Weights again (1 Viewer)

Apr 21, 2009
East Cowes, PO32 6RU
Funster No
MH
Caravan
Exp
Caravan since 1970, motorhome or RV since 1999 then back to a caravan in 2017.
[FONT=&quot]I have just been looking at a British Horse Society (bhs.org.uk) webpage that was written in consultation with VOSA.

I believed that, with my C1 (107) licence, I could drive up to 7,500 kg and tow 750 kg (8,250 kg) with the added ability to ‘trade off’ within this overall limit of 8,250 kg. So, as my RV is 6,750 kg, I believed that I could legally tow (8,250 minus 6,750) 1,500 kg.

I have just read “You can tow trailers up to 750 kg with a standard C1 medium-sized vehicle licence as long as the towing vehicle weight isn’t more than 7,500 kg. If you want to tow heavier trailers you’ll need to apply for provisional C1+E entitlement then pass the C1+E test”.

According to this I would be illegal to tow a trailer or car (with an a frame) of more than 750 kg.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]
I also believed that it was illegal to tow a trailer with a maximum plated weight that would exceed the towing vehicles Gross Train Weight even if the trailer was empty.

I have just read “It is perfectly acceptable for a goods vehicle to be used with a maximum plated train weight of less than the combined plated gross weights of the vehicle and trailer, as long as the trailer isn’t actually loaded to the extent that its actual weight would exceed the maximum threshold of the towing vehicle’s maximum plated train weight.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]For example, a towing vehicle with a plated gross weight of 3 tonnes and a plated train weight of 5 tonnes, could feasibly tow a trailer with a maximum gross weight of 3.5 tonnes. However, if both the vehicle and trailer in the combination were loaded to their respective maximum gross weights, then the combination’s maximum train weight would be exceeded by 1.5 tonnes. It’s the actual weight of the vehicle and load which is important in determining a vehicle’s compliance with legal weight thresholds, not the potential carrying capacity.”[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]To say that I am baffled is an understatement![/FONT]

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
Trailer over 750kg and towing vehicle over 3500kg, C1E required!:thumb:

Apr 29, 2012
Holmfirth
Funster No
MH
1990 Gulfstream RV
Exp
30yrs
I am with you on what you said you thought it was, and I am also quite confused with the statement after that. I think there is something missing in what they are trying to say, as I dont know of a 3 ton gross vehicle that can tow more than 3.5 tons as described by the manufacturer. In fact, in 4x4 ads recently they were proud to say it could carry one ton, and also had a towing capability of 3.5 tons. Most recent one I have seen with this info is the Great wall 4x4s. But maybe that is what they are on about with the 5 tons being over by 1.5 tons....dont know.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
lots get down plated then keep their train weight .hope you can see this .
many trucks work on big trailers behind what originally were big carrying capacity trucks . they use the train weights and axle weights as their guide.

many mini artics are built like this its the way forward for many . its been around for years ,but with medicals for over 70,s its now the way to go i think.
these mini artics can be driven on a b+e licence . pre 97 licenses have this automatically .

Attachments

• img005.jpg
    img005.jpg
    96.6 KB · Views: 15

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
code 107 only restricts the trainweight not the weight of the trailer.
750kg is all you can tow behind a fully laden 7,500kg vehicle .

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

cmcardle75

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 8, 2012
Reading
Funster No
MH
Riot Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
I am with you on what you said you thought it was, and I am also quite confused with the statement after that. I think there is something missing in what they are trying to say, as I dont know of a 3 ton gross vehicle that can tow more than 3.5 tons as described by the manufacturer. In fact, in 4x4 ads recently they were proud to say it could carry one ton, and also had a towing capability of 3.5 tons. Most recent one I have seen with this info is the Great wall 4x4s. But maybe that is what they are on about with the 5 tons being over by 1.5 tons....dont know.

5th wheelers. It can't be done done with a tow ball and overrun brakes, as they are restricted to 3500kg, but you can tow a large semi-trailer with a <= 3500kg pickup.

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
can also be done with other style of hitches and air brakes . balls and sliding hitches are out . think of drag trailers .

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back