Weekend Away: Stanmore Hall, Bridgnorth (1 Viewer)

Sep 3, 2013
Crowthorne, Berkshire
Funster No
MH
1992 RMB Silver Star 670
Exp
One year. A whole one!
Last weekend, we took Udo away up to Shropshire for a long weekend.

I'd booked Udo in with Dave Newell at LVS to get his water heater and gas sorted, so that was the first stop.

Dave and Jackie were really helpful. Jackie gave us free museum passes for the local attractions whilst Dave got on with getting Udo in better shape.

First thing was that the secondhand refillable underfloor tank (that I'd bought from the German dealer who I bought Udo from) wouldn't fit. Bit annoying but I'll chalk it up to experience. The upside to this was that Udo would get two brand new 11kg Alu-Gas tanks in his gas locker instead. That gives us 42 litres of LPG.

So off Dave went to get those fitted and mated to a very discreet filler in Udo's side skirt. Plus a hidden outside barbecue point. Perfect!

Udo's water heater problem was a very old blown element. No issues there. Dave replaced that.

So off we went in a hired Astra from Enterprise in Telford to some local museums for the day. The museums (thanks to LVS) were all free. :thumb:

By 4pm, Udo was ready, but we'd booked into a PremierInn for the night just in case he wasn't. No problem there. They made sure their CCTV was in range of Udo and we parked the Astra close to Udo's door as a further precaution.

The next day, we'd booked us and a few friends into Stanmore Hall in Bridgnorth. It's a 5-star Caravan Club site. I booked two super-pitches as a further precaution but that meant we also got loads of room. It was £30 per night but the facilities were excellent. Very quiet, amazingly clean, huge pitch, etc.

So, some photos....

Udo at Stanmore Hall. You can see the very discreet black LPG fill point just below his gas locker.

9dd6a9bb63309b94a98a50596b1305ab.jpg

It was recently my daughter (Alice) and one of our friends (Cy) birthdays, so we bought a cake and some candles for them.

34e1c6ac55c32497cc4b961dae4303be.jpg

Udo's UK registration. I was massively pleased when my son pointed out that the UK plates fit inside the German plate holders. Small details like this really made my day.

360007bc9042c01b8377f6a7229b73e3.jpg

Dave's neat LPG installation. Notice the red and very discreet barbecue point to the left. Really happy with this!!

331c4f776dbb1794dd89a082d51ac2cc.jpg

This caused us so much grief on Saturday morning!! Each switch activates the twin leisure battery charging. Switches down mean no EHU charging. No EHU either, so we discovered. Saturday morning red light on control panel. NOTHING was working. No heat, nothing. The Webasto couldn't even light. Much head scratching and we noticed one of these switches was off. Switched it back on and all was well again. But it took us 2 hours to figure it out...

4927c290cec9875e8520b65680699617.jpg

Finally, thanks to Alice being sick on Udo's carpet on Friday night due to a heavy cough, I brought forward steam cleaning Udo's carpets. Didn't take too long to make them look and smell FAR nicer again. Spraying them with dilute Autoglym All Purpose Cleaner beforehand helps shift the dirt even quicker.

57ceb63c08271b288fea217bb7086a8c.jpg

871ef5b484dd80d0d715e91d7b516317.jpg

So that was 4 days well spent. Thanks to Dave Newell and Jackie. :thumb:

And we'll be back at Stanmore Hall to explore more of Shropshire.

Jul 29, 2011
Urmston, Manchester
Funster No
MH
Former owner.
Exp
June 2012
Looks like you were in the end bay opposite the lake.
Same spot we had when we were there, had the peacock and his girls on rhe grass next to us, nice site.

OP
OP
Bellini
Sep 3, 2013
Crowthorne, Berkshire
Funster No
MH
1992 RMB Silver Star 670
Exp
One year. A whole one!
We were in the middle at the rear. We had our backs to the lake.

The peacocks were there.

Ironbridge had just reopened after the floods. Really surprised how much there is to see and do around there.

These trips, especially in the early days of new vehicle ownership, highlight what things need to be done. In the gusty crosswinds along the M42 and M5, I've elevated getting Udo's rear suspension sorted. There's nothing wrong other than a bit of sag, but he was squirming around a lot so I think the bushes also need replaced as well as some stiffening up.

Anyone able to recommend a good leaf suspension repairer who could do the work?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back