Weight Laden etc

Discussion in 'Full Timers' started by Spinout, Apr 20, 2014.

1. Spinout

Spinout Read Only Funster

Hi

I am not sure about this so maybe someone can shed some light.

If the laden weight of my motorhome is 3.1kg. How much extra weight can i put in before it is over the limit.

Please advise.

Many thanks :thumb:

2. pappajohn

pappajohn Funster Life Member

depends on the vans gross weight in the first instance.

Theoretically, if the kerb weight is 3100kg and the gross weight is 3500kg then 400kg is your payload.

BUT......the kerb weight isnt always as you would expect.
    A solar panel or towbar is included in the kerb weight as they are not removable and become part of the van....so a combined 100kg deducted from your payload.

By far the best way is visit a public weighbridge and see what it really weighs when empty then deduct that weight from the maximum weight on the VIN plate under the bonnet.

Sorry, just noticed you say the laden (gross) weight is 3100kg.
    You need to know how much it weighs at the moment with all the stuff onboard then deduct that from the 3100kg which leaves your remaining payload.
    If already over 3100kg you need to lose some weight or risk prosecution if stopped for a roadside weight check..

Last edited: Apr 20, 2014
    • Like Like x 1
  3. rosalan

rosalan Funster

If this IS your laden weight, you may have a very desirable model on your hands.:Laughing:

Alan

4. TheBig1

TheBig1 Funster Life Member

look under the bonnet or on the door pillar of your van and read the figures on the plate. it will show maximum laden weight, max weight on front and rear axles and maximum train weight including a trailer. then take you empty van to a weighbridge and weigh it accurately. the converters tend to put theoretical figures based on an empty van with no extras. once you know what it weighs, subtract that figure from your maximum laden weight. that will tell you how little you have to play with including passengers fuel and belongings.

on a typical van of say 3200kg unladen weight you will only have 300kg including all passengers. pretty much impossible to keep legal. many vans are therefore up-plated to 3850kg, but you need to check your driving licence will allow you to drive above 3500kg

5. Spinout

Thanks for that, as I planned to take a scooter and numerous windsurf board with me!

6. pappajohn

pappajohn Funster Life Member

scooters/motorbikes on a rear mounted rack can be a problem.

Because of the leverage effect the scooter may impose too much weight on the rear axle.

A 100kg scooter may add 150kg to the axle weight depending on rear overhang length etc

Ignorance of the law will not stop you being prosecuted for being overweight

Last edited: Apr 25, 2014
  7. Spinout

Agreed, my plan is to weigh the vehicle before setting off.

8. Puddleduck

Puddleduck Funster

Payload was a big issue for us when deciding which motorhome to buy. It's something we can't compromise on, we need a minimum 450kg payload and many don't have that.