We survived!!

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by Coolbeanz, Apr 9, 2013.

1. Coolbeanz

Coolbeanz Funster

well we are now back from our first motorhome trip and I have to say it was great fun in spite of the freezing weather and my chest infection!! We didn't forget anything important and Glynn coped great with his first time of driving abroad, albeit with me constantly whispering "hug the kerb" to him. We went to the Tour of Flanders before exploring Belgium, Luxembourg (stunning) and France on an all too short 10 day break.
    We discovered some interesting things:
    1. Mouthwash freezes if it gets cold enough at night and fairy liquid and olive oil turn thick and cloudy!! :Eek!:
    2. When the motorhome warms up the mouthwash melts and the olive oil and fairy liquid return to normal as if nothing has happened!! :thumb:
    3. I respond well to heavy doses of anti-biotics and managed to do my first 100km ride along the river Meuse in France, not bad for an old bird!! (smug grin) :Wink:
    4. Some campsites have a bizarre habit of only opening the mens toilets in low season which really annoyed me as I don't want to walk in and see men at urinals and sit on a toilet with no seat!! Surely the womens block being open would make more sense?? :Eek!:
    5. No amount of up/down/left/right rotation resulted in a TV signal from our satellite so that needs some guidance on. :RollEyes:

I now have a shopping list of wants/desires/needs and will make sure I have my credit card at the ready at the Peterborough show. :Rofl1:

• Like Like x 6
  2. ourcampersbeentrashed

ourcampersbeentrashed Funster

congratulations on your first trip and hope you are now fully well.

You will have a great time at Peterborough so dont spend too much

• Like Like x 1
  3. RogeTeri

RogeTeri Read Only Funster

That sounds so exciting and makes me quite envious. So glad you had a great time. Hope to bump into you at the Peterborough show, (not literally), my reversing is getting better. Peterborough will be my first outing in my van and I hope it will bring me the opportunity to learn very quickly. No idea what I'm doing, what I need, what I don't need, but after 4 days camping, I hope I will have a better idea and have learned something from the experts! My God I need to as on 1st. June SWMBO will be joining me on our trip to Portugal. I must have something right by then!

• Like Like x 1
  4. Peter & Elaine

Peter & Elaine Funster

Be carefully to buy the needs first desires may have to wait

• Like Like x 1
  5. mitzimad

mitzimad Funster

6. scousebird

scousebird Funster

Glad you enjoyed it. We live for our next trip abroad :BigGrin:

7. Carol

Carol Funster Life Member

Seems you made a success of your first trip even in the cold, there is no better way to find out what is what than getting out and doing it, enjoy Peterborough.

8. Reallyretired

Reallyretired Funster

4. If you search inside your van you will find a toilet, just stick a 'Ladies' sign on it and your problem is solved.
    5. There's nothing on the telly :Smile:

• Like Like x 4
  9. Coolbeanz

Coolbeanz Funster

definitely agree about the tV but if I am being charged 22 Euros for a night on a campsite the least I expect is a nice hot shower in the ladies section :BigGrin:

• Like Like x 1
  10. Reallyretired

Reallyretired Funster

:Eeek::Eeek: Haven't you heard of ACSI :Eeek::Eeek:

11. Coolbeanz

Coolbeanz Funster

Yes, I have all the books from France Passion to ACSI but we needed a site close enough to cycle in to watch the Tour of Flanders and the best ones were fully booked. Now that we have our first trip under our belt I would be happy to use an Aires or wild camp next time. :Smile:

12. Heyupluv

Heyupluv Read Only Funster

I have to agree with mitzimad......and many of the male urinals are open for public view:RollEyes:....as is many of the lorry and car drivers on the road in full view when passing water:Doh:...if fact a good few of the toilets (restaurants )you have to go through the men's urinals the get to a ladies sit type loo. (seat Whooo now that is luxury)..

Or on many of the male / female exterior loos just have a ceramic hole in the ground with two places to place your feet.....

I have even seen on scenic public car park toilet where a couple middle aged (early 60s) in full conversation...went to the toilet the female held the door open....still in full conversation...while the male passed water in the hole in the ground type....then the female went into the toilet while the male held the toilet door open...Still in FULL CONVERSATION .....now that must have been a very important conversation....

We have two toilets at our house in France...BUT OUR neighbour (male) when they come round for a meal insist he goes onto the patio to peee:Doh:

It is does not seem a big problem here:Eeek:.....you may even see somebody peeing at the side of your car or the outside of the supermarket...etc...

Use your own inbuilt toilet:thumb:Job sorted:RollEyes::thumb:

I am glad you enjoyed your trip abroad:thumb:

Mel

Last edited: Apr 10, 2013
    • Like Like x 1
  13. kiwicamper

kiwicamper Read Only Funster

I do envy you lot being able to flit across to the Continent at the drop of a hat.
    The nearest land mass to us it 3000 k's away and if you do take your motorhome to Oz , they charge you an enormous surcharge , in case you don't re export it. Makes it just about impossible to take your motorhome over and travel around that magnificent country. Something I would love to do.

Mind you French toilet habits are something else

• Like Like x 3