Free Member
Feb 27, 2009
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
11 yrs
We have recently started to get a weird, flakey looking, dark colour substance coming out of the flush along with the water and pink flush chemical.
It then sticks to the inside of the toilet bowl.
I had thought it may be some kind of seal from inside the flush tank breaking down, but as yet we have had no leaks.
Does anyone have an idea what this may be??

Thanks

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
this has been posted before but cant remember what the outcome was.....

i'll post the tread if/when i find it as it was a very early thread on the forum.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
type in the 'search' box on here 'bits in flush tank' then select 'posts'.

theres a thread started by shiftzz.

concensus says its the pink addative causing the problem but i'v never had it and i use pink.

just had a thought though....could be limescale flakes.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:
Jul 28, 2008
Wiltshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Ducato Sportivo
Exp
Since 2005! 2000+ nights so far...
We have recently started getting the same.
Put it down to algae....
Still need to fix it though...

DESCO

Free Member
Mar 11, 2009
London
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
18 years +12 years tugging
It is algae I had it many years ago and changed the top soultion to I think it was Elsan can't be sure as my flush now comes from main tank. I know it only came with thetford chemical in use. they stopped putting a chemical in to stop the formation of algae as it is not environmentally friendly. I worked for Kodak at the time and we had the same problem in film processers growing algae

Dave:thumb::thumb:

Last edited:

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
If it is the "black bits" problem then it is a common one and, as Dave says, seems to be a result of using the Thetford pink.

I see from the thread that John mentioned that we were just about to change to Elsan Organic. We've been using it for a year or so now and it has done away with the black bits. It also works well generally and doesn't have the chemical smell that the Thetford & Elsan blue & green have.

Graham

Spacerunner

Free Member
Apr 7, 2008
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
I also get this from the waste water tank. Mind you, most probably got sharks, alligators and giant squid in there!! :whatthe:

When I back washed it through a couple of months ago all sorts came out. Never did find me false teeth tho' :ROFLMAO:

Sep 27, 2007
Shropshire based
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
started in 2001
Pink

Yes, we also suffered with this, and we were advised to reduce the dosage by 50%....it reduced over a couple of weeks, and has never returned:Smile:

Nomadic

alf

Free Member
Apr 7, 2009
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
Black Bits in Toilet Water Tank

The dark bits is Biofilm it is harmless but looks terrible and I could write chapter and verse about it.
It occurs when there is a low chlorine level,

to remove put 1/2 cup of non scented bleach in toilet water tank top up to full give motorhome a run to agitate empty flush tank if it is an electric flush just pump out into toilet waste tank empty fill flush tank with clean water and repeat you can remove toilet roll container and inspect tank interior if still black bits left repeat but leave standing 24hrs after agitating again.

on mine I remove toilet roll container and pull the flush hose out of the bowl and allow water to circulate in top tank by holding electric flush on.

It is harmless and once it has occured it will come back when conditions allow it is a moden curse of chlorine in water and a watm temperature it can be terrible in old peoples dwellings

If more info required give me a PM

Alf

S

sinbad1

Deleted User
Yes it is algae does crop up now and again the french have suffered with this problem for some time now and it seems to have spread to the UK ::bigsmile:::bigsmile:

OP
OP
errpaul

errpaul

Free Member
Feb 27, 2009
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
11 yrs
Thanks again to everyone for their replies. A few things to try so hopefully we'll get rid of it.
Only problem is just bought and started another big new bottle of the pink stuff:cry:.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back