weighbridge (probably a silly question)

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by DavidG58, Jul 1, 2014.

1. DavidG58

DavidG58 Funster

I am wanting to check my MH load, both total weight and each axle

Question, when I measure the front and rear on their own does it matter how far on to the weighbridge the vehicle is

My simple mind says the further on you go the more it will weigh, :doh: but was not good at physics at school

2. chaser

chaser Funster

Can't see it making any difference , the weighbridge is going to weigh your axel wherever it is on the platform still got your other one on the ground as long as it's level, if it's on a slope getting on , it might make a slight difference but nothing that would make much difference

• Like Like x 1
  3. Mousy

Mousy Funster Life Member

David, not sure of the physics either, we just drove on and off and on and stopped etc whilst the bloke in the office shouted at us, worked for us. (Insert thumbs up smiley thing here!)

• Like Like x 1
  4. DuxDeluxe

DuxDeluxe Funster Life Member

When I weighed the new van the guy on the weigh bridge said he could not accurately weigh the front and rear axles as they were at the ends of the bridge - response was I only needed an indication so that was OK. it should not make too much of a difference as long as both wheels are well on to the weigh bridge

• Like Like x 1
  5. Forestboy

Forestboy Funster Life Member

Hi
    I used to own several weighbridges and it makes no difference as long as the vehicle is level. Some bridges have a ramp one end and flat ground at the other end always weigh axles on the flat side ,
    Hope this helps

• Like Like x 3
  6. DavidG58

DavidG58 Funster

Multiple thanks to all above

7. DuxDeluxe

DuxDeluxe Funster Life Member

Yep - ramp at both ends which I guess is why he said he could not weight accurately

8. SomeoneElse

SomeoneElse Funster

In an earlier life I installed a 60 tonne weigh bridge. when the weights and measures guy came to certify it he brought 12 tonnes of calibrated weights. The first test was to put these on each corner in turn. He knew the exact weigh of the weights, he then added small weights until the scales clicked over to the next 10kg.
    10kg was the accuracy of the scales, the variation allowed between corners was tiny. As others have said the ground adjacent to the bridge must be level to compare axial weights.
    When I had my MoHo weighed locally I had to drive the front wheels on and a reading was taken, then I drove completely onto the scales and a second reading was taken. The print out then included the difference between the two readings as the weight of the read axial.

• Like Like x 1
  9. DavidG58

DavidG58 Funster

Just reviewed my own question and had a flash of inspiration

So sat down....

I now presume that the front axle weight added to the rear axle weight should be the same as the total weight?

Edit

or as just now posted before this, just weigh the front, then the whole, presume the rear

I still fancy having three measurements then seeing if it all adds up right

10. Forestboy

Forestboy Funster Life Member

That's right 10kg is the accuracy all weighbridges must comply with and it must comply anywhere on the weighbridge especially ends and corners as these points get the most wear and tear. Personally I always weigh both axles as well as the whole vehicle just belt and braces really.

• Like Like x 1
  11. funflair

funflair Funster Life Member

Hi David

If there is any ramp on or off the weigh bridge you could do front rear and total and you could work out what affect the ramp had in any, you could then be our resident expert on weigh bridge measurements(y).

Post and let us know when you have been.

Martin

• Like Like x 1
  12. TheCaller

TheCaller Funster

My technique is to drive on & stop just before the rear wheels come on. So you get front axle only, but fairly well onto the pad.
    Then whole vehicle.
    Finally drive so the the front axle is just off the pad, leaving the rear as far on as it can be.

On a well set up weighbridge, it really shouldn't matter how far the wheels are from the ends, but no harm in centring as much as possible.

On the weighbridge I use, it's a contribution to the Friday night fish & chip fund, rather than a formal fee. No printout, just read off the display. So nothing extra for the 3 separate weighs. It's not a public weighbridge & I know it gets a lot of hammer, so I'm not surprised when the two individual weights don't add exactly to the total (slightly over), but it's close enough for my purposes.

With 120kg of electric wheelchair to carry we are tight on payload. The van has a big water tank for a PVC, so I can't fill it up & carry wife & wheelchair. Fine when on my own though. :wink:

• Like Like x 2
  13. John Laidler

John Laidler Funster

I would suggest weigh the complete vehicle then drive forward so the front wheels are not on the weighbridge and then weigh again. Providing the vehicle is level you can subtract one from 'tother and you will have the front axle weight as well.

• Like Like x 1
  14. wingman

wingman Funster

Is there a fee for using a public weighbridge?
    AND
    Do you just turn up at one? Or make an appointment.

15. DavidG58

DavidG58 Funster

I am lucky, one of my customers just down the road has a weighbridge, going to use that

But a few years ago I had a problem with a caravan and the dealer wanted nose weights, paid about £3 a measure at a public weighbridge, with printouts

I think dear old Google will give you your local 'public weigh bridges'

(y)

16. pappajohn

pappajohn Funster Life Member

Depends on the operator/owner.

If you just want verbal weights i doubt they would charge...but dont bank on it.
    Documented weights will incur a charge for the printed ticket.

Just turn up and wait your turn if its busy.

17. Ed Excel

Ed Excel Funster

I found a builders merchant with a weighbridge. They weigh the vehicles that collect materials. I usually get my gas from them so they let me run the van over their bridge for nowt.

18. Mousy

Mousy Funster Life Member

We stumbled onto one in the Cotswolds whilst away, we were fully loaded, we were charged £10 but it was worth every penny because it showed we had 220 kilos spare...more cream cakes for us!

• Like Like x 1
  19. DavidG58

DavidG58 Funster

Nice one Dawn, I presume you had drunk all your gin ;)

20. TheBig1

TheBig1 Funster Life Member

• Like Like x 1