We think the turbo has gone bust (1 Viewer)

Scattycat

Free Member
Jan 3, 2013
Mayenne, France
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
Since 2010
Any ideas what the cost to supply and fit a new/re-con turbo would be for a 2008 Citroen Jumper/Jumpy 2.2 is likely to be?
Just set off on our trip to Italy to meet up with some of the family, 10 km down the road the felt like it was mis-fireing and came to a stop. Started it and turned around to go back to our local garage and after a couple of km the engine started racing out of control. I pulled into a farm entrance, turned off the engine, counted to 10, ('cause it seemed like a good idea), tried to start again but nothing.
Breakdown truck arrived and towed us to the local garage but, this is France, they were shut on Monday.
Now it's August and most things are closed down it could be a couple of weeks before we are up and running again.

Nov 14, 2009
normandy
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
16 years
hi mike , i know its not the same engine but i had a similar problem with my sprinter , engine revving all over the place and no power. turned out it was the turbo actuator valve which uses a vacuum to control the turbo. £125 and half hour and good as new! hope yours is something similar

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Lot lover

Free Member
May 13, 2016
Lot, France
Funster No
MH
Le Voyageur Integral
Exp
New boy
Scattycat, as you know French garages are not inclined to fit parts that they have not supplied so you can't even source one on the interweb and save a few hundred €.

But look on the bright side, it happened 10km from home and not on the M20 2 weeks ago.

Bonne chance anyway

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Doesn't sound like turbo to me , did the breakdown man say it was.

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
If it was racing out of control because of a turbo oil seal failure and the Diesel engine was running on engine oil it should have been accompanied by lots of light coloured smoke and a very very oily exhaust.

Martin

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
If it was racing out of control because of a turbo oil seal failure and the Diesel engine was running on engine oil it should have been accompanied by lots of light coloured smoke and a very very oily exhaust.

Martin
Under those circumstances it would not have been possible to stop it by turning off at the key.

OP
OP
Scattycat

Scattycat

Free Member
Jan 3, 2013
Mayenne, France
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
Since 2010

Martin
Yep, that's about the size of it regarding the smoke but I didn't check the exhaust.
After I turned the engine off I left it a couple of minutes and tried to re-start it but the starter wouldn't turn the engine over but it would an hour or so later

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Was a newbie, now a Middie.
but the starter wouldn't turn the engine over
Dont like the sound of THAT!! Could be a cylinder is hydraulicing, fuel, oil or worse water entering the cylinder in such amounts that it stops the piston reaching TDC.

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Was a newbie, now a Middie.
Er, daft question, but you haven't by pure chance filled up with the wrong fuel?? o_O

Derbyshire wanderer

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 30, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
15 years
Er, daft question, but you haven't by pure chance filled up with the wrong fuel?? o_O

Only if it was crappy deisel

Did you fill up at all just before it became faulty? If so, a sample needs taking before fitting anything.

It has been known more than once for a garage to end up with the wrong fuel in their tank.

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Under those circumstances it would not have been possible to stop it by turning off at the key.

Turning the key off stops the fuel but you are right it could take a little while to stop running on oil, happened to a friend of ours and it did stop but reluctantly.

Martin

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Did you fill up at all just before it became faulty? If so, a sample needs taking before fitting anything.

It has been known more than once for a garage to end up with the wrong fuel in their tank.
You may laugh , but I always make sure the nozzle I am useing is connected to the proper pump, it would be quite easy for some wag to put the wrong nozzle in the wrong pump, think about it(y):(

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
Any ideas what the cost to supply and fit a new/re-con turbo would be for a 2008 Citroen Jumper/Jumpy 2.2 is likely to be?
Just set off on our trip to Italy to meet up with some of the family, 10 km down the road the felt like it was mis-fireing and came to a stop. Started it and turned around to go back to our local garage and after a couple of km the engine started racing out of control. I pulled into a farm entrance, turned off the engine, counted to 10, ('cause it seemed like a good idea), tried to start again but nothing.
Breakdown truck arrived and towed us to the local garage but, this is France, they were shut on Monday.
Now it's August and most things are closed down it could be a couple of weeks before we are up and running again.
Any updates in this? Did you get it sorted ok?

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back