Apr 15, 2015
Doncaster
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet.
Exp
I'm a newbie
Hello to everyone.
We are renting a motorhome in August to tour the uk for 3 weeks with our two little kids. It will be our first time driving and living in a motorhome. We do not have our itinerary planned yet but we plan on doing southern Scotland,Lake District, Cotswolds, Devon and Cornwall. Any tips on places to see and stay would be greatly appreciated. We are not great walkers/hikers but we are history buffs and we love scenic places and places that are safe for the kids to run around and let off steam. We plan to self cater/ BBQ depending on the weather.

Thanks in advance for any help or info.

ps. we are hiring a Bailey Approach 765

jollyrodger

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 1, 2012
Devon/Cornwall
Funster No
MH
'Obby
Exp
Since 1968'ish
Hi from Devon

animated-gif-emoticons.jpg

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Welcome, I can recommend Treloan campsite at Portscatho, Cornwall. It should have room but there are lots of other sites in the area. It is right on the coast with beaches etc.

mike mcglynn

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jan 6, 2008
St. Helens MERSEYSIDE
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Warwick XL
Exp
A long time now
Hi,I dont know if you are familiar with driving a wide vehicle but up in Scotland I saw 2 hired vans that had smashed the offside mirrors to pieces ,so be warned apart from that have a great time (y)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Jam1996

Jam1996

Free Member
Apr 15, 2015
Doncaster
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet.
Exp
I'm a newbie
If we don`t stay on campsites what are our other options? Where is it legal and safe to stop overnight?

CJB

Free Member
Feb 26, 2013
Kent
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
1 year
Seriously consider booking all your sites asap especially if you want child friendly.

BONZO

Free Member
Mar 1, 2012
Rotherham
Funster No
MH
Kon tiki 30ft
Exp
Hi and welcome. Scotland is a very esey place to tour lots of stopping places .but with having kids I would stick to sites .

Oct 15, 2012
Market Harborough
Funster No
MH
C Class Laika Ecovip 7R
Exp
Hi and welcome to FUN, that a lot of miles to dive with small children in a vehicle your not use to you might be better just restricting yourself to one or two sites. August will be expensive and there are not too many safe places to wild camp in the UK which is why a lot of people go over to the Continent but would your hire company allow that? anyway good luck and have fun. (y)

Dec 12, 2010
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 2011
I think you could happily spend 3 weeks in any one of the destinations you've mentioned. Cornwall to Southern Scotland is almost 500 miles, are the kids good travellers ?
Seriously have a rethink, don't set yourselves up to fail in this wonderful hobby (y)

Apr 14, 2015
Prone
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
You really will struggle to do that itinerary. You could spend two weeks just in Southern Scotland and not see it all. Plus, in August the motorways are busy, the areas you have chosen, particularly Cornwall and the Lakes will be overflowing and, of course, a motorhome does not travel at the speed of the car. Unless you want to spend 8 hours a day driving I would rein in your ambitions. Plenty of time for other trips

Brian and Jo

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 24, 2007
oswestry,shropshire
Funster No
MH
A-Class N+B Arto 88F
Exp
Been motorhoming for 15yrs.had an American RV for 7yrs,Now got a Niesmann Bischoff Arto 88F
hi there and welcome to MHF(y)
Brian & Jo

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
Hi and welcome, when you say southern Scotland do you mean Dumfries and Galloway or the Borders.

I live in Dumfries and will help you where I can just let me know a rough idea of where your heading.

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
Hi and welcome, when you say southern Scotland do you mean Dumfries and Galloway or the Borders.

I live in Dumfries and will help you where I can just let me know a rough idea of where your heading.

And we are in The Borders and will offer the same as @lorger for this area.

I think your motorhome is too big for our drive :( which is a pity.

What do the children like doing and how old are they? If we know that we could advise more.

Like others have said pick one area and explore that.

Oh, before I forget

"Welcome"

Carol

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2007
North Wales.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
18 years s Motorhome (33years caravans)
Hello Welcome to fun, that is a seriously ambitious mileage you have planned there, I would not try that in 3 weeks and have no children and many years experience. I would do a rethink about doing the Lake District and Scotland or Cornwall and district but doing both would be more of an endurance test than a holiday. When you have thought about your route. Then plan what you need to take as you will not always be near shops so having a supply of essentials is important. If you are thinking of wild camping then you will have to be aware of getting your fresh water and getting rid of your black waste .
As you plan your holiday use the forum to plan ask questions and enjoy your adventure.

O

Old Soldier

Deleted User
Hi, and Welcome.
Others have already said it, don't try to do too much, particularly on your first trip. One, It may put you off, two, you will need a holiday to get over it!!
Stick to one area, say Scotland, it is vast with much to do and see. Save your long distance fuel money and catch a few ferrys to the Isles. Plenty of really good sites throughout the country and the chance to wildcamp in the more remote areas. Finally make sure you have time to see and enjoy what's around you, don't move on without experiencing the local areas, they can all be different in their own ways and leave you all with many memories.

::bigsmile: :welc:

laird of Dunstan

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 15, 2015
lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 9000DFH
Exp
ex caravanner
Welcome to the forum , if it's history stuff your after try Northumberland some nice beaches there too to keep the kids happy ,might be worth joining English heritage if you intend to do a lot of castles and old buildings:welc::welc:

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years
Welcome. I second the statements about this being an ambitious trip. I could easily spend 3 weeks just in S Scotland although midges could reduce the fun at dawn and dusk. Have you considered 3 weeks in Wales?

OP
OP
Jam1996

Jam1996

Free Member
Apr 15, 2015
Doncaster
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet.
Exp
I'm a newbie
The Scottish midge does put us off a bit. We were in Scotland in 2011 and stayed right on Loch Ness and those pesky midges were really bad . Our kids are 3 and 7 , they do travel well but I do wonder whether we are trying to squeeze too much into our first trip. Rethink needed .

Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
Since 2009 with motorhomes several caravans then tents before that.
Hiya. Welcome to fun.
Have a lovely holiday , what ever you decide to do.
But I too think your trying to cover too many Areas / miles in the 3 weeks.
The full length on the country.
You don't want to put the kids off , Bore them , driving all the time. If I were you I'd stick to Yorkshire and the East Coast. First time. Plenty to see and do . No midges.
If you've already seen and been to everywhere there , why not Wales . Loads of lovely places there too.
We did the outer Hebrides for 3 weeks. We didn't have enough time .
It was lovely , there were no midges and we had fab weather too. But we were lucky.
Stick to one region and explore.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back