Weight upgrade (Spanish Motorhome) (1 Viewer)

MickyP

Free Member
May 13, 2012
Alhama de Murcia, Spain
Funster No
MH
Sunlight Cliff 601
Exp
12 years plus
Following many threads here relating to upgrading weight seems fairly straightforward in UK for UK Motorhomes.

Has any of our fellow Spanish reg Motorhome owners any idea how to upgrade a Spanish reg Motorhome.?

Have been quoted 200€ to upgrade to 3650 that's 1650kgs more?

Second question what's the other consequences of upgrading other than cant drive in town with 3500kg limit ?

Last edited:

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
That is one VERY light motorhome is there nothing inside the door?
Surely the 3500kg refers to COMMERCIAL vehicles not MH.

OP
OP
MickyP

MickyP

Free Member
May 13, 2012
Alhama de Murcia, Spain
Funster No
MH
Sunlight Cliff 601
Exp
12 years plus
Following many threads here relating to upgrading weight seems fairly straightforward in UK for UK Motorhomes.

Has any of our fellow Spanish reg Motorhome owners any idea how to upgrade a Spanish reg Motorhome.?

Second question what's the other consequences of upgrading other than cant drive in town with 3500kg limit ?

That is one VERY light motorhome is there nothing inside the door?
Surely the 3500kg refers to COMMERCIAL vehicles not MH.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
MickyP

MickyP

Free Member
May 13, 2012
Alhama de Murcia, Spain
Funster No
MH
Sunlight Cliff 601
Exp
12 years plus
Thank you GWAYGWAY error in line 3 Upgrade 150kgs for 200€ (not 1650kgs as quoted)

This 150kgs would put me inside legality and am aware of C1 Licence issues when I hit 70 but what are the other issues believe one is I would need a go box in Austria (prob other countries as well) Ferries are by length. France tolls by height, are there any other downsides to upgrading? (prob more road tax to Spain)

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Thank you GWAYGWAY error in line 3 Upgrade 150kgs for 200€ (not 1650kgs as quoted)

This 150kgs would put me inside legality and am aware of C1 Licence issues when I hit 70 but what are the other issues believe one is I would need a go box in Austria (prob other countries as well) Ferries are by length. France tolls by height, are there any other downsides to upgrading? (prob more road tax to Spain)
Just some I'm aware of:
  • Reduced speed limits abroad (ie not UK which is based on the vehicle's unladen weight: 3050kg and under same as a car, over 3050kg reduced limits).

• Possibly affect the level of cover/service by your recovery service as you go into the 'commercial' class which often means you don't have cover for things like hotel costs, replacement vehicle etc, but will still have the usual stuff which is vital; it may also mean that you'd need a different recovery vehicle to come to you if you need physically moving by them.

suavecarve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2009
Surrey/Hants
Funster No
MH
Rollerteam 685
Exp
July 09
Switzerland is cheaper to use the vignette. I think its was something like 9 euros for 10 days instead of 35 ish for the year if you were under, so unless you were staying there it is cheaper to pass through. Factual answers on their web somewhere

@Minxy Girl the reduced speed limit thing you mentioned. On the roads in france i see the 3.5 kg seperate speed limits and presumed if you were over 3.5 tonne you are "supposed" to 80 kph instead of 100kph or whatever the local markings say.
But with your information is it that I can do the 100kph as my van (bless her) is 3050 kg unladen but will have 3,900 kg laden as the signs, from memory, say eg "80 kph 3.5 tonne"

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting

Contact @Billy23 as I am sure he mentioned doing an upgrade.

Just some I'm aware of:
  • Reduced speed limits abroad (ie not UK which is based on the vehicle's unladen weight: 3050kg and under same as a car, over 3050kg reduced limits).

• Possibly affect the level of cover/service by your recovery service as you go into the 'commercial' class which often means you don't have cover for things like hotel costs, replacement vehicle etc, but will still have the usual stuff which is vital; it may also mean that you'd need a different recovery vehicle to come to you if you need physically moving by them.
Doesn't matter here as speed limits for motorhomes are lower on autovia & other roads already.

Also most insurers here want a copy of the ficha tecnica which details all & everything about the vehicle so if there is something incorrect it's their problem as they work off of it.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Switzerland is cheaper to use the vignette. I think its was something like 9 euros for 10 days instead of 35 ish for the year if you were under, so unless you were staying there it is cheaper to pass through. Factual answers on their web somewhere

@Minxy Girl the reduced speed limit thing you mentioned. On the roads in france i see the 3.5 kg seperate speed limits and presumed if you were over 3.5 tonne you are "supposed" to 80 kph instead of 100kph or whatever the local markings say.
But with your information is it that I can do the 100kph as my van (bless her) is 3050 kg unladen but will have 3,900 kg laden as the signs, from memory, say eg "80 kph 3.5 tonne"
No, you're mixing up the UK speed limit regs with those abroad. In the UK what speed we are allowed to do in our MHs is based on the unladen mass, whereas abroad it is based on to maximum authorised mass. IMV the system abroad is much better, and easier to use as most of us know what the MAM of our vehicle is. In the UK however I bet a LOT of MHers don't have a clue what the unladen weight of their motorhome is and as a lot of newer ones are heavier straight out of the factory, with little payload if they are registered as 3500kg, you can be sure their MH's unladen mass is over 3050kg so they are unintentionally 'speeding' without realising it.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Doesn't matter here as speed limits for motorhomes are lower on autovia & other roads already.
Can you point me to a website about that please as we're going to Spain in just over a week's time so I think it sensible to check them before we leave seeing as we've upgraded to 4250kg.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back