Weighbridge, tyre pressures and TyrePal

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by Puddleduck, Mar 16, 2015.

1. Puddleduck

Puddleduck Funster

Well it has been to the weighbridge, really pleased!!!! Fully loaded with bikes, awning etc etc, full tank of diesel and 3/4 tank (75 litres-ish) of water and the two of us...... 1600 front axle. 1660 rear. So well over 200kg to play with, and that's with water and ALL the junk (we rarely take it all) in the garage.

So armed with the Continental Tyre Tech Printout we looked up our recommended tyre pressures and off to check at the air line. All the tyres were over inflated. She rides and handles a lot better now they are correctly set. The plate on the door pillar is the original FIAT van base plate and bears no relationship to what Continental recommend.

Home again and fitted the TyrePal. A bit of a fiddle but what a great piece of kit :) Just got it done before the rain started.

Oh and the weighbridge (flat plate type) cost £8.50, well worth the money for peace of mind.

Last edited: Mar 16, 2015
    • Like Like x 11
  2. andy63

andy63 Funster

sounds good Helen , just make sure you clean up the tyre pal sensors from time to time , especially if you have installed them with the lock/security ring with the tiny grub screws.. I left mine too long without lubrication and the little grub screws were seized ...right pain.....
    ta andy

• Like Like x 1
  3. wingman

wingman Funster

Thanks for the tip on the grub screws Andy. What's the best agent to lubricate them with?

BTW, I thought that the definition of a 'grub screw' was sexual intercourse in the lunch hour :D:D

Being serious, those screws are fiddly. I take the wheel trims off to make the job easier. That said, TyrePal is a great bit of kit.

• Like Like x 1
  4. colinw

colinw Read Only Funster

Acf 50 is a good lubricant / rust inhibitor .

• Like Like x 2
  5. funflair

funflair Funster Life Member

A bit of Vaseline as lubrication/protection.

I am being serious.

• Like Like x 2
  6. colinw

colinw Read Only Funster

A damn site cheaper if it is as effective !

7. Puddleduck

Puddleduck Funster

Thanks for the heads up Andy.

Petroleum jelly.... brings back memories of playing in an orchestra - no not what you are thinking (randy musicians, I know) but PJ was used as an aid to slide the instruments together and apart.... nearly said lubricating the mouth pieces but we are back to you lot misconstruing randy musicians again ........

8. hilldweller

hilldweller Funster Life Member

Just to be nosey, how different ?

9. Puddleduck

Puddleduck Funster

About 20 psi...... the plate in the door says high 60s or 70 something (above the max rating for the Continental Camper Tyres, which I know is for the US market but even so) different for front and back, and the Continental Tech says 51 at the front and 53 at the back :)

Numbers might not be quite right as this is from memory.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Malcolm Bolt

Malcolm Bolt Funster Life Member

K Y jelly obviously not in vogue anymore then. Sos still in the bar in Castro Marim. I liked it here last year and it is just as chilled now. Can't get over how cheap it is to get by here. Portuguese telly showing Premier League. Liverpool on, so eldest son would be proud. (bit boring so far)

11. Nigel&Debbie

Nigel&Debbie Read Only Funster

Hi Brian @hilldweller . The Fiat recommended pressures on the door pillar on my 2013 Fiat Ducato autotrail (225/75x16) is 79.5 psi front and rear.

Having spoken to Continental themselves, the actual recommended pressures (having been to weighbridge) are:
    Front @ 1830kgs 47.1PSI or @2100kgs 58 PSI (for a 116R Vanco Camper tyre)
    Rear @ 2450kgs 68.8 PSI or @2600kgs 72.5PSI ( for a 121/120R Vanco2 tyre)

Even at max permissable loading, nowhere near the 79.5PSI quoted by Fiat. The difference is both ride and performance is really noticable (for the better)

• Like Like x 1
  12. Nigel&Debbie

• Like Like x 2
  13. hilldweller

hilldweller Funster Life Member

Thanks, I go by the door pillar, using Avons, which is 79psi. Tyre wear is even across the tyre. Interesting though.

14. Nigel&Debbie

It would be worth an email to Avon themselves to see what they recommend.

• Like Like x 2
  15. colinw

colinw Read Only Funster

Having weighed my van the other day , I set my tyre pressures to the continental recommended pressures of 44psi front ( 1450kg ) and 55psi rear ( 1800kg ) . the ride has been transformed to a more stable less rattly ride . the van is a pleasure to drive .

• Like Like x 2
  16. Southampton

Southampton Funster Life Member

Out of interest I have tyre pal and they recommend setting the upper limit 20% above the inflated pressure. My front pressures are 70 so I set the upper pressure to 84psi. Whilst coming home from Spain the alarm kept going off because the pressures had reached 85/86 psi. I assume due to road/air temperature being high. Anybody else experienced this with Tyrepal? What percentage upper limit do you set?

• Like Like x 1
  17. funflair

funflair Funster Life Member

Hi @Southampton, not sure what our upper limit is but I watch the display quite a lot and of front tyres are on 60 psi cold and might go to about 70 psi running/hot, rear 4 are just over 50 cold and go to about 60.

Don't know what tyres you have on or what your axle weight and speed is but I would not expect quite this much increase, we were running Conti fourseasons tyres in Spain so I would have expected a touch more heat from these because of the tread pattern and the compound.

Martin

18. Southampton

Southampton Funster Life Member

Thanks @funflair i have a tag axle probably running at max weight 5000kgs on the way home (2000 front and each of the back axles at 1500) Tyres are Michelin Agilis all round. I was travelling around 60-65mph most of the way. I am going to set the upper limit to 87psi and keep an eye on it when we go to Southport next week. I guess in UK the pressures will get up to about 80psi on that run. I am not concerned as all 6 wheels got up to those pressures at one time or another on the way home. Just interested what others have experienced.

19. NickNic

NickNic Funster Life Member

Mine increase by about 10psi from cold to hot as well.

• Like Like x 1
  20. ivorantony

ivorantony Funster

Perhaps of interest but you can buy a straight through tyre sensor from Tyrepal that doesn't have to be removed to pump up the tyres,

I didn't bother with the grub screws! If anybody wanted to nick them they could well bugger up the tyre valves with the possibility of leaving me stranded with flat tyres,