Free Member
Mar 23, 2008
St Neots
Funster No
MH
VW Campervan
Exp
Since 2001
I have a campervan plated at 3500 kg (3.5 tonne).

If a road has a weight limit sign of 3.5 tonne displayed can I (legally) go down it?

i.e does the the 3.5 tonne limit prohibit vehicles of 3.5 tonne and over OR prohibit just vehicles over 3.5 tonne?

bobandjanie

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 28, 2008
Javea, Spain
Funster No
MH
Pilote V600g
Exp
Hi, if your talking France................We would not go anywhere.:winky: There everywhere:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

That's the rule 3.5t or 7.5t makes no difference.:Doh: If your over the weight on the sign your breaking the law.................Unless it say for access, and there is say a campsite ect.:Smile:

We used to park our Lorry on a farm, and after about 4 years on the road I used to get to the A14 the shortest route, they put a 7.5t weight restriction through the village, but I was exempt even though I was 44t. ::bigsmile: But had the weight restriction been on a Bridge I would not been exempt and would have to go the long way round. :Doh::cry: Bob.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

schojac

Free Member
Apr 25, 2009
Cambridgeshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
new in 2009
According to the highway code the limit should not be exceeded. If you are plated max 3.5 then you are okay - as long as you are not overloaded of course. In which case it would be a double whammy.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
if the road/bridge weight restriction is 3500kg and your van weighs 3500kg then yes, you can use that road.
if your van is 3501kg then no you cant....but whos going to know...have you ever seen VOSA at the end of a restricted road/bridge checking weights?

johnp10

Free Member
Oct 12, 2009
North Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
8 years ish
if the road/bridge weight restriction is 3500kg and your van weighs 3500kg then yes, you can use that road.
if your van is 3501kg then no you cant....but whos going to know...have you ever seen VOSA at the end of a restricted road/bridge checking weights?

Oldun,
You can take that advice to the bank. The limit shown is the threshold, above that is the prohibition.

Ppj,
I havebut many years ago.
With the onset of the graduated fixed penalty scheme for overloading, etc., expect to see them out again.

John.

neilmac

Free Member
Nov 24, 2008
UK, France & Spain
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
2nd year
Simply put the sign says 3.5 ton, that means 3.5 ton maximum weight. So, if your van is rated at 3.5 tons and you're not overweight - no problem :thumb:

OP
OP
O

oldun

Free Member
Mar 23, 2008
St Neots
Funster No
MH
VW Campervan
Exp
Since 2001
Many thanks to you all for the info.

geoff1947

Free Member
May 20, 2008
Plymouth
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
10 yrs
weight limit

Just how many people bother weighing their van fully laden before they depart on their travels!!! We have just returned from Spain via France and went down loads of roads displaying the 3.5 t sign as I was legally allowed to do so.
As my van was new and we were off to Spain last November for the winter, I had mine weighed with wife and full load incl fuel, fridge etc and even tho I was under 3.5, my rear axle weight was exceeded. After dumping some water from the Blue tank at the rear it was fine and I had the weighbridge certificates to prove it. But it just goes to show and for the small sum of £5, I had peace of mind and I now know what I can carry.
My friend who travels with a much bigger van must be well over laded considering what he loads into his garage but he isn't concerned. I just hope he isn't stopped by the local bobby!!!!!!!:Doh:

TonyIsh UK

Free Member
Oct 31, 2008
Funster No
A highway engineer has given some thought to putting the prohibition on the road, and maybe a matter of do you REALLY need to down the road. It maybe narrow, have dangerous overhangs, restircted width and other nasties.

It might be a sat nav moment :Doh:

Rgds

Jul 24, 2009
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1999
For clarification, does 3.5 t mean just the vehicle. What if you are 3.5t and towing a trailer?

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back