weight of motorhomes on eurotunnel

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by dewaltman, Oct 20, 2010.

1. dewaltman

dewaltman

I see on the eurotunnel site that maximum weight on passenger trains is 3.5 tons does anyone take any notice,do you travel light to conform or do you book on the freight train the weight of mine is 3.8 mgw thanks

2. Wildman

Wildman Read Only Funster

just book on the length, let them worry about it, hee he

3. dewaltman

dewaltman

funny thing is they appear not to worry about the length but I will probably do what you suggest

4. scotjimland

scotjimland Funster Life Member

Hi .. can you give the link .. I'm on their site but can't see a reference to this

5. Toffs-G

Toffs-G Read Only Funster

As they take coaches on the high top i am surprised at the restirction have travelled numerous times and there have been at least 2 or 3 coaches on there at times especially school holidays.

6. dewaltman

dewaltman

Sorry dont know how to put a link and maybe I 'm confused went to eurotunnel home page,then across top to travel with us section ,scroll down to vehicle types then car over 1.85metres high ,it says maximum weight of vans is 3.5 tons just realised maybe because this section has 2 tiers and doesn't relate to motorhomes

7. scotjimland

scotjimland Funster Life Member

Yes , that is for commercial vans.. I found the info

Van: Any van (including roof box, roof rack or cycles) over 1.85m in height, used for private, tourist or leisure travel. This excludes minibuses, campervans, trailers, caravans, motorcycles and any light commercial goods vehicles carrying commercial goods for resale. Please note, the maximum laden weight for a van on our Passenger service is 3.5 tonnes.

Campervan: Any vehicle which includes living accommodation (including (without limitation) seats, table, sleeping, cooking and storage facilities).

8. Linda and Steph

Linda and Steph Funster

The weight limit is for their insurance cover only, just select that you have your own insurance and you're fine. :thumb:

9. RVfulltimer

RVfulltimer Read Only Funster

Should not be a problem we have travelled on the train a few times with a 34ft rv and a 12 ft twin axle trailer some times we take up a whole carrage ,and the last time they charged me £50 ,hope you get on ok lol and jude.

10. carpyone

carpyone Read Only Funster

Book as a campervan, they do not worry about weight,length or height. I've done it several times, first time I could not belief their laid back approach when the ferries want to know all dimensions to the nearest cm, so I phoned them to clarify. To them a campervan is a campervan whether its 3.5t or3.8t or 12t.

Book and enjoy.

11. ruffingitsmoothly

ruffingitsmoothly Read Only Funster

No problem with the weight of a motorhome we went to Franch via the tunnel with our 36' RV with tow car.

I have always found the staff are so helpful, they even let us on an earlier train at no extra cost:thumb::thumb:

Regards Pat