes from main tank. I know it only came with thetford chemical in use. they stopped putting a chemical in to stop the formation of algae as it is not environmentally friendly. I worked for Kodak at the time and we had the same problem in film processers growing algae

Dave:thumb::thumb:

Last edited: Aug 22, 2009
  6. GJH

GJH Funster Life Member

If it is the "black bits" problem then it is a common one and, as Dave says, seems to be a result of using the Thetford pink.

I see from the thread that John mentioned that we were just about to change to Elsan Organic. We've been using it for a year or so now and it has done away with the black bits. It also works well generally and doesn't have the chemical smell that the Thetford & Elsan blue & green have.

Graham

7. Spacerunner

Spacerunner Read Only Funster

I also get this from the waste water tank. Mind you, most probably got sharks, alligators and giant squid in there!! :Eek!:

When I back washed it through a couple of months ago all sorts came out. Never did find me false teeth tho' :Rofl1:

8. nomadic

nomadic Funster

Pink

Yes, we also suffered with this, and we were advised to reduce the dosage by 50%....it reduced over a couple of weeks, and has never returned:Smile:

Nomadic

9. alf

alf Read Only Funster

Black Bits in Toilet Water Tank

The dark bits is Biofilm it is harmless but looks terrible and I could write chapter and verse about it.
    It occurs when there is a low chlorine level,

to remove put 1/2 cup of non scented bleach in toilet water tank top up to full give motorhome a run to agitate empty flush tank if it is an electric flush just pump out into toilet waste tank empty fill flush tank with clean water and repeat you can remove toilet roll container and inspect tank interior if still black bits left repeat but leave standing 24hrs after agitating again.

on mine I remove toilet roll container and pull the flush hose out of the bowl and allow water to circulate in top tank by holding electric flush on.

It is harmless and once it has occured it will come back when conditions allow it is a moden curse of chlorine in water and a watm temperature it can be terrible in old peoples dwellings

If more info required give me a PM

Alf

10. sinbad1

sinbad1 Deleted User

Yes it is algae does crop up now and again the french have suffered with this problem for some time now and it seems to have spread to the UK :BigGrin::BigGrin:

11. 2bob

2bob Funster

hi all dont use pink no more i use lemon fairy liquid just the same
    dave

12. errpaul

errpaul Funster

Thanks again to everyone for their replies. A few things to try so hopefully we'll get rid of it.
    Only problem is just bought and started another big new bottle of the pink stuff:cry:.