weighbridge - it seemed like a good idea

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by DavidG58, Apr 21, 2015.

1. DavidG58

DavidG58 Funster

Oh dear, decided to check weight of MH, never bothered before, happily telling myself it is huge, 5ton total weight we must have masses of payload

Hmmm

Have a friendly customer with weighbridge just down road on way to get gas (that's another story / thread refillables) anyway, weighed front whole and rear, after some discussion we even moved back and forward on each individual axle to see what difference it make (not enough to worry about)

But for me it might just make the difference, I filled brim full with fresh water, both grey and black totally empty, gas half full? no gauge half tank of diesel

Me driving, took Lola for drive (52kg) so she matters, but no Bev!!

Total 5140kg limit 5000kg

Front 1660kg limit 2000kg

Rear 3340kg limit 3500kg

So frustratingly compliant on each axle but still overweight

Not packed many clothes yet, so going to have a serious chat with the contents of the garage

Just fitted VS rear suspension and E + P jacks on the basis that I thought I had masses of payload, they added about 100kg between them, by the time the original springs have been removed

Disappointed and more than a little confused, I am going to see if the weight can be uprated, seems odd that both axles are under limit but total is over

• Like Like x 1
  2. Dawn B

Dawn B Funster

• Like Like x 6
  3. DavidG58

DavidG58 Funster

That's why I bought a big German MH, you don't see many lightweights over there

But in direct answer - no, I did get on weighbridge myself, 120kg, must look at starting that diet, maybe after the next trip :D

• Like Like x 2
  4. DanielFord

DanielFord Funster

I had totally the opposite, finally got to the local weigh bridge, limit 4005, actual 3530 with full diesel full water and all the stuff we keep in her.
    In my mind that means I can buy 500kg's of gadgets! :D

• Like Like x 5
  5. jonandshell

jonandshell Funster

The extra allowable load the individual axles is to allow for uneven loading.

Our axle weights add up to 4400 kg, but the gross is only 3850 kg.

The good news is that such generous axle weights make uprating by the likes of SV Tech a very straightforward paper exercise.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Neilfg

Neilfg Funster

Or perhaps loose 30kg replate and save money on insurance, ferries, tolls, recovery services and best of all virtually anybody could drive it (y)

Thats seems alot over, appreciate that all the plush furnishings weigh abit, but what exactly have you got in that garage?

• Like Like x 1
  7. DanielFord

DanielFord Funster

I know it isn't allowed, but: lose I think you'll find, loose means not tight :D (don't take it serious, only meant in jest)

You were doing so well until you said anyone could drive it!!! That was enough to give me the heebie geebies! The thought of someone else driving my van is a bit like someone else wearing my underpants!! :D

• Like Like x 6
    • Funny Funny x 1
  8. DavidG58

DavidG58 Funster

I haven't got time before we go away, but I will take it back empty when we get back, will take out as much as I can before Friday and just be careful on how much booze we try to bring back :)

• Like Like x 3
  9. DavidG58

DavidG58 Funster

Have just remembered we are still carrying 2 spare gas cylinders in garage, 13kg one 3/4 full, that will help!!

• Like Like x 1
  10. NickNic

NickNic Funster Life Member

Weight makes no absolutely no difference to insurance. Never been asked the plated weight when getting insurance quotes and when we uprated ours I rang the insurers just to check and they weren't in the slightest bit interested. Also being over 3500kg you save money on the tax disc (y) All the tolls I've been through are based on vehicle dimensions not weight and especially in France if it comes up with Class 3 just press the button, tell them you are a camping car and they will change it to Class 2. Don't know about ferries as we always use the tunnel where, again, weight isn't relevant or even asked for. Recovery maybe if you have it as a separate item but for us it's part of the insurance so again the weight makes no difference. (y)

• Like Like x 1
  11. Neilfg

Neilfg Funster

You are correct, thank you for spotting the deliberate mistake, I did ponder it and almost went for '..get rid of ..' instead, thinking that no one would dare comment! :sneaky: (BTW: No offence taken)

• Like Like x 2
  12. DanielFord

DanielFord Funster

The obvious upside was missed, I wouldn't have enough payload to carry the wife, so I'd have to get a trailer! :coolest:

[edit to add the negative] note to self concentrate on one thing at a time

• Like Like x 2
  13. DanielFord

DanielFord Funster

Do you know, I have never bothered to look at what comes up on the toll charges, I just put in my credit card, I will look out for it next time.
    A valuable tip has been learned today! :D

• Like Like x 3
  14. Milliemobile

Milliemobile Funster

Um, we are taking ours to be weighed when back in Uk after so many recent posts on here.
    Only a PVC but we have changed the layout twice, we originally had about 500 to play with, having since remove a wine cooler an microwave and think the new layout is lighter. Hope we are ok.
    The dogs are 100kg between them!

• Like Like x 1
  15. PaulyP

PaulyP Funster

Put mine on weighbridge weeks ago, just me, half water, quarter diesel, no swmbo, dogs, food, drinks or clothes.
    Plated at 3500, came in at 3560.
    Got to remember since built it now has awning, solar panel, sat dome and microwave added to weight, went on line and filled in paperwork for Sv Tech, just about to phone them this morning when the post arrived with the invoice, paid it and phoned them.
    It is now 3850 so got plenty to spare and purely a paperwork exercise.
    :):)

• Like Like x 1
  16. Lenny HB

Lenny HB Funster

Makes us look like lightweights 120kg is more than the two of us.:LOL:

17. NickNic

NickNic Funster Life Member

You should be Class 2 if you're less than 3m high and Class 3 over 3m no matter what weight you are but they will usually let you get away with Class 2 in a MH whatever. A lot of the time it may only be a few cents so it's more about the principle than saving loads of money.

18. DavidG58

DavidG58 Funster

Glad to hear it went through so easily, but you haven't gained 'plenty' full diesel, water, wife and dogs even without food / booze will take most of the gain I would have thought, unless you have really small wife (y):)

• Like Like x 1
  19. Milliemobile

Milliemobile Funster

Anyone know approximate weight of wind out awnings and a 200w solar panel?

20. DavidG58

DavidG58 Funster

one of us is wrong, I like to think you might both just be anorexic :D:D