Weights, licences and all that jazz! (1 Viewer)

Feb 13, 2017
Newcastle
Funster No
MH
2007 N-B Arto 69 EGB
Exp
I'm a newbie
Hi!

I am thinking of buying a Tribute t-736 motorhome and want to be able to lend this out to family members to use.

The maximum authorised weight on the 6 seat-belt option is 3650kg with an MRO of 3120kg.

My wife and I both have C1 licences that pre-date 1997 but some of our family members don’t. Would they be legally allowed to drive this motorhome provided that they manage the payload carefully so that the total weight does not exceed 3500kgs?

Many thanks for any help you can give,

Andy

Jan 2, 2015
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Burstner Solano t725
Exp
since 2014
If it is plated at 3650 kg then it will fall into the PHGV (Private Heavy Goods Vehicle) category and as such any driver will have to hold a C1 licence. You may be able to downrate the weight (search for SV Tech , Uprating, Downrating on here ) but it will leave you very short on the payload, ie the things you want to add such as passengers, driver, water, clothes, food etc.

Upvote 0
Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
With six seats your going to need as much payload as you can get as by the time you add any extras such as solar batteries water gas sat dish etc it will eat into payload so less for passengers

Upvote 0
D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
I was just thinking the same as Alan.

If you're going to be travelling with 6 people in it you're going to be pushing your luck at 3650, never mind down rating it.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

EX51SSS

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
North Manchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis A Class
Exp
since 2007
welcome animated smiley3.gif

Upvote 0
Jan 28, 2008
Dovercourt, Harwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Renalt burstner
Exp
7 years campers before that
& the other 5 people will reduce payload by another 375 kgs.
leaving 155 divided by six give a luggage allowance of approx 26k per person which is ridiculous when you think that has to include cooking and feeding equipment washing stuff both personnel and domestic
no chance of taking bikes a barbque or table for outside

Upvote 0
D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
leaving 155 divided by six give a luggage allowance of approx 26k per person which is ridiculous when you think that has to include cooking and feeding equipment washing stuff both personnel and domestic
no chance of taking bikes a barbque or table for outside

And that assumes travelling dry - no water at all which is absurd, it defeats the object of having a motorhome in the first place.

Not fit for purpose IMHO.

Upvote 0
D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
If it is plated at 3650 kg then it will fall into the PHGV (Private Heavy Goods Vehicle) category and as such any driver will have to hold a C1 licence. You may be able to downrate the weight (search for SV Tech , Uprating, Downrating on here ) but it will leave you very short on the payload, ie the things you want to add such as passengers, driver, water, clothes, food etc.

It's obviously not a possible solution for the OP here but for reference if you're downrating you don't need to use an engineer like SV or JR or anyone else.

You can just fill in the new weight you want, 3500kg for example on the V5 and send it back. You are obviously responsible for ensuring that the vehicle can remain under the new weight so a trip to the weigh bridge is the solution for that. The only other thing you should do is get a new weight plate/sticker and that's simple enough to do on your own.

If you go down from PHGV to PLG you will also have some extra VED liability to sort out but you have to do that yourself anyway.

Upvote 0
Apr 11, 2015
hull
Funster No
MH
Laika Ecovip 300
Exp
since 1988 with breaks until 2009
Look for an early escape 686, 3500, 6 seat belts and 600+ payload, that was with extra battery, awning and bike rack. ours was 2009.
Downside, light weight chassis and you can not fix a tow bar or tow it is not plated for that. We managed to stay within weight limits with 3 adults and 2 children or 2 adults 3 children never tried it with full capacity, but was ok with 4 adults too. admittedly only packed enough for 6 days though then.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Hi!

I am thinking of buying a Tribute t-736 motorhome and want to be able to lend this out to family members to use.

The maximum authorised weight on the 6 seat-belt option is 3650kg with an MRO of 3120kg.

My wife and I both have C1 licences that pre-date 1997 but some of our family members don’t. Would they be legally allowed to drive this motorhome provided that they manage the payload carefully so that the total weight does not exceed 3500kgs?

Many thanks for any help you can give,

Andy
Hi Andy, welcome to the fun house!

First thing I would say is be 'selfish' and buy what YOU both want then if it is suitable for other to use, and you want to let them do so, that's fine, if not then 'tough' ... may sound harsh but the reality is that others don't usually look after your pride and joy like you do, regardless of their good intentions ... what would happen if it was damaged and out of action for a while and you had some holidays planned ... could cause a lot of friction.

If they really want to go with you then get them to go in a car and use a tent/sleep in the awning. No way would I let anyone use our MH ... no chance.

Upvote 0
Jun 16, 2013
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
Low Profile Hymer CL 554
Exp
Since May 2014
I agree with @Minxy Girl. There have been a few mummerings about how great it would be to use our motorhome from family members. We have shut that conversation down quick. I only have to see how they treat their cars and how careless their kids are! It would cause so much upset if anything got damaged. Let them hire a motorhome and you get on that is perfect for you. :)

Upvote 0

EX51SSS

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
North Manchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis A Class
Exp
since 2007
Can't agree more. A few family members have hinted very heavily about using it and SWMBO shuts the conversation down quickly

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back