Weighing your motor home

Discussion in 'Tech/Mech General' started by SteveandDenise, Mar 24, 2014.

1. SteveandDenise

SteveandDenise Funster

When we arrived at Newark on Friday morning we noticed the SV Tech were offering a FREE vehicle weighing check, so out of curiosity we decided to get our Motor Home weighed.
    First of all we were told to drive our front wheels onto the weighing scales, and that weight was recorded. We then drove each of our other 2 axels onto the scales and each of the axels weight was recorded. To our amazement we were informed that our GVW was recorded at 5340 kgs which was 340 kgs over weight.
    SV Tech offered us an uprating service of which there would be a charge.
    We were obviously concerned about this, so today we took our Motor Home to a Public Weigh bridge with pretty much the same weight on board, maybe a little bit less water & fuel, and our GVW was recorded at 4780 kgs that is 560 kgs less than what SV Tech recorded on Friday.
    Either the scales that SV Tech were using were not giving out correct readings, or the way in which the scales were used was not correct and subsequently giving out in correct reading by over half a tonne.
    My own feelings are that raising the axel 50mm off the road surface does not give an accurate and true reading on tag axel vehicles.
    If you had your Motor Home weighed by SV Tech, maybe it would be a good idea to go to a Public Weigh Bridge before you spend any unnecessary expenses in uprating your Motor Home.
    S & D

• Like Like x 4
  2. Phill D

Phill D

560 kgs difference is huge :Eeek::Eeek::Eek!:

thats over most peoples full payload...:Doh:

like.... 100 lites ( full water ) + 100 litres of fuel + 4 / 5 adults.

someting desperately amiss there ... have you thought of phoning svtech and telling them:thumb:

3. SIFTA SAM

SIFTA SAM Read Only Funster

I have relayed your message onto Sv Tech.

They ask that you contact Gareth on 01772 621800
    to discuss the stated discrepancy. (which I personally would have already done).

4. Phill D

Phill D

according to one web site your masss in running order is 4330 making your total payload as 670 kgs...

if that is the case THE SVTECH SCALES suggest you were carring over a ton in payload

5. SteveandDenise

SteveandDenise Funster

I have now spoken to Garreth from SvTech and he appreciates This being brought to his attention.

S&D:Smile:

• Like Like x 2
  6. Mikey RV

Mikey RV Funster

What's involved in up rating your motorhome if you want to and does it affect your weight for towing.

7. Phill D

Phill D

its depends on your chassis capability and plated weights.

i.e. mine is Adria plated at 3500, but Fiat plated at 3650, so for me to go up to 3650 its a fairly simple paperwork exercise and a cost of £50 + vat.:thumb:
    if you need to mod your suspension , wheels and tyres then you need deep pockets.:Eeek:

8. mh2sn

mh2sn Read Only Funster

You've correctly identified the problem but it isn't restricted to tag axle vans.
    A van's weight is of course the sum of its axle weights BUT only when they are at the same level.

What SVtech have given you is not the weight of your van but the weight plus the effort (weight) needed to raise each axle individually above a level plane by 50mm. Very poor show from a company who's business is directly in this area.

If you're driving up onto an axle or wheel weighing platform then the result will never be correct.

• Like Like x 2
  9. Phill D

Phill D

hi welcome, interesting first post. whats your experience in relation to your comment please?

10. Mike B

Mike B Funster

It will if you put a 50mm plank under the other wheel (on the same axle). :Smile:

11. MikeandCarolyn

MikeandCarolyn Read Only Funster

er SV Tech were there to get people to use their service,for which they pay,were't they :BigGrin:

Mike

12. mh2sn

mh2sn Read Only Funster

>> hi welcome, interesting first post. whats your experience in relation to your comment please?

Thanks. Physics is my profession. It doesn't have to be motorhome-specific.

>>It will if you put a 50mm plank under the other wheel (on the same axle). :Smile:

Err.. no.
    Drive the first axle of, say, a tag axle combination up onto your (now a pair of) 50mm blocks and the following axle will be unloaded by 50mm transferring a portion of its weight onto the first axle hence increasing the weight of the first axle, which is then recorded.
    Repeat for axle 2 and the same happens in reverse, resulting in an exagerated overall weight being recorded.

Weighbridges that claim to be able to give individual axle weights will have an adjoining apron level with the weighbridge surface on which the remaining axle(s) can sit while the individual axle is being weighed, or even better, weight plates embedded into a level surface.

Any weighing process that involves raising any individual part of the item being weighed will not be accurate. Defying gravity has never had much of a track record :-)

Last edited: Mar 24, 2014
    • Like Like x 2
  13. mike mcglynn

mike mcglynn Funster Life Member

weighing a vehicle

I used to operate a 60 ton capacity weighbridge and imho the right way to weigh a vehicle is on a proper flat scale even though I have seen Vosa weighing with a single axle scale but they are checking to see if your axles are being overloaded I sometimes used to have to do front and back axle weights by means of placing the vehicle at the end of the scale with the other axle off the plate and if done properly it is remarkably accurate as you add up front and back axles and then gross weight of vehicle they should match closely our weighbridge was checked regularly by trading standards officials and calibrated accordingly and it was only a few quid for a public weigh ,I bet everybody gets a surprise when they get their van weighed for the first time .:Smile:

14. Minxy Girl

Minxy Girl Funster Life Member

... so I'm not the ONLY one who thought that .... :BigGrin:

I am always wary of these 'free' checks as the bottom line is that they are there to get into your pockets, like the free battery checks that Halfords do hoping that if one is found to be failing that the owner will be so grateful that they've found out before 'disaster struck' that they'll then buy one from them.

I must admit though that I am VERY disappointed that SVtech 'appear' not to have been aware of this as they have been in the business for a long time! I hope that every owner of a MH they checked which was found to be 'overweight', is subsequently contacted by them and told to get an independent weight check done and WHY this is necessary - this is especially applicable to those who have agreed to have their vehicle uprated!

15. leeboy

leeboy Read Only Funster

Vehicle Weight

Has anyone used, tried or have the Reich caravan/motorhome scales, if so are they any good and accurate?
    Regards,
    Lee.

16. Wildbill

Wildbill Funster

so watt other company's do the same service I was going to get my van done by them are they shysters then

17. Mike B

Mike B Funster

Yes, had a 60kg difference to the weighbridge.

So, how about if I put a plank under three of the wheels and the Reich caravan/motorhome scales under the fourth. Thanks for being gentle in the correction. :Smile: :Smile: :Smile:

18. DuxDeluxe

DuxDeluxe Funster Life Member

That's what happened when I weighed my van. All on the level, front axle, whole van and then rear axle. Surprisingly it all added up and the bonus was 400kg clear even loaded to the gills:thumb:

• Like Like x 1
  19. TheCaller

TheCaller Funster

On a vehicle with two axles, weighing each axle individually & then adding the two together will give a pretty good approximation of the total weight. All other things being equal, the calculated total will be slightly less than the true total because of the weight transfer caused by the axle being weighed being relatively higher than the other one.

But it's a different set if principles when considering a pair of close coupled rear axles. Depending on the way the axles are interconnected & how they are connected to the vehicle body, raising one axle is likely to put more weight on the axle being raised, not less. The amount by which the axle is raised is a significant proportion of the suspension travel, which is the important factor. Once you raise one axle by the suspension travel of the other, all the rear end weight is on the one axle.

• Like Like x 1
  20. SteveandDenise

SteveandDenise Funster

The axels on our van are as you say close coupled It is an Alko chassie therefore the axels are both rigidly mounted with no moving coupling.:Smile: